Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Confessions Thread

Also: Sometimes, no matter what I was doing to the car, I clean just the interior mirror glass.

How people can drive around with them so dingy/Achoo-funk spotted up is beyond me.

Post Thanks / Like

Oneheadlite- Glad to hear you got a handle on your Anger issues. Useful for fueling certain types of action in some (extremely rare) circumstances, otherwise basically worthless.

I`m still using up my Griot`s Interior Cleaner, but after decades and countless gallons of it, I think I just might switch to something like the 3D APC, which cleans a lot better for me. The Griot`s is just so mild that I usually reach for an Interior QD instead unless I need more cleaning power than the Griot`s provides anyhow. But I agree completely about how it cleans without altering anything and it basically doesn`t require a separate rinse step.

I can`t get ONR/IUDJ to work for me as Glass Cleaners But yeah, it sure does a nice job on a whole lotta surfaces, though I use mine primarily in the house rather than for vehicles (I`m using the old v2.0 ONR too, not their W&W which I bet is even better).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Also: Sometimes, no matter what I was doing to the car, I clean just the interior mirror glass..
    Yeah, absolutely! Hey, you already have your Glass Cleaning stuff out anyhow, might as well spend a moment doing that. I give the mirror`s housing a quick wipe too, at least in shared vehicles where somebody`s always grabbing it to adjust the thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    does an orchestra play in the background?
    Belated thought- Cue the Wagner, as I stride into the wash bay with a foamgun in each hand.
    Likes Oneheadlite, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, absolutely! Hey, you already have your Glass Cleaning stuff out anyhow, might as well spend a moment doing that. I give the mirror`s housing a quick wipe too, at least in shared vehicles where somebody`s always grabbing it to adjust the thing.
    I meant if it was an oil change or timing cover gaskets, not necessarily a bout of obsessive I-just-have-to-clean-this-thing...
    Good point about the mirror housing. I have to be careful spending too much time on it though- it`s technically not part of the job, it`s just my sympathy for the machine that`s so neglected.

Like finding an abandoned puppy: you just want to scoop it up, give it some love, and assure it wasn`t it`s fault.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant if it was an oil change or timing cover gaskets, not necessarily a bout of obsessive I-just-have-to-clean-this-thing...
    Good point about the mirror housing. I have to be careful spending too much time on it though- it`s technically not part of the job, it`s just my sympathy for the machine that`s so neglected...
    Plus, some of those surfaces you`ll have to touch...I bet you get vehicles where you wear gloves to keep [stuff] from getting on your hands, rather than the other way around.

Like finding an abandoned puppy: you just want to scoop it up, give it some love, and assure it wasn`t it`s fault.
    Heh heh, yeah...that`s what prompted me to, uhm...accumulate...cars until I finally came to my senses. That `93 Audi of mine a rescue from Cash for Clunkers (so I had to pay !!$4.5K!! for it as that`s what the Program was offering )...just couldn`t *stand* the idea of a not-even-broken-in car that I loved being deliberately trashed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Plus, some of those surfaces you`ll have to touch...I bet you get vehicles where you wear gloves to keep [stuff] from getting on your hands, rather than the other way around.

Heh heh, yeah...that`s what prompted me to, uhm...accumulate...cars until I finally came to my senses. That `93 Audi of mine a rescue from Cash for Clunkers (so I had to pay !!$4.5K!! for it as that`s what the Program was offering )...just couldn`t *stand* the idea of a not-even-broken-in car that I loved being deliberately trashed.
    Absolutely! I wear nitrile gloves all the time - a coworker of mine developed an allergy to used motor oil, so I`ve pretty much worn them since I started wrenching. But there are definitely cars where I put on a fresh pair because I can`t stand the thought of actual contact with the interior.

I`m a "Make no adjustments" person, so unless I absolutely have to I don`t touch seats/mirrors/steering wheel adjustment, so I wouldn`t necessarily be making contact with stuff. If I remove any interior bits for repairs being made, I always clean everything I touch so there`s no risk of being blamed for how dirty they made it.

What`s your `93? I`m envisioning a V8 Quattro? I rocked a `93 90 quattro for a daily for a long time - possibly the longest car I owned according to a calendar. Great car, never let me down. Heck, even when I ran it out of gas it still chitty-chitty-bang-banged it way to the closest gas station...

Post Thanks / Like

Final confession: I make too many posts regarding the fact that I: A- Wrench on cars, and B- Prefer to be clean about it.

I realize I do it, and that it doesn`t matter to anyone else; but have a hard time stopping myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I think my car is faster, and runs better when it is absolutely clean inside, out and under the hood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I think my car is faster, and runs better when it is absolutely clean inside, out and under the hood.
    May I add. I think my car is happier when clean inside and out. Weird I know.

Post Thanks / Like

What`s your `93? I`m envisioning a V8 Quattro? I rocked a `93 90 quattro for a daily for a long time - possibly the longest car I owned according to a calendar. Great car, never let me down. Heck, even when I ran it out of gas it still chitty-chitty-bang-banged it way to the closest gas station...
    Yeah, `93 V8 Quattro. Last year of the original 1980s body style, first year of the 4.2L engine (IIRC). Simply *LOVE* it, but parts availability really has the doomsday clock ticking.

The 90Q was another nice model, like the baby brother of my wife`s Ur S4.

Guess I`m used to a service visit = adjusting stuff as the dealership`s Valet has to drive a *LONG* way to/from our place. I`m different about the cleaning issue, if they (Heaven forbid!) do make a mess, they`ve gotta leave it for me to deal with...which, fortunately, hasn`t happened since forever.

And no, IMO you *don`t* make too many posts about being clean about the wrenching! You`re reinforcing that it`s not something unusual (or at least it shouldn`t be). The Techs who work on my stuff wouldn`t dream of messing anything up and I think it`s crazy that some do.
    Likes Oneheadlite, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

-AND-

Quote Originally Posted by Tc99m
    May I add. I think my car is happier when clean inside and out.
    Well, long-term it probably does work out that way if only because spotless engine compartments/undercarriages make it easier to see when some problem is just getting started, and less dirt = less moisture retention/etc. and that = fewer problems.

Had the original owner of my `93 (or rather, her "detailer") not neglected the undercarriage it could`ve saved my thousands and thousands of $ fixing stuff that could`ve easily killed people (e.g., rusted-through fuel and brake lines among countless other issues).

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes buy the slice and bake cookies with zero intention of ever baking one !
    Thanks trashmanssd thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes buy the slice and bake cookies with zero intention of ever baking one !
    haha I still buy the cookie dough squares and eat them unbaked

Brandt K.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, really?!? You guys....

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information