Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Q: You folks like music/video ON or OFF when lifting? What about when doing cardio?

With the exception of Leg Days (when it somehow disrupts my focus), I blast some pretty corny tuneage when I lift, and I distract myself with (what are often equally cheesy) music videos when I do cardio.

I can`t watch/listen to anything that actually requires my attention though, that distraction-thing, and I`m working too hard to think properly about anything serious.
    I pretty much have to have some up tempo music playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    I pretty much have to have some up tempo music playing.
    That makes sense to me! Though I sometimes go with slow stuff during my Ab work and/or when I do Finger Extensions (with Iron Mind Expand Your Hands Bands) at the end of my Forearm/Grip workouts.
    Thanks PeteStac thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

On the subject of diets, my wife and I did the Whole 30 plan back in October, which basically sets you up for a modified Paleo as your "long-term" diet.

First week was rough, but Energy and Mental clarity were off the charts after that. The book is an easy read, and delves into discussions about how food affects hormones, insulin imbalances, etc.

Even if you don`t follow the diet, I would highly recommend the book for the nutritional science part.

Book is called "It starts with food"
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, I disagree completely with the Jones/Mentzer idea that resistance training alone (done a certain way, i.e. circuit training) can subsitute for cardio. That approach doesn`t work for me on either score, not at all. In fact...

The first Big Change I made that really paid off was increasing my rest period between work sets to however long I feel necessary. I don`t rest for so long that I cool off, but I`ll go several minutes even when working small muscle groups and I virtually take a vacation between sets for my upper legs and back Time-wise it evens out since I`m not doing many sets any more. (Yesterday I did three each for Chest and Tris, one for middle Delts, and I`m extremely sore today. That`ll do for those muscle groups for at least a dozen days.)
    Id always thought Mentzer was a fan of doing high intensity sprints. And as for Jones, I will say that when doing HIT, the intense workouts with the high heart rate and breathing did improve my ability to handle cardio. I don`t recall saying that it replaced cardio but ai do buy into the idea, since I experienced it, that HIT trains the cardiovascular output just as well as it does the muscular.

Post Thanks / Like

found a vid of Accumulator on his stairmaster.....

https://youtu.be/koDUwXZsado

Post Thanks / Like

health wise: debating quitting smoking- gotta do it sooner than later
    fitness: no issues there, hell quitting smoking would improve my fitness as well

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- Heh heh heh....that was good. Actually, I`d kinda like to try one of those contraptions some day, but our cardio area doesn`t have any room for more stuff so I`m trying to not tempt myself and it looks like that thing would need some ceiling height.

Hey, that vid did bring up something worth mentioning- people touching the siderails when using such devices. NO NO NO...IIRC, one study found that merely touching the rails *at all* knocked the intensity down by 15%.

nickclark08- I like the way you experienced good mental clarity. You folks think you`ll be able to stick with your Diet long-term?

I`m *really* lucky in that I do OK with most anything that`s sensible in the conventional sense so I can go along with what works for Accumulatorette.

While I`m probably not gonna change how I eat, I will keep an eye out for that book since the more you know the more you know.

jrock545- Mentzer was, uhm...all over the place when it came to cardio, doing LONG bike rides/etc. But hey, he was a competitive bodybuilder and he had some major back issues. Eh, truth is that other then during contest prep, he carried a lot more fat than I ever would...no idea what his actual cardiovascular health was like but I suspect it wasn`t all that great.

While a set of squats/deads can really get me breathing, I never noticed any benefit from that kind of demand with regard to transferring to my cardio sessions. Eh, probably just me. What I do experience is some leg muscle effects from my cardio on the Airdyne, doesn`t happen with the StairMaster.

512Detail- Despite probably coming across as a bit of a health nut, I simply *LOVED* smoking (something else Mentzer and I had in common)...few things in life pleased me more than a Camel non or a good cigar or my pipes. I didn`t smoke much (<2 cigs day/annual avg for the last ~20 years I did it), and/but to my surprise switching to ecigs made a big diff in my cardio after a while. I never had any "problems"...never worrisomely short of breath or hacking or anything like that, but after maybe 6 months on the ecigs the cardio suddenly got a bit easier.

FWIW, for decades now I`ve quit such stuff (drinking too) for the first part of the year (usually 6 weeks) and I`ve never had any withdrawal-type effects, just not wired that way.

Post Thanks / Like

The gym I used to go to had one of those machines. Hands down, there is no other piece of fitness equipment that has ever destroyed me as much as that thing. Within minutes I`d be drenched in sweat.

Post Thanks / Like

The gym I used to go to had one of those machines. Hands down, there is no other piece of fitness equipment that has ever destroyed me as much as that thing. Within minutes I`d be drenched in sweat.
    Huh, interesting! Now I`m gonna be tempted all over again Certain types of exertion have an odd appeal to me, and that looks like it might qualify for some reason.

For me, nothing is as tough as the AirDyne..nothing in my *LIFE* has ever been as hard as those 3-4 minutes and only two-thirds of that time is actual work!

Post Thanks / Like

I`d love to try a versaclimber but good god they`re expensive! Rowing machine would be great to have, and much more reasonably priced but would probably be horrible for my back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I`d love to try a versaclimber but good god they`re expensive!

Yeah, I figured. My StairMaster PT4000 was a wedding gift..lucky us...and it`s only needed 1 servicing since 1989. Simply *LOVE* that thing though I wish it`d go faster at top-speed the way the newer models do (mine is "slower but with slightly more resistance" by comparison) and that I could input my own "program" instead of having to put it on "manual" and push the buttons all the time to do my version of intervals (the factory Interval Program is [crap]).

Rowing machine would be great to have, and much more reasonably priced but would probably be horrible for my back.
    Accumulatorette has one that she likes, but for the life of me I can`t get a properly challenging workout on it. And yeah, it`s not exactly back-friendly.

If you get one, I`d get a Concept2, wish we had one of those instead of what we do have. Clarence Bass loves the Concept2, and he`s usually spot-on (not that I agree with *him* about everything either).

Ever look into the Concept2 SkiErg? I think that`s what it`s called...that`s another thing Bass likes. Sheesh, that guy`s 79 now and I bet he can still put me on the trailer any day of the week.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I figured. My StairMaster PT4000 was a wedding gift..lucky us...and it`s only needed 1 servicing since 1989. Simply *LOVE* that thing though I wish it`d go faster at top-speed the way the newer models do (mine is "slower but with slightly more resistance" by comparison) and that I could input my own "program" instead of having to put it on "manual" and push the buttons all the time to do my version of intervals (the factory Interval Program is [crap]).

Accumulatorette has one that she likes, but for the life of me I can`t get a properly challenging workout on it. And yeah, it`s not exactly back-friendly.

If you get one, I`d get a Concept2, wish we had one of those instead of what we do have. Clarence Bass loves the Concept2, and he`s usually spot-on (not that I agree with *him* about everything either).

Ever look into the Concept2 SkiErg? I think that`s what it`s called...that`s another thing Bass likes. Sheesh, that guy`s 79 now and I bet he can still put me on the trailer any day of the week.
    Itd be a toss up between a concept2 or a water tower for me. Those water rowers just look so classy, and easier to move around. But they`re both expensive and I just couldn`t imagine spending that exclusively for myself at the risk of winding up in the hospital again.

Versaclimbers are like $3k, nuts! There`s a cheap one available for like 200, but my guess is it`s garbage. I don`t like buying throwaway stuff.

That bowflex max trainer looks great but I won`t buy something like that until I`m in a house.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, that does look classy! But yeah...IMO rowing machines just aren`t for everybody and that probably includes you and me.

The only times I`ve used a VersaClimber were in gyms I was visiting, and I never got a properly squared-away feel for it. I was working, but my HR didn`t get up all that high for all the effort I was expending and that`s what I`m after- roughly 170+ bpm workouts that don`t interfere with my other training/activities.

I`m leery of Bowflex stuff...I have one of their multi-station machines and for the life of me I can`t keep the pulleys from binding with heavy resistance (gave it to my late father, who did like it as he used ligher resistance). And I can`t keep track of who owns "Bowflex" (is it still Schwinn?).

Much as I hate to admit it, and hate to use the thing, I`ve never found anything functionally better than the AirDyne. It messes with Accumulatorette`s knees though, so I guess it`s not for everybody either. Used ones are dirt-cheap though and there`s basically nothing to wear out. I gave my dad`s 1970s model to a friend and it`s still fine, wish she`d trade me as I like it better than my newer one.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, which one of you jabronis is in this video?:

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, which one of you jabronis is in this video?:

Nice recovery by the guy around ~50 secs.

https://youtu.be/gJ3cRBcPU-Q

here`s a favorite motivational gym workout of mine

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information