Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Occupations

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Occupations

Spent the first 25 years of my so-called adult life in Technology...support, software development, hardware. Remember when the Internet was first starting to get popular w/ text-based apps like Gopher, Lynx, Pine & Elm and finally the first graphical web browser, Mosaic; 1mb of RAM back then was $50.

Legal Publishing conglomerate I worked for (West/Thomson/Reuters) decided in 2010 that the work done at our Cleveland satellite office was better done in India so they shut us down in late 2010, didn`t really feel like going back to corporate America and it`s cubicles, TPS reports and what not. Too early to retire, started looking for something I wanted to do instead of something I hadda do so I weaseled my way into a swimming pool service and repair company in 2012, after doing nothing for about 2 years (good severance package).

Technology to swimming pools??? We had a little, basic in-ground pool built at home in 1998 and I always found the mechanics and water chemistry interesting (rarely actually go IN the pool anymore) so I kept bothering swimming pool companies in the area until one of them finally hired me as a Pool Tech in late summer 2012. Spent 3 glorious months riding around in a van, sunglasses, shorts, flip-flops cleaning high-end residential and commercial pools...it was wonderful! Also got to be a Certified Red Cross Lifeguard for a few months one winter at an indoor facility we staff; quite interesting. Plus side of a mostly seasonal business is sometimes you can grab a month or two off in the winter if business needs allow.

Then they apparently actually read my resume, pulled me into the office where I`m now stuck doing Technology, running the Warehouse & Purchasing, only occasionally running into things with a tow motor. Plus side is a heated warehouse in winter and a fleet of Ford Rangers and Work Vans (2008 thru 2016) upon which to practice the detailing arts with no worry about really gooning anything up.

Obviously Swimming Pool $$ < Technology $$ but I`m a lot happier doing this than that cubicle nonsense and the internal household BudgetPlan Theory pretty much got everything in place and growing before I left corporate America (small, house w/ no mortgage, Retirement accounts proceeding nicely, good, reasonable healthcare at Pool Company).

Never gonna be rich or even moderately wealthy but I can live with that. :
    Likes nickclark08, glfnaz, Tc99m, JSFM35X liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
    Wow - why didn`t I notice this thread before?
    I`m a doc - Family Medicine, with a sub-specialty in Sports Medicine. Jack of all medical trades, master of none, haha.
    If I could make the same living detailing, I would, in a heartbeat!

Current:

2015 Lamborghini Huracán
    2016 BMW X6M
    2014 BMW M235i
    2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster
    They clearly pay family doctors/sports med docs more in CA than in the US! Good for you.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    I miss my toys being sealed in blisters. Got any GI Joe blisters laying around so I can seal them back up.

Do you sell any of those anti-theft clamshells that needs a utility knife to open? If so, I may have cursed at you/your company many times.
    Yes sir!
    All the stuff you need to take out to the garage and slice open while breaking a few fingernails, that`s me. We are a thermoformer.
    Dislikes LEDetailng disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
    I wish I could, honestly - in reality, though, it`s really tough to make a diagnosis without examining a joint. If I had to say, I`d be a little concerned about your ACL - that often accounts for a "sagging" feeling when your knee is relaxed and extended?
    Sorry I couldn`t be of more help!
    Thanks!

As a side note, I fell 15 or 20 years ago and stretched (forget the level of tear it was) the acl and mcl. After the doc aspirated my knee I did 2 treatments of prolotherapy and was back doing mma after that!

Might have been more temporary then I was hoping for But it feels fine until I drive for a couple hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Yes sir!
    All the stuff you need to take out to the garage and slice open while breaking a few fingernails, that`s me. We are a thermoformer.
    Sorry, I accidentally hit the dislike instead of the like. I cannot "un" dislike
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accountant/Fin Analyst here for a manufacturing company. Love what I do for a career.
    Jeff @ Pure Brilliance Detailing
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR - Super White II

Post Thanks / Like

When I win lotto or strike it rich some how that I cant figure out right now, I am coming down to be some free labor and learn.

My Dream- I want so badly to buy a Porsche 928 S4 in any condition, fix body, pullout the motor and drop a modern LS3 or Coyote engine in it, with a modern tranny and kick butt suspension wheels tires and exhaust. Hook up everything modern electronics so it all works, paint it pearl white with a black leather interior and just drive the wheels off of it.

Not interested in winning shows, just smiles (mine)

Quote Originally Posted by sjb89 View Post
    I own and operate an Auto Restoration shop called Precision Auto Restorations in Havertown, Pa. I specialize in paint, body work AND DETAILING. I have been doing this for 37 years. I have built many show winners and daily drivers.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    ...My Dream- I want so badly to buy a Porsche 928 S4 in any condition, fix body, pullout the motor and .... Hook up everything modern electronics so it all works, paint it pearl white with a black leather interior and just drive the wheels off of it.
    You have much stick-time/ownership experience with those? I only ask because I had a serious 928 habit for a looong time, had four (or was it five...) of `em before I gave it up (steering wheel too far away, couldn`t get the pedals modded right for heel & toe, couldn`t fit with a helmet on, maintenance nightmares even during warranty, etc. etc.) Heh heh...those lottery winnings better be awfully substantial

Seeing one *still* gets me going...it`s one of those habits that never really dies.

Post Thanks / Like

Retired substance abuse/addictions therapist.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly NO, was my dream car growing up. My best friends father had a black on black w/ and Automatic. Loved the car looks wise, never slipped behind the wheel. I would not want a stock one, or even a restored one. I love the lines of the body and want to create the rest to fit my need for speed, handling and acceleration. Body by Porsche, everything else by Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    You have much stick-time/ownership experience with those? I only ask because I had a serious 928 habit for a looong time, had four (or was it five...) of `em before I gave it up (steering wheel too far away, couldn`t get the pedals modded right for heel & toe, couldn`t fit with a helmet on, maintenance nightmares even during warranty, etc. etc.) Heh heh...those lottery winnings better be awfully substantial

Seeing one *still* gets me going...it`s one of those habits that never really dies.

Post Thanks / Like

JSFM35X- Heh heh, I can`t resist saying "watch what you wish for" Yeah...the look absolutely *WORKS* for me too, and I simply loved the interiors (from the op-art fabrics to the later leathers), but even my stock ones were just such heartbreakers though...

Even Accumulatorette loved my Horizon Blue GTS, and she seldom cared for my Porsches.

Post Thanks / Like

Currently work as a Electronic Tech at a railroad.

2 years high school votec Electronics
    4 Year Electrical apprentice at the closed Phila Naval Shipyard
    5 Year apprentice IBEW Inside Wireman (commercial/industrial electrician basically)

Got married finishing up the IBEW, wife wanted to stay home with my newborn son so needed steady job and went to RR in 99 as an electrician /signal dept.
    Went to a subsidiary in 2007 as a Bridge Electrician.
    This agency owns 4 and i actually got to go a top all of them.
    Didn`t care for bridge so left in 2010 back to RR as a tech.

If anyone is interested in specifics PM me. Rather not post here.
    Also very computer savy and knowledgeable with OBD2.

I enjoy moderating a scantool OBD2 forum .
    I own all Fords and can get into most systems to date.
    GM depends on year.

Sorry for the long post.

Post Thanks / Like

ShawnF350- How did you get into the OBD2 stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

Occupations

Was a Cnc machinist but due to my bad back had to quit but now sell Verizon through AWireless retail store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, I just bought a scantool and found out how much stuff i could access with the right software. I posted a lot of questions and offered to scan anyone`s car with an engine light at work.
    I`m pretty good at finding problems but with these cars today and all the sensors and other electrical things it`s hard to do anything without one.

I have access to online service manuals which also helps greatly.
    I really enjoy the challenge.
    I also own two obd2 simulators which allows me to stop going out to my car everytime I helped someone through software steps on the forum.

For Ford which is all i own, there`s software that can access pretty much anything.
    Any obd2 car can be scanned for engine/emissions but when there`s something out there to access enhanced systems its a life saver. You can check misfire counts before you get an engine light. Mode $06 is a very useful part of obd2 as well.
    I saved quite a bit over the past few years on repairs.

If anyone has more interest, read this.....
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

Its very informative.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information