Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Confessions Thread

I usually don`t use 2 buckets to wash a car.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I usually don`t use 2 buckets to wash a car.

I switched to a one bucket method with 6 micro mitts and a few wash wedges on my car and I think its much faster and I feel better about potential marring by using a completely different mitt on every section

Brandt K.
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    I switched to a one bucket method with 6 micro mitts and a few wash wedges on my car and I think its much faster and I feel better about potential marring by using a completely different mitt on every section
    Lately I have been doing ONR/ rinseless washes with the Big Red Sponge and dedicated wash mitt for under panels
    Only one bucket too. I will usually spray the wheels down though with the hose and do an initial rinse off if the car is really dirty or just pre-soak the areas with ONR.
    I can usually wash, dry and wax (OPT spray wax) my car in like 20-30 min.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    Lately I have been doing ONR/ rinseless washes with the Big Red Sponge and dedicated wash mitt for under panels
    Only one bucket too. I will usually spray the wheels down though with the hose and do an initial rinse off if the car is really dirty or just pre-soak the areas with ONR.
    I can usually wash, dry and wax (OPT spray wax) my car in like 20-30 min.
    oh man I haven`t used ONR since Wolfgang UBER came out.. and now N914 has taken all of WG Uber`s glory it seems. N914 is just really really good IMO and I`ve probably given more than half of my gallon away. I just can`t bring myself to RW my SRT anymore unless its just barely dusty but then I will still hose it off first.

Brandt K.
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You gentlemen are late to the one bucket party! If you use a quality soap and a grit guard, no reason to mess with that. I`m going on YEARS in between polishing cars with this technique, and TBH. I believe most of my micromarring is not from single bucket washes but from QD`ing after driving and/or rain. Even for trashed vehicles, I go one bucket, I just blast all the dirt off with a pressure washer. The wash is really for the road film.
    Likes RaydiantDetail, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    You gentlemen are late to the one bucket party! If you use a quality soap and a grit guard, no reason to mess with that. I`m going on YEARS in between polishing cars with this technique, and TBH. I believe most of my micromarring is not from single bucket washes but from QD`ing after driving and/or rain. Even for trashed vehicles, I go one bucket, I just blast all the dirt off with a pressure washer. The wash is really for the road film.
    I`ve been doing one bucket most of the year on my car but it generally just needs a high pressure rinse to clean off as I don`t drive it in the rain or bad weather.

I don`t even use a grit guard in that one bucket I just use a lot of micro mitts, etc and once I use them once I put the used mitt in an empty bucket and pull out a fresh one. I also think most of my micromarring comes from QDing etc...but the scratches come from the neighborhood cat and inconsiderate people who touch your car at car shows.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Whew...quite a relief! I thought I was gonna be banned for typing that.

Thanks Dan thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I never get asked to the parties
    Lol but I have not noticed any marring with the tech I am using right now and yup definitley use the grit guard. I am sure rinsing off the car prior and doing a presoak on the panel helps.

Brandt - I have some n914 sitting on my shelf waiting to be used! I am just waiting to finish my ONR which should be soon and will probably make the switch over since n914 gets nothing but rave reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I still use multiple buckets, even though there`s seldom any dirt in the Rinse ones.

Gotta say that I don`t get the "my micromarring comes from..." comments; why do something if you know it mars the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Eh, I still use multiple buckets, even though there`s seldom any dirt in the Rinse ones.

Gotta say that I don`t get the "my micromarring comes from..." comments; why do something if you know it mars the paint?
    I`ve relaxed a bit from my days of perfect paint. I rather have a clean looking vehicle that looks glossy than a dull vehicle with perfect paint underneath. I don`t have the time to wash every few days, but I do have time to do a QD or Waterless wash here and there. In the bigger picture, these cars don`t matter. I`ll get bored of them and trade them in and the dealer will ask me how I kept them so awesome looking, even with the micromarring. The only car I really do try to avoid marring at all if the Corvette as I had planned on keeping that forever, but that might not be so.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- OK, as long as you`re happy

I hear you on not knocking yourself out for the vehicles that aren`t keepers, I`m just at the point where we don`t plan to replace *any* of ours, ever, so I gotta think very long-term. Can`t polish the `93 Audi any more either

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- OK, as long as you`re happy

I hear you on not knocking yourself out for the vehicles that aren`t keepers, I`m just at the point where we don`t plan to replace *any* of ours, ever, so I gotta think very long-term. Can`t polish the `93 Audi any more either
    Trust me, whenever I buy I car, I plan to keep it forever. My track record doesn`t agree, I`ve had 40 something cars in the last 20 or so years. When I keep something longer than 3 years, friends start asking questions...lol I`ve just come to accept the fact, and it does make me enjoy the cars a bit more when I don`t treat them like a museum piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Yeah, nobody`d *believe* how many I`ve gone through But we somehow settled on the exact ones we currently have, and with those being still three too many there`s just no point in our even thinking about anything else. Kinda funny actually..even given unlimited resources we`d still want exactly what we have now, even though most would say they`re nothing special.

Good point about enjoying them a bit more when you`re reasonable about this stuff; the cars I enjoyed the most were FAR from Autopian, just drove the wheels off `em. And even now, for all my seemingly extreme-Autopian views, there`s no way to keep the dog-haulers perfect and with Accumulatorette transporting kids/infirm elderly folks year-round, well... her A8 can`t be either. When somebody with real mobility issues needs to grab a handful of paint to keep from falling it`s sure OK by me, and we don`t want anybody`s childhood memories being all about how they treated her car (the kids-in-law *do* try, but when they`re raised by parents who just don`t care about such stuff..things happen).

Post Thanks / Like

Can`t polish the `93 Audi any more either
    Yeah...i think the Corvette has seen its last buffing pad as well...D300 last year, M101 this year...the etched water spots from those fabulous Zaino years are about as good as they`re gonna get short of respray.

Actually kinda nice to know I can`t do anything major to it anymore; one less to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, seems that the cars I drove the hardest and took the least care of are my favorites. How`s that for a confession and somewhat of a self revelation!

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information