Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

House of Wax- Heh heh, then I can quit beating you over the head with it

But yeah...IMO feeling "worn down" is a clue that something`s haywire. Sure, a hard workout will have some after-effects, but generally exercising should make you feel better instead of worse. Even if you feel OK, if progress stalls that might be a clue.
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Time for me to get back into it. The bronchitis and melanoma extractions really got me out of rhythm these last couple months. Good news is the cardio won`t take long to build back up and the military calisthenics were designed to get you in shape quickly.

Got the diet cleaned up the past couple weeks. Other than cheating on the weekends, I`ve done pretty well. Just gotta stop hitting the bottle, though the occupation of exercise should help with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

Heh heh, I have to laugh when some [individual] in a magazine supposedly has 5%. .
    Believe it or not- when I played soccer in college, I was 2.5%.
    My coach said if it was anyone other than me, he`d take them to the hospital

Post Thanks / Like

craigdt- Yikes, at that level you`re probably lucky you didn`t incur injuries while playing!

At ~5% certain, uhm...contact activities...convinced me that I needed a higher bodyfat level to avoid injury/heal and recover quicker and have energy during periods when I couldn`t eat all the time. Not to mention people kept looking at me funny and asking if I was OK. But then I was well past college-age at the time too, late-30s.

jrock645- That bronchitis sure can hang on, huh?!?

How long do you think it`ll take to get back to par on the cardio? I can never quite do the "one week for each week off", always takes me longer to get back to where I was and trying to accelerate the process only makes things worse.

Drinkin` never seems to really factor in with me, I exercise earlier in the day and do any drinking at night. And the wonders of Fish Oil continue to render me hangover-proof.

Post Thanks / Like

Won`t take me very long. I was always a natural endurance athlete. Give me 3 weeks and I`ll be in a good spot from a cardio standpoint. In HS, I trained for and ran a 15 mile race in less than 6 weeks never having run more than 6 miles. I finished feeling like I could`ve finished a full marathon. Cardio/endurance is easy for me but gaining strength and muscle is a different story.

These calisthenics workouts factor heavily, almost a HIIT workout. The Marines have a name for it, can never remember- it`s the basic PT they wake the recruits up with every morning before the marching, drilling etc.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- This is another perfect example of how different people are different- some are just build for endurance from birth.

I wonder:
    1) maybe your ratio of fast:slow twitch muscle fibers is responsible for both the endurance ability and the challenge gaining strength/mass. Could be just how you`re put together.

2) even if not, combining endurance work with gains in strength/mass is one very tricky balancing act.

One thing I found hard to accept was that I do have limitations, no matter how "dedicated" I am and it`s not really a matter of "wanting it badly enough" or "working hard enough". Scare-quotes intentional and so often that [stuff] is, at root, a means of selling something.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else use a Dynamic Axial Resistance Device ("DARD") to work the Tibialis Anterior?

Link: Dynamic Axial Resistance Device (DARD)

One set, *maybe* with a second using the resistance bands instead of the DARD, every time I work Lower Legs (about once/12-16 days).

It did take me a while to get dialed-in with it, and when *I* say "a while"...well, it wasn`t just a few months. Initially it hurt my left ankle and I had to experiment to find a solution (solution = lightish weight + slow, deliberate motion + slightly angled bench + emphasizing top part of ROM).

After a few years of using it the front of my lower legs has definite muscularity that just wasn`t there before. Can`t say it helped with shin splints since these days I don`t run enough to suffer from them, but I bet it doesn`t hurt in that regard. And having some more muscle there provides a little protection when something bangs into my shins.

Post Thanks / Like

never heard of such a thing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- It`s another of those "no weak links!" things that I try to work on.

How`re *YOUR* workouts going? Is that frequency/volume stuff I`m always concerned about still working OK for you?

Post Thanks / Like

between rain a few of the mornings and and just being busy last week I only got a couple workouts in, so hard to say volume wise. felt good to run again though, and the couple workouts I did on this new plan I`m doing definitely had me sore. should get a good full week in this week and looking forward to it

Post Thanks / Like

I walked into the sandwich shop.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I walked into the sandwich shop.
    I grilled up some bacon cheddar cheeseburgers last night and it was damn near euphoric lol

www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    I grilled up some bacon cheddar cheeseburgers last night and it was damn near euphoric lol

Pics or it didn`t happen.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

sorry, no pics. they didn`t last long enough

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    sorry, no pics. they didn`t last long enough

Well standing at the grill IS exercise.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread Information