Re: Occupations

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I`m a serial under achiever
    and over waxer !
    Likes Stokdgs, Ronkh liked this post

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Retired Military (74-94), Part time Detailer from the early 70`s and Full Time selling and making industrial paints for bridges and ships. Working on my beach bum attire.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

yep, another over waxer.
    Likes Stokdgs, Ronkh, Old Pirate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Manager at Global Transport network operations center for one of the biggest telecom providers in the US. SONET/SDH, OTN, DWDM, EOS.
    Been working midnight shift since 1994.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heavy Diesel Mechanic for the 2nd largest LTL company in the US. Not my dream job but it pays the bills.

Planning on finally starting college again next semester, even if it`s only one course. Now, what do I want to be when I grow up?
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I`m a serial under achiever
    Somebodies got to do it.

---

I`m a retired e-commerce tycoon who runs the best detailing company in Sarasota as a public service.

Also, I`m an aspiring options trader who is learning the hard way.
    >>>> Follow PROTEKT on Facebook
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@Protekt View Post
    Somebodies got to do it.

---

I`m a retired e-commerce tycoon who runs the best detailing company in Sarasota as a public service.

Also, I`m an aspiring options trader who is learning the hard way.
    I`ll be beaching it on Siesta in a month! Can`t wait since its in the negatives with wind chill
    Likes Troy@Protekt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Engineer
    until 5 yrs ago private sector, president of a consulting firm
    sold my shares to retire
    then an offer I could not refuse (or so my wife told me )
    now the engineering manager for a gov LE bureau (only until vested in the pension system)
    ////AMG

Post Thanks / Like

Graphic designer by trade, getting paid for my experience as a Creative Director at a 15-person marketing & communications agency that works mostly in the industrial and manufacturing industries.
    Purple Towel Detailing
    FB + IG: @purpletoweldetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    I`m too lazy to look at the moment, but I don`t recall seeing any threads about what all us "non-pro" detailers do for a living. I`ll start.

My 9-5 is a service tech with Frontier Communications. We are a Telco and I deal with anything involving POTS lines, DSL, T1`s, etc.....
    I work with rare books and manuscripts at a university library; sort of a combination of curator and librarian.

But my dad worked for Verizon (Bell of PA) his entire career, so I grew up hearing POTS, DSL, "Crossbar" and other phone company acronyms. I remember going into the "C.O.s" as a kid when they still had those menchanical stepper switches, and they had a distinct sound, especially the bigger offices with entire rooms of those things. Like thousands of pistols being cocked or something, continuously and all all at the same time. He would also "start the Diesels," which were huge backup generators in the basements of these offices, I guess to back up the 48 volts or whatever it was for the phone service. Then there were tons of racks of these batteries. To me as a kid they seemed like 36" tall and about 12" around, and clear, so you could see the liquid inside.

Post Thanks / Like

I work for a mid sized holding company as a Systems Administrator. Looks like there is quite a few people with tech jobs in here, and I have to say it doesn`t surprise me one bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how I missed this the first time around...

I am a Civil Engineer (Geotechnical) for the offshore Oil/Gas/Wind energy industry.

Current gig is as the geotechnical laboratory/project manager for a Geochemical/Environmental/Geotechnical sample aquisition and analysis firm.

I get to go offshore, and still spend a bunch of time with my family. I love my job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Concourswanna b View Post
    I work with rare books and manuscripts at a university library; sort of a combination of curator and librarian.

But my dad worked for Verizon (Bell of PA) his entire career, so I grew up hearing POTS, DSL, "Crossbar" and other phone company acronyms. I remember going into the "C.O.s" as a kid when they still had those menchanical stepper switches, and they had a distinct sound, especially the bigger offices with entire rooms of those things. Like thousands of pistols being cocked or something, continuously and all all at the same time. He would also "start the Diesels," which were huge backup generators in the basements of these offices, I guess to back up the 48 volts or whatever it was for the phone service. Then there were tons of racks of these batteries. To me as a kid they seemed like 36" tall and about 12" around, and clear, so you could see the liquid inside.

I also worked for Bell of Pa, which became Bell Atlantic and then Verizon. 34 yrs. Yep I remember working with the SXS,5XB,DMS switches, then moved to Centrex then moved on to T-CXR, to Sonet then became a fiber optic coord and before I retired(downsized) I was on the road as an ISO coord checking out the Special Services Ctrs.

Good times at a good company back then(Bell of Pa), I am sure your Dad felt the same!!!!
    Thanks
    Bill G

1972 Buick GS Stage 1
    1 of 728 made
    1 of 1 SCO color combo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grisby View Post
    I also worked for Bell of Pa, which became Bell Atlantic and then Verizon. 34 yrs. Yep I remember working with the SXS,5XB,DMS switches, then moved to Centrex then moved on to T-CXR, to Sonet then became a fiber optic coord and before I retired(downsized) I was on the road as an ISO coord checking out the Special Services Ctrs.

Good times at a good company back then(Bell of Pa), I am sure your Dad felt the same!!!!
    Yep, good times during that era at Bell. My dad did have something to do Special Services as well I think, around West Chester, King of Prusssia, and the offices everybody wanted, down in southern Chester county. I remember hearing all of those names and acronyms you mentioned, and "5-ESS" was another big one I heard a lot as a kid. He was also on "tearouts" for a time, and it was crazy to hear about all of these tons and tons of high-grade cadmium-plated bolts and stuff being thrown away every day.
    Those offices were really quiet after those stepper switches were torn out.
    One thing I remember that wasn`t all that fun was "on-call". The phone would ring at 2AM and youd` hear "****! State Police circuit in Fort Washington", then he would have to call folks for hours in the middle of the night to fix it.
    Overall though, it was a great company at that time.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I remember that wasn`t all that fun was "on-call". The phone would ring at 2AM and youd` hear "****! State Police circuit in Fort Washington", then he would have to call folks for hours in the middle of the night to fix it.
    Overall though, it was a great company at that time.

Yep, I hated having the "duty" or on call(depending what part of the state you`re from)the State Police ckts and the FAA drove us crazy in the wee hours of the morning. I was in Harrisburg and did work the eastern(Phila area for a while)and KofP for a short time and the pay was good, very good!! Yep, I forgot about the "tearouts" when we had to update a C.O. --- a lot of stuff thrown out, or sold to some of the small independent companies around at that time.

If you Dad is still around give him a Hi from a Bell guy in Hrbg
    Thanks
    Bill G

1972 Buick GS Stage 1
    1 of 728 made
    1 of 1 SCO color combo

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information