Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

SERIOUSLY...what`s with people?!?

House of Wax- To be honest, those clips disturbed me to the point that I couldn`t watch them comfortably. "All`s well that ends well!" and all that, but people get damaged by [crap] like that and I`m zero-tolerance when it comes to some things (guess it`s more like "many things" ).

heisenberg- Heh heh...sheesh, bet that [individual] couldn`t do a single pullup to (literally) save his life. And he was using a narrow supinated grip too.

The ability to do pullups/chins has saved my [bacon] a few times, allowed me to avoid serious (i.e., life-altering) injury when it was "grab something and do a pullup *now* or fall a long ways". Of course, 100% my fault that I was *in* those situations, but [stuff] happens (heh heh, especially if you don`t pay attention ).

You`ve (justifiably I suppose ) teased me before about being so [darn] serious about everything all the time, but I don`t know how some people (literally) manage to survive...the expression "too dumb to live" was drilled into me and IMO it`s not mere hyperbole.
    Likes heisenberg liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

With the temps so low that the dogs don`t want to be outside for long, I took a hike on the treadmill this morning. Got me thinking how I sure wish it`d incline enough that I could get a good cardio workout by merely walking on it (ours only goes up to 12°). Replacing it would be pricey though...

Post Thanks / Like

If you do replace it don`t get a treadmill again. Get an elliptical or the new Nordic track cross trek. Better cardio and less jarring to joints. That`s what I`m doing as soon as my mill does south.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    With the temps so low that the dogs don`t want to be outside for long, I took a hike on the treadmill this morning. Got me thinking how I sure wish it`d incline enough that I could get a good cardio workout by merely walking on it (ours only goes up to 12°). Replacing it would be pricey though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    If you do replace it don`t get a treadmill again. Get an elliptical or the new Nordic track cross trek. Better cardio and less jarring to joints. That`s what I`m doing as soon as my mill does south.
    For some reason I simply cannot get my HR up with an elliptical, though I kinda like using them when I`m at a resort/etc. that has such things. If I`n not getting up to at least 170bpm I just walk at "marching band tempo"; I either go *HARD* briefly or I go *EASY* for a long time, with zero in-between...it`s just what works for me.

So if I want to go hard I need a really steep incline.

My Search-Fu is weak, can`t find the Cross Trek though the name sounds familiar. I see their treadmills go up to a 40° incline, and that`d probably do it. Heh heh, my wallet is getting nervous just talking about such stuff!

And yeah, the whole "jarring/joints" thing is why I don`t run..I`m like a spastic robot and only run if IRL conditions truly require it.

Post Thanks / Like

Welp......down to 207.6 from 212. Starting to feel the workouts more as the weight is increasing. Friggin deadlifts man......whew. Pretty crazy how much I can feel it in my core without doing any real "core excercises". I`m really liking this Starting Strength program so far. It`s actually starting to feel like a routine now too. I get home from work and immediately change and head down to the basement to get it done.

Post Thanks / Like

I always loved deadlifting! I miss them but terrible idea with my back. Nothing quite like that feeling of ripping a few hundred pounds off the floor!

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- I`m *REALLY* glad to hear that it`s starting to feel routine, like your New Normal.

And I don`t really do any "core" work either. I do one set for abs and one for obliques maybe weekly, but that`s it.

Deads...these days I only do Romanian/semi-straight-legged ones for my hamstrings, alternate those with Good Mornings like every other w/o. Eh, that`s just me and I`m all about not doing stuff that makes me think "potential injury" even for a second. I never quite felt like I had my deadlift technique exactly right and "close enough" isn`t on the table any more. More power to you guys who do `em correctly though, great movement when your groove is right.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m bumping this as I don`t want this thread to die. If I end up merely talking to myself I can live with that, disappointing as it`d be.

It`s what...three weeks in now. How are things going for everybody? Seeing any results yet?

I`m about back to my pre-Holidays condition, quicker than I`d expected and much quicker than I recommend people aim for.

Cutting my HIIT cardio back to twice/week was a good idea, [freakin`] amazing how little I need and dialing it back like that has undoubtedly helped me shed bodyfat so quickly as it turns out doing it more often *was* costing me muscle/strength-wise. Ditto for cutting back on the volume/frequency of the resistance training. Hard to resist that urge to do more, but it`s simply counterproductive.

Only did *TWO minutes* worth of Tabata intervals on the Airdyne today but those four 20-second work intervals were utterly brutal.

Note that I don`t count walking, even brisk walking at an incline, as being "cardio". To me that`s just "activity", the "gather" part of Hunt & Gather.

Post Thanks / Like

I was doing ok, been battling a nasty cold this past week which has totally derailed me.

Post Thanks / Like

Taking it slow lol. Changed my diet to reduce carbs and increase fruits / vegetables, and cut out alcohol (especially beer) for a while. Gonna start running and body weight exercises here pretty soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I started off great then I got bronchitus and walking pneumonia. Who knew that was an actual thing lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I got out of bed today, so that`s a "sit up"
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I got out of bed today, so that`s a "sit up"
    If you do a small jump when you get out of bed Id call that a Burpee
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

still hanging in there. diet isn`t quite where it needs to be, but doing better. down to 207 from 212 so far. weights are starting to get heavier and feel like I`m really doing some work on the workouts now.

It definitely feels like a routine now which is awesome. actually look forward to my workout nights. would like to do more, but I`m holding back to the 3 days/week that the starting strength program calls for

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    If you do a small jump when you get out of bed Id call that a Burpee
    I can do that sitting too..........
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information