Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    House of Wax- PROPS for posting the pix! And that`s some impressive improvement you`re pulling off so ixnay on the dissatisfaction. Everybody responds a little differently and you`re doing fine.

Consider: how long did it take you to *gain* the unwanted weight? None of this stuff, good or bad, happens overnight.

[Heck] I`m not even looking at your waistline, I`m thinking how I`d tweak your workouts to increase some muscle in certain places BTW, your back`s looking good.

I think I got some of the same pre-workout supps with one of my orders too...haven`t taken any of `em yet. I tried various ones back in the day, got a *BIG* performance boost from the original Ultimate Orange (now decontented into something safe and far less effective). Used Nitric Oxide supps for a while and/but quit `em, sure did get a PUMP on them but overall no real lasting benefit. IMO most such stuff has placebo doses of "sound good" ingredients, which probably have zero therapeutic benefit for the workout that follows their ingestion. I mean...there`s zero evidence that taking a gram of creatine pre-workout will have *ANY* effect on that workout. None, it just doesn`t work that way, but it sounds good to say "includes one gram of creatine!" so they throw it in.
    Thanks for the kind words man. Yeah.....I sat last night and stared at those pictures for quite awhile and did a little self reflection. The part of your response I highlighted is something I really need to keep in mind whenever I get frustrated. I`m an incredibly impatient person. Despite what the scale reads, the progress that the pictures show is pretty satisfying with only about 3.5 months of work. Keep grinding and in another 3.5 months I should be in a pretty good place. I`m really glad I took those pictures before I started. One quick glance is incredibly motivating.....I don`t want to ever resemble anything even remotely close to that again.

My new workout plan has some more focus on isolating/working all the various upper body parts, so I`m excited to hopefully start forming some more definition there. Still have a killer lower body day in my workout though.....can`t forget leg day haha

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of supplements and their effectiveness/not....ANYBODY else here taking Therapeutic Doses of Omega 3s? How about Polyphenols? I`m such a fanboy for those two...but that`s based on the (completely unexpected) results I experience with `em. I initially took `em thinking I`d say what a load of BS it is....predisposed towards not noticing any benefit.

If nothing else, it`s great to be hangover-proof (that`s the first significant effect I experienced with Omega 3s).

Can you elaborate on your experience with the Omega 3? What is a "therapeutic dose"? I`m planning on picking up a few supplements here soon (some creatine, some whey protein, possibly a multivitamin) and fish oil for omega3 was on my short list.

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- I like the sound of your (version of) introspection...self-critical but in a *good* way.

Heh heh, while I know it`s not applicable to what you`re doing, I can`t help but think to myself "if he`d just throw away that scale I bet it`d be all good" Keep reminding yourself that muscle weighs more than fat...more muscle on your back + less fat on your midsection = great progress no matter what the scale`s numbers are.

And heh heh#2, I *wish* I could forget Leg Day! I had to split mine up into upper/lower-Leg Days, if only for the psych factor (and I`m not averse to tough workouts ). Wasn`t sure about that idea at first, but it turned out great. Eh, easy for me to advocate that since I work out at home.

The general rule-of-thumb is that a Therapeutic Dose of Omega 3s = min. of 5grams EPA + DHA (ignore the other "fats" in it, they don`t count in this context). That`s quite a bit of Fish Oil, but people just take a few capsules and then think "eh, this stuff doesn`t do anything". If, OTOH, they took enough, for long enough, they`d undoubtedly benefit (OK....IMO they would, but the studies where subjects actually take enough are pretty convincing). Best to build up to that dose over a period of time and to always split it up into multiple doses, less chance of, uhm....gastrointestinal side-effects. In case I didn`t mention it, I take 5 capsules with bfast, one after each of a few meals during the day, and then 4-5 after dinner to reach a total of ~12 capsules/day. That adds up to about 7.2g EPA + DHA/day. People with serious health issues oughta take more, but I don`t need that. FWIW, my Doc looked at my cholesterol/triglyceride numbers and was *very* interested in what I`m doing And that "hangover proof" thing really got his attention as my idea of Drinking (with that capital "D" ) is, uhm...different from his "a few scotch-and-waters". Short version- it`s all about reducing (all forms of) inflamation as much as possible.

DON`T buy cheap Fish Oil! Besides the contamination issues (heavy metals...) the cheap stuff is more likely to cause issues. I don`t buy the really pricey stuff my wife takes (OK, I probably should given how much I take), but I won`t touch the cheap stuff.

If you don`t mind spendy, my wife says that the stuff she takes (Dr. Sears/The Zone`s OmegaRx, or at least I think that`s what they call it) in *liquid form* mixes up in her Protein Drink/Meal Replacement Powder without any nasty-fishy taste. Never tried doing that myself, but some folks don`t like handfuls of capsules. The liquid Fish Oil that we give our dogs is, uhm...well, I won`t take it even though its purity is OK.

I`m taking Dr. Sears/The Zone brand PolyphenolsRx, one-two/day, plus I eat a lot of grapefruit/blueberries/etc. The polyphenols help prevent the Fish Oil from oxidizing, especially important if not taking top-shelf brands. I did OK *not* taking it, but decided it was a good idea and there was a slight improvement to my already-great cholesterol numbers so maybe it does something. Less oxidation is good, period, and polyphenols help with that.

DO NOT load the creatine! It`s not necessary and the side-effects from taking a lot can be, uhm...dramatic with an emphasis on the "drama". Stick with 5g/day and after a month or so you`ll reach the same level of satuation as with the loading but with a greatly reduced chance of memorable issues that`d keep you locked in the bathroom for a while. Drink a *LOT* of water if using creatine (eh, do that anyhow).
    Likes SgtMajUSMC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Whew, that`s a lot of fish oil haha. Roughly how much a month do you think you spend on that? If I remember correctly, my triglyceride #`s were way out of whack when I had my blood test done last, so anything to get those down would be awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out NOW Ultra Omega 3. Best bang for the buck I`ve found. I try to take 6 per day.

Post Thanks / Like

The Guz- Congrates on your progress!

Not to be all "I know best.." or anything, but I`d think that building muscle would be extremely beneficial to the leaning out as it`ll boost your overall metabolism. I *always* find it easiest to get/stay lean when I`m at my most muscular (as long as I eat right). Plus, depending on one`s age the whole "loss of TypeII muscle fibers" thing means the clock is ticking...

Consider: how long did it take you to *gain* the unwanted weight? None of this stuff, good or bad, happens overnight.
    Thanks. Well technically muscle mass is building. DDP is based off dynamic resistance and uses ones body to build muscle. So it`s doing both leaning out and muscle building.

My quads, triceps, shoulders, back, glutes and even abs are becoming more developed. It`s also developing my core strength.

I`m not trying to be the worlds strongest man here lol.

Doctors orders to lose weight and get to 200 lbs. Diabetes runs on both sides of the family so the doc put me on a 3 month check up to make sure my weight is going down. Blood pressure also runs on both sides. So trying to either prolong it for later in lifer or not get either at all.

Plus as an asthma suffer since birth, I`m developing my cardio and stamina.

I`ll eventually mix some strength training into the mix.

Already changed my diet and portions. The problem for me is the office job and not being active.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Whew, that`s a lot of fish oil haha. Roughly how much a month do you think you spend on that?
    I did the math once, but forget how it worked out. OK, let`s see...

When I start getting low, I shop online and see who has the best price at that moment. Last order came from Vitacost: 240 capsules @ 38.47/bottle x 6 was 230.82, got a discount of 46.16 for buyng the right quantity at the right time so the total was 184.66 for 1440 capsules or about 0.13/capsule. If I take 372/month that comes to $48.36/month. Compare the EPA + DHA (400 + 200) to make sure they`re equivalent, and compare my numbers with the cost of the NOW Ultra Omega 3 that jrock645 likes. That oughta give you a general idea.

If I remember correctly, my triglyceride #`s were way out of whack when I had my blood test done last, so anything to get those down would be awesome.
    IMO there are a whole lotta factors that determine triglyceride #s (and HDL/LDL too), but considering that I basically eat whatever I want (OK, I usually want pretty healthy fare, but I`m sure no vegan healthnut) my TG started around 80 a decade ago when I started taking more Fish Oil. They dropped over the years and had been between 40-50 for quite a while, but recently dropped to 34 (!) since I started eating more nuts and taking the polyphenols.

My wife (who studies this stuff more than I do) is all about the HDL : TG ratio, and at 82 : 34 mine is apparently very good. Just FWIW, my LDL is very consistent, always in the upper 70s.

Not bad for a guy who loves his Denny`s bfasts

The Guz- Ah, OK...sounds like you`re doing well. The asthma sure doesn`t make it easier, huh?!? Nor the sedentary workdays in the office, that`s a tough one to work around (my best friend has the exact same problem- at a desk for ~10hrs/day). Sigh...people just aren`t designed for what a "normal person`s day" is in the modern world.

IME once you get used to different portion sizes it simply becomes the New Normal. But then you`re eating more often and that doesn`t exactly go with the office job.

Does that 200lb weight goal seem like a big challenge? Seeing the Doc every quarter might be good in a lot of ways..help keep you on-track.

Post Thanks / Like

<---- back is screwed.

Think I burned 3000 calories every time I try to get up.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the breakdown Accumulator. I don`t remember what my tri/hdl/ldl #`s were.....should try to find that info again

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh....I was all pumped up to workout after work this afternoon. Until I saw it was leg day lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap. I just pulled up the last blood test I had (which was back in the summer of 2015. Didn`t think it was that long ago). Your triglyceride levels are apparently supposed be under 150......mine were at 583

Needless to say, I`ll be calling the doctor next week to set up a blood test and see where I`m at now. Also looking around it looks like you can actually get a prescription of fish oil to help lower those #`s....thinkin maybe I can talk to her about that and get a prescription dose of fish oil without havin to spend a fortune every month (our insurance is awesome)

Post Thanks / Like

The Guz- Ah, OK...sounds like you`re doing well. The asthma sure doesn`t make it easier, huh?!? Nor the sedentary workdays in the office, that`s a tough one to work around (my best friend has the exact same problem- at a desk for ~10hrs/day). Sigh...people just aren`t designed for what a "normal person`s day" is in the modern world.

IME once you get used to different portion sizes it simply becomes the New Normal. But then you`re eating more often and that doesn`t exactly go with the office job.

Does that 200lb weight goal seem like a big challenge? Seeing the Doc every quarter might be good in a lot of ways..help keep you on-track.
    Asthma is not fun at all. Mines under control unlike my brother. If I was a good swimmer that would be ideal for an asthmatic.

I agree with you. The office job is killer as are the junk food in all these meetings. Good thing I don`t have a sweet tooth.

I`ve been managing portion control. But instead of reaching for junk food, I`ll reach for some fruit or just water.

The 200 pound goal seems reachable and challenging. I was always around 220-240 at 6`1. I got up to 255 last year due to stress and my grandparents passing away. Left me feeling a tad depressed.

The doctor changed my perspective on a healthy life style. I`m giving myself 6 months to a year to get to my goal.

I feel much better now at 236 (currently). I just keep pushing forward dropping a couple pounds a week.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    <---- back is screwed.

Think I burned 3000 calories every time I try to get up.
    Maybe you oughta reconsider your, uhm...fitness regimen so your back`s happier. You know, the "strong abs make for a happy back" sort of thing...

And yeah I know a bit about real back issues as Accumulatorette has had some *major* spinal surgeries. She gained over 1.5" in height from one of `em!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you oughta reconsider your, uhm...fitness regimen so your back`s happier. You know, the "strong abs make for a happy back" sort of thing...

And yeah I know a bit about real back issues as Accumulatorette has had some *major* spinal surgeries. She gained over 1.5" in height from one of `em!
    Its easier said than done. Back issues will really mess with your head and steal your will. Mine has been flaring up the past week or so. Both my lower back and had an unusual cervical flare up making me unable to lift my elbow away from my body. Adjustment fixed it but youre still not right for a couple of days.

Yeah, some biking and core/stability exercises would do me good but when DOMS messes with your perception of how your back feels it can be a little scary. If youve ever had a major back episode, its easy to get leery of that happening again. Im working with a new chiropractor, so hopefully ill be in position to get started up again here soon.

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- Comparing our TG numbers sorta put that matter into perspective, huh?

I`ll be interested to hear whether your Doc dismisses the Fish Oil as, well...Snake Oil Mine initially did (he`s been my "new MD" since my previous one transferred to in-Hospital), but after a while he came around due to my results (and after I pointed out some flaws in the studies he referred to...that actually had me questioning his, uhm..thinking skills...and we had to have a discussion about *that* too). I guess it`s understandable as virtually none of the Fish Oil/Omega 3 studies use genuinely Therapeutic Doses and even some of those that do have...suspicious...summaries that 1) are the only thing many people read/quote and 2) actually *misstate* the findings in the body of the study. I hate to sound like a conspiracy nut, but sure seems like there`s something going on when an effective therapy can`t get traction.

Heh heh..."I bet if I increase my Fish Oil it`ll drop my TG numbers even more...let`s find out." "See, told ya so.."

Oh, forgot to mention, my HDL numbers are especially good in part because I take Niacin, but that "test-result improvement number" might not translate into any actual health benefit, studies are mixed but I`ve never looked into it all that deeply as it`s sure not hurting anything and the "feel that flushing" effect from the Niacin makes me feel like !gee, I`m sure doing something effective! whether I really am or not

Oh#2, don`t let anybody talk you into *Omega6* supplements. Short version: they simply don`t do the same stuff and can have negative consequences. One of those "why do people believe that and suplement with that [stuff]?!?" things that just won`t die ("I take Flax Sees Oil!" = "sorry to hear that, maybe oughta check your premises buddy").

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread Information