Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

The Guz- At 6` 1" I bet you`d can carry 200lbs *really* well! I like the idea of taking a year (or two...or three ) rather than six months, but it`s easy for me to be patient with somebody else`s progress!

jrock645- I was just doing my usual poke-Ron-with stick, and I agree 100%, most *everything* we`re discussing is easier said than done and I sure don`t want to trivialize anybody`s challenges.

And I hear you on the "steal your will" aspect of back problems. My pal Bob (he of the Jag MKII) was facing spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair and it was really messing with him. Fortunately, a new Doc (incredibly) diagnosed a completely different problem from what they`d always thought and one additional surgery later he`s better than he`s been in decades. He`s walking/standing normally now, which he`d never done since I`ve known him.

Eh, I do know a *little* bit about back problems first-hand, having spent a while hospitalized (in traction and on a Demerol drip) over *my* back problem back in the `90s. That was, uhm...a wakeup call for me, but it was only a few weeks out of my life and then I was OK most of the time (still kept some meds handy though, but haven`t needed `em for years now). Note that when I was going through that the Medical Professionals were saying I had to stop lifting when they should`ve said how I just needed to do things differently, which was the real, long-term solution.

DOMS- I`m weird I guess with DOMS as I actively seek it and consider it great. But then DOMS is very different from injury. And I can just take it easy for a few days and recover if I overdo things, not so easy for people who have jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    House of Wax- Comparing our TG numbers sorta put that matter into perspective, huh?

I`ll be interested to hear whether your Doc dismisses the Fish Oil as, well...Snake Oil Mine initially did (he`s been my "new MD" since my previous one transferred to in-Hospital), but after a while he came around due to my results (and after I pointed out some flaws in the studies he referred to...that actually had me questioning his, uhm..thinking skills...and we had to have a discussion about *that* too). I guess it`s understandable as virtually none of the Fish Oil/Omega 3 studies use genuinely Therapeutic Doses and even some of those that do have...suspicious...summaries that 1) are the only thing many people read/quote and 2) actually *misstate* the findings in the body of the study. I hate to sound like a conspiracy nut, but sure seems like there`s something going on when an effective therapy can`t get traction.

Heh heh..."I bet if I increase my Fish Oil it`ll drop my TG numbers even more...let`s find out." "See, told ya so.."

Oh, forgot to mention, my HDL numbers are especially good in part because I take Niacin, but that "test-result improvement number" might not translate into any actual health benefit, studies are mixed but I`ve never looked into it all that deeply as it`s sure not hurting anything and the "feel that flushing" effect from the Niacin makes me feel like !gee, I`m sure doing something effective! whether I really am or not

Oh#2, don`t let anybody talk you into *Omega6* supplements. Short version: they simply don`t do the same stuff and can have negative consequences. One of those "why do people believe that and suplement with that [stuff]?!?" things that just won`t die ("I take Flax Sees Oil!" = "sorry to hear that, maybe oughta check your premises buddy").

An eye opener for sure. I`ll be curious to see what the results come back as this time. I did some reading of what causes numbers to be that high, and everything I came across pointed towards being very obese, diabetes, or certain meds. While overweight for sure, I don`t think I was anywhere near morbidly obese, I don`t have diabetes, and not on any meds. I even specifically remember when the nurse called me with the results telling me "for example, if you`re like 300 lbs. you need to lose at least 30+". I was like how big do you think I am? haha. We`ll see.

What are you HDL #`s? Mine were only 35, once again under the threshold for "healthy"

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- Avoiding diabetes now is a lot better than beating it later

My HDL was 82 the last time. It`s been around 80 since I started with the Niacin, was a bit lower, 70s, before that. It`s been good ever since I got serious about the Fish Oil, and was only in the 40s when I was taking less. SEEMED like a pretty clear cause/effect....I`m kinda "OK, whatever works" about it.

My wife did the Niacin and got a nice bump (also into the 80s) but hated the flushing. (The non-flushing Niacin DOES NOT work for this.) She quit taking it but her HDL has stayed up there anyhow! Go figure...

And on the "obesity, morbid and otherwise" topic, IMO our society has gotten things kinda skewed since so many people are overweight these days.

Post Thanks / Like

An hour and ten minutes at the doc`s office just get blood drawn to get a lipid panel done......its a good thing they took my BP at the beginning

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    An hour and ten minutes at the doc`s office just get blood drawn to get a lipid panel done..
    Good heavens! I get my bloodwork done a week or so ahead of my Physical, goes quick and easy but my ins won`t cover having it done there (not that they cover much of anything..). But I *do* always take a book with me anyhow....and then treat myself to a Denny`s bfast after it`s done

Heh heh, the gals who draw it love me...easiest subject ever what with my vascularity (the vein they want is *right there*, they joke about how the Policy says they have to tie me off even though it`s sure not necessary), and I kinda enjoy the whole process.

Post Thanks / Like

So it`s pretty sweet having a sponsored power lifter as a neighbor friend.....

www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes SgtMajUSMC, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Got the results back already from my blood test this morning......very relieved. Blood pressure was 131/73, which has been higher than that for the last several years (plus I`m always higher in the doc office, so I`m guessing it`s normally even better). Triglyceride level came down from 583 to 112. HDL (good cholesterol) went from 35 to 48. Both of those are now in the "good" range. My HDL/triglyceride ratio is now at 4.5 which is borderline "low risk". LDL is a tick high yet, but close to the "good" range.

Quite a relief. I did not expect it to come back that good. I guess there`s something to this whole being healthy thing lol

www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes Tc99m, SgtMajUSMC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- Hey, that improvement in the numbers is *great*! Helps with the motivation, huh?

I *am* confused by the HDL/TG ratio number though... I`m getting 48 : 112 = ~.43 (Oh man, I almost didn`t post that as I don`t want to be a downer )

But the TG going from >500 to 112...wow.

And wow#2, that`s a lot of supplements from your neighbor! Anything you really like/don`t?

Post Thanks / Like

Typo....it was the Chol/HDL ratio that was 4.5

I just got all that stuff last night so I haven`t had a chance to mess with it much yet. Probably 60% of what`s there is their creatine which I`m pretty pumped to get because I was about ready to order some. The rest of what`s there is some pre workout and post workout, a couple of different "fat burners", and an amino acid/electrolyte supplement. I don`t think I`m gonna bother with the fat burner stuff, but the rest I`ll try out. today is a rest day, so I`ll mess with it tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- Ah, OK...thanks for explaining that typo.

[REPEAT my 5g/day creatine recommendation ] Let it take a while...though I recognize that I keep saying that about everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    House of Wax- Ah, OK...thanks for explaining that typo.

[REPEAT my 5g/day creatine recommendation ] Let it take a while...though I recognize that I keep saying that about everything.
    Thats the plan. The sample packs are 5grams/pack, so it`ll be an easy 1/day. Should last me quite awhile

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- Ah, that sounds perfect! Sure hope the stuff works as well for you as it did for me.. gained 8lbs in the right places (no, I don`t care if "it`s mostly just water" as some might argue) and really boosted my performance. Creatine`s what got me over the 160lb threshold back when I was about your age, was stuck at 155 for years (which was still a lot better than 125).

Are the sample packs flavored? Do they contain sugar of some kind? And no, I don`t knock that; I mix my creatine with a grape juice even though I don`t think it has enough sugar to do the supposed "increased uptake via Insulin Response" thing.

Post Thanks / Like

It is flavored. I think Cherry Limeade was the flavor....was actually pretty darn good. Just looked at the content list and didn`t see any sugar. The last time I used creatine was back in High School (I`ll refrain from stating how long ago that was lol), but I do remember it being effective

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- Ah, that all sounds great

I`ll be especially interested to hear if it improves your *cardio*, another benefit that kinda surprised me, if only because that was the thing that quickly suffered when I tried going off it.

Post Thanks / Like

This whole eating healthy is great and all, but I feel like I do nothing but cook, prepare meals, and clean up kitchen mess anymore

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread Information