Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have experience pulling a throttle body from a Ford Explorer 4.0 V6?

Recently I did a MAF sensor/throttle body cleaning (off the car) on my Camaro. Even with only 73,000 miles on the engine, there was a noticeable difference. So I decided that this weekend, I would do the same to my wife`s 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC. It has over 115,000 mile and has only had BASIC maintenance performed, so I know the intake tract has to be NASTY. Too, it is driven stop and go, short trips etc, all those things in the severe service category. Also, her throttle body is more complicated than mine, with the IAC valve and all.

I tried U-Tube, but the closest I got was a guy with a 4.0 Ranger and the set-up was different than the wife`s Explorer. No one else was REMOVING the TB to clean it PROPERLY, so I was wondering if there were any Ford guys (gals) around that could give me some advice?

The MAF sensor is easy, almost exactly like mine, but the TB is different enough to cause a little bit of concern (if I break it, I`ll NEVER hear the end of it).
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone have experience pulling a throttle body from a Ford Explorer 4.0 V6?

Wait for Gearhead
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Wait for Gearhead
    Thanks, I`m not worried so much about pulling the TB as I am about if there are any parts I have to remove from the TB to clean it completely and if there is anything to know about (hazards/tip/tricks) before disassembling it.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

He be the one to know
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Don, your on camaro 5 forum too. 2003 means ( if I remember correctly) that you have the throttle cable still. If that`s the case, simply remove the plastic air plenum. Then, just remove the four bolts facing you on the front of the throttle body. You can leave the cable attached, and the tps sensor wire attached. The throttle body can be tilted in place to clean the back easily. I see no advantage to removing the throttle cable when you can get full backside access with it still attached.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    Hi Don, your on camaro 5 forum too. 2003 means ( if I remember correctly) that you have the throttle cable still. If that`s the case, simply remove the plastic air plenum. Then, just remove the four bolts facing you on the front of the throttle body. You can leave the cable attached, and the tps sensor wire attached. The throttle body can be tilted in place to clean the back easily. I see no advantage to removing the throttle cable when you can get full backside access with it still attached.
    Yep, been on Camaro5 ever since 2015 when I got my `03 LS. You have a valid point about not needing to remove it, but my OCD in detailing bleeds over to most other cleaning activities and if I remove a part on my car, I MUST clean it all before putting it back on LOL.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Don, yes I get that I do the same thing. You can move the TB enough to get access to anything you could with it out of the car. This includes being able to get inside the intake to clean as far as you can reach. The outside of the TB you can spray done with the TB cleaner, or with it still bolted to the intake you can use brake cleaner to clean it up. You also can remove the cable, but I think that`s just extra work that doesn`t yield extra benefits.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I got the first part done. I removed the plastic cover that hides the TB and IAC valve...being over 15 years old, it kind of shattered into pieces LOL.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t give up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    Don`t give up!
    I`m not lol, The plastic cover was old, thin and brittle and snapping like it did was expected. Besides I was going to leave it off when I was done. I`m just waiting for an open half hour or so to get it done - that and for Gearhead to chime in.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Does the throttle body actuator not have a key that the end of the throttle cable slots in or out of? Also looks like just four bolts hold the TB to the manifold. TB will need a new gasket after being separated from the manifold. If there is some type of wired connection with a terminal, just remove the connector.

Maybe this will help:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upmmLwQImms

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    Does the throttle body actuator not have a key that the end of the throttle cable slots in or out of? Also looks like just four bolts hold the TB to the manifold. TB will need a new gasket after being separated from the manifold. If there is some type of wired connection with a terminal, just remove the connector.

Maybe this will help:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upmmLwQImms
    Thanks, every little bit helps.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I missed this. Got to be honest with you, I’ve never had one off of a 4.0 Liter. Have done the 4.6 and the 5.4. Is this not a drive by wire throttle body? I thought they made the switch in 02. If this is a drive by wire throttle body you’ll need to go through a reset. You may already be aware of this. There’s a guy on you tube that goes by FordTechMakuloco. He has a pretty good video on resetting drive by wire TB’s. They’re pretty much all the same on these. If this is a cable pull throttle body I’d leave the TPS on it unless I needed to replace it. It doesn’t gain you anything to pull it and if you don’t touch it, it won’t break. That said, as I remember the cable pulls of that gen didn’t require indexing. I think this is pretty much a straight forward pull 4 bolts, electrical connection deal. I wouldn’t think you’d have a problem pulling it but as others said, what really needs to be cleaned is right behind the throttle plate and you can typically do this with the TB on.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks GearHead, funny, my Camaro has a drive-by-wire throttle body and it didn`t need a reset. On the Explorer, it`s a straight, old-fashioned cable pull TB, with the other end of the cable attached to the gas pedal. I wasn`t planning on pulling TPS off the TB. I originally thought the IAC valve was attached to the TB and was wondering about that, until I found it just downstream of the TB on the intake manifold ... I was/am planning on pulling that to clean it out since the Explorer sometimes idles funny and uneven. I found a video on the IAC and it looks pretty straightforward.

With all the advice I`ve been given, I know now that I don`t have to completely pull the TB off the car, but my OCD WANTS me to, just to make sure I do it right .

The TB itself is black plastic, so I won`t be able to post before & afters of it, but the butterfly is still silver so I will post a before/after pic of that.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Sorry I missed this. Got to be honest with you, I’ve never had one off of a 4.0 Liter. Have done the 4.6 and the 5.4. Is this not a drive by wire throttle body? I thought they made the switch in 02. If this is a drive by wire throttle body you’ll need to go through a reset. You may already be aware of this. There’s a guy on you tube that goes by FordTechMakuloco. He has a pretty good video on resetting drive by wire TB’s. They’re pretty much all the same on these. If this is a cable pull throttle body I’d leave the TPS on it unless I needed to replace it. It doesn’t gain you anything to pull it and if you don’t touch it, it won’t break. That said, as I remember the cable pulls of that gen didn’t require indexing. I think this is pretty much a straight forward pull 4 bolts, electrical connection deal. I wouldn’t think you’d have a problem pulling it but as others said, what really needs to be cleaned is right behind the throttle plate and you can typically do this with the TB on.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Thread Information