Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

All kidding aside, by a certain age people who aren`t fit become downright pitiful and are unable to do a lot of fun stuff. And, should the situation arise, weak feeble people are a lot easier to kill. No thanks.

Glad to see some responses, sorry to hear the colds have interfered.

Burpees..the ones that include a pushup bug my shoulders, but yeah...IMO if every sedentary person merely did 5 minutes of burpees every day they`d be a lot better off.

nickclark08- That sounds good. "Slow and steady wins the race" and all that...And I gotta admit that my general disinterest in high-(empty) calorie stuff like beer/pop/junkfood undoubtedly makes the whole Clean Diet thing a lot easier for me.

House of Wax- Glad to hear you`re ramping up the intensity. Don`t worry about whether you`re doing enough, if you want to wonder about anything, wonder whether you could push yourself harder (once you acclimate to the whole thing).

As we discussed, what was it? Maybe a year/two/??? ago, the goal is to turn your body into a calorie-burning machine that`s like a furnace 24/7 rather than trying to burn off calories while exercising, which is both inefficient and unsustainable long-term.

Post Thanks / Like

Studies on the correlation between levels of fitness and both brain mass and cognitive ability in the aged are, IMO, compelling. I don`t conflate correlation and causation, but still...
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have to get back on the fitness kick. I have been working a lot so I put it off. That should end soon

Post Thanks / Like

whew...just finished tonight`s workout....not ready to be done. Feels like I`m really starting to get some work done with the weights getting heavier. Definitely can feel a difference in strength already
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- Just watch that you don`t make the #1 mistake and let heavier weights result in poor form. If you don`t feel the targeted muscle working 100% of every rep then something`s wrong. Guys do what they gotta to lift (too) heavy poundages and then wonder why they don`t make progress. If the movement can`t be done strictly at a 2:1:2 cadence it`s completely haywire, and I have to do stuff a lot slower than that for it to be effective.

All that "gotta be explosive!" stuff is 100% wrong, as both formal studies and my personal experience have proven. Sorta surprised me given the *other* studies about how electical impulses in the CNS affect voluntary muscle contraction...the (incorrect) idea was that you gotta be explosive enough to attain at least 100 hertz but for some (AFAIK currently unknown) reason it doesn`t work that way IRL. Guys don`t want to believe that though...

And remember, if the targeted muscles don`t get sore later then you probably didn`t work `em right.

Eh, don`t mean to sound so pessimistic just don`t want you to get off-track in the ways that *SO* many people do.

pgp- Just think of your time off as a "lay-off" Muscle strenght/size come back pretty quickly, it`s cardio fitness that`s challenging to keep optimal.

Post Thanks / Like

How`s everybody doin?

Haven`t lost a ton of weight as I`ve been a slacker on the diet end, but man do I feel better all over from the lifting. I can probably feel it in my back the most. My posture has straightened up and I haven`t had a headache in quite awhile. I definitely took notice on our sled trip last week. Usually the first trip of the year I`m pretty sore all over. Not a bit of soreness anywhere.
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m still making good progress on my less-frequent/shorter workouts. Cutting the HIIT back and doing more (very brisk and mostly inclined) walking is working well too, on the days when I *do* do HIIT it`s easier. I always tend to scoff at "overtraining", figuring it`s just excuses for slacking off, but I was definitely overtrained in the sense of outpacing my recovery ability.

House of Wax- Hey, that`s great! Nice to be able to do stuff without developing aches/pains, huh?!? I wouldn`t worry about your bodyweight but rather just concentrate on how much of it`s bodyfat. I only weigh myself once annually, at my physical; I go by how good my definition is, especially my lowermost abs.

Post Thanks / Like

Been battling a chest cold and bronchitis for almost a month now. I`ll be glad to be over and move forward again.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Ok, You guys have inspired me to get more active. As of today I have done (60 Calf raises, 60 sec. Wall sit, 60 sec. Plank, 30 Leg Lifts, 30 Squats and 10 Push Ups). Repeated 3 times for a total of 4 reps. I am exhausted! Two many old sport injuries for any real cardio and or heavy weight training. On to the next day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tc99m View Post
    Ok, Ok, You guys have inspired me to get more active. As of today I have done (60 Calf raises, 60 sec. Wall sit, 60 sec. Plank, 30 Leg Lifts, 30 Squats and 10 Push Ups). Repeated 3 times for a total of 4 reps. I am exhausted! Two many old sport injuries for any real cardio and or heavy weight training. On to the next day.
    well done. keep us up to date with your progress

Post Thanks / Like

I did one sit up (getting out of bed)
    walked (to the bathroom & to get coffee)
    numerous semi-burpees (getting in and out of chair)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Tc99m- Good on you for getting going!

jrock645- Yikes, that`s a long time to be dealing with that. You think you`ve turned the corner?

Rohkh- Yeah yeah..yuck yuck...but seriously, aren`t you the least bit concerned about experiencing some form of debilitation? Telomere shortening, gray matter shrinkage, mitochondrial vulnerability....eventually out-of-shape people can`t do Fun Stuff any more and that`s leaving aside the argument that once humans quit Hunting & Gathering the body figures !it`s time to die! and make room for the next generation. And *that`s* leaving aside how most significant others (and kids) would prefer somebody who`s in shape (for all sorts of reasons).

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, I hope so. Seems like I`m making progress.

Though I just found out biopsy results on a couple skin samples came back as positive for melanoma. So soon I`ll get to have some skin taken out with an ice cream scoop.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Sorry to hear about the melanoma, sounds like they can get it all though. We`ve had lots of that in the family but none that had metastasized so the dermal divots aren`t news to me and they beat the alternative. A pal from my Jag Club wasn`t so lucky and his clock is ticking down Good on you for not letting things slide until it was too late.

Post Thanks / Like

What do all you health nuts eat for breakfast. I need to come up with something good that I can quickly make in the morning or I can premake on sunday and portion out for the week.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information