Page 214 of 216 FirstFirst ... 114164200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216 LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 3239
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

Oh God, I couldn’t imagine your power being out for a week during winter temps. The power here tends to go out in the spring and summer but never for terribly long unless of course we’re talking due to a hurricane.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Liz@Autopia View Post
    I always loved the looks I used to get with a 90 lb lab/rhodesian ridgeback mix in the passenger seat of the Miata.
    Similar situation here. I frequently have to pick up our 160lb Great Dane at "doggie day care" and put her in my GTI. I`ve even had employees ask me where my car was when they only saw my humble hatchback sitting right in front of the door. If there are other owners there at the same time, everyone stops and watches until we leave. Of course around here everyone thinks you need a F250 long bed, crew cab truck or a Suburban to carry your one small child and a Chihuahua so a Great Dane in a VW hatchback is an impossible feat...
    Likes Liz@Autopia, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So....who wants to detail this one?

Random thoughts thread-fb_img_1547144711620.jpg

(Disclaimer: Found on Facebook, probably photoshop, but a cool picture any way. )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Similar situation here. I frequently have to pick up our 160lb Great Dane at "doggie day care" and put her in my GTI. I`ve even had employees ask me where my car was when they only saw my humble hatchback sitting right in front of the door. If there are other owners there at the same time, everyone stops and watches until we leave. Of course around here everyone thinks you need a F250 long bed, crew cab truck or a Suburban to carry your one small child and a Chihuahua so a Great Dane in a VW hatchback is an impossible feat...
    The lab/ridgeback mix was pretty tall so he was used to being one of the bigger regulars at the dog park until one day when someone brought an 8 month old Great Dane puppy that was already bigger than him. He was theoretically 7 when we got him and we had him for 6 years before he passed away, so he was a pretty mellow older guy at that point and wasn`t quite sure what to make of that giant ball of puppy energy. I can`t imagine trying to get that one in a hatchback.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Oh God, I couldn’t imagine your power being out for a week during winter temps..
    Eh, we figure people got by for a long time before whole-house electricity and central heating. But yeah...seeing your breath in the house...it lasted about 10 days right on either side of Christmas that year. IF there were medical conditions requiring AC to consider, well that`d be different...but we do OK with the 19th century lifestyle.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost all of my food minus sandwiches requires electricity to prepare. Every hurricane season I worry about what else I’m going to eat if the power goes out for an extended time. I did have a bunch of food spoil one year.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- I do have to say that our dogs definitely prefer riding in the Tahoe (one rear seat removed, no third row, all set up for them back there). When we had the minivan and wagons they`d make their preference known, ambling over to the SUV as if to say "aw, let`s take this one instead". The Yukon XL came in handy when traveling with them, but yeah..usually bigger than we needed, and the Blazer was a bit tight, but the older Tahoe is just right.

Liz@Autopia- That ~13 years sounds like a pretty good run for a dog that size (not that we ever get long enough). Sounds like he acted more Ridgeback than Retriever, being so mellow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Liz@Autopia- That ~13 years sounds like a pretty good run for a dog that size (not that we ever get long enough). Sounds like he acted more Ridgeback than Retriever, being so mellow.
    Sam was a sweet mutt for sure. He definitely was all lab when he got near the water though. We`re not really sure what his life was like before he came to us but I think we made the last half of it alright.

Random thoughts thread-fb_img_1547149442296.jpg

After the heartbreak you always swear you won`t do it again but life is too short not to have a dog in it for too long, so about a year ago we brought home Bruce.

Random thoughts thread-fb_img_1534468711583-2-.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Old Pirate, Ronkh, Stokdgs, Oneheadlite, SWETM and 1 others liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1- Ah, I gather your power goes out frequently?

Ours is seldom out more than 12-18 hours and that only happens a few times/year now. It used to be out more frequently and for a lot longer (over a week one winter).
    It seems to go out more frequently lately, mostly just on our cul-de-sac due to lotsa high winds and trees everywhere. Not all the time but 5-6 times a year is enough that the cost of generator makes sense to me to avoid inconvenience.

I`m kinda spoiled I guess, and no electricity really gets on my nerves. We agreed/signed contract on November 1st and today was first avaliable install date so these guys are booked out 8-10 weeks in advance. We`ve probably got 12-16 houses down at our end of street, about 8 have had these units installed over the past 5 years.

We live in a pretty small house and when they came with proposal they said 13kw would be good; I responded with "What`s the next size up just to be sure" so we`re going with 16kw. You know, in case I wanna run central AC, pool pump, dishwasher, microwave, washer and dryer while baking cookies in the oven when the power goes out.

They called last week to schedule install; 4hrs later storm rolls thru and power goes out for a while. This is my life...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like what can happen in FL during hurricane season
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Liz@Autopia View Post
    The lab/ridgeback mix was pretty tall so he was used to being one of the bigger regulars at the dog park until one day when someone brought an 8 month old Great Dane puppy that was already bigger than him. He was theoretically 7 when we got him and we had him for 6 years before he passed away, so he was a pretty mellow older guy at that point and wasn`t quite sure what to make of that giant ball of puppy energy. I can`t imagine trying to get that one in a hatchback.
    When we brought our girl home at 11 weeks, she was already 40+ pounds and the size of a full grown cocker spaniel but taller. By 1 year she hit 100 pounds and over 40 inches tall...at the shoulders...and was still growing! We used to take her to the dog park, but between owners not dealing with agression issues and the problems of other dogs not knowing what to make of a 100lb puppy, we stopped going. This led to the doggie day care where the dogs are all carefully screened before being accepted and plenty of supervsion, not to mention she has fun two days a week while we`re at work/school.

Getting her into the GTI isn`t too bad. I used to lay down the rear seat and put her in through the rear hatch, but I`d have to pick up her hind end to get her in. Not fun at 160lbs. Now I simply let her climb onto the back seat where she sits like a person on the seat and rests her head on my shoulder, or lays down across the ENTIRE back seat.

Desertnate- I do have to say that our dogs definitely prefer riding in the Tahoe (one rear seat removed, no third row, all set up for them back there). When we had the minivan and wagons they`d make their preference known, ambling over to the SUV as if to say "aw, let`s take this one instead". The Yukon XL came in handy when traveling with them, but yeah..usually bigger than we needed, and the Blazer was a bit tight, but the older Tahoe is just right.

There is no way we`d take more than one Dane in my car, or even our girl on a long trip, but for short trips it works just fine. I just find it humorous when people around here think they need the largest vehicle on the market to haul the smallest pets and a single small child. Our Dane does like our Highlander much better due to the extra room and seems confused when I tell her to get in my car. I`ll get this side glace saying, "are you sure?", followed by a non chalant stroll over to the back door of my car.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Liz@autopia and Desertnate- I always enjoy posts about dogs, and seeing them here at Autopia puts to rest the notion that you can`t keep a dog-hauler nice.

We`ve never been completely dog-less, though we are still between cats (never realized how much work one cat could be until we didn`t have one).

Wonder if anybody else has trained their dog(s) to differentiate between vehicles..."Crown Vic" vs. "vehicle" (i.e., the Tahoe) makes sense to ours.

BudgetPlan1- Your elect. issues sound like how ours was for a long time, though we`d often be out for several days or more. Not so bad recently. When we looked into a backup generator it got crazy-expensive right away (Oh the joys of this house; watch what you wish for) so we said "never mind"...
    Likes Liz@Autopia, Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if anybody else has trained their dog(s) to differentiate between vehicles..."Crown Vic" vs. "vehicle" (i.e., the Tahoe) makes sense to ours.
    I think our dog knows based on who she`s with and their behavior. When it`s my wife, she heads for the big vehicle. When she`s with me, she heads for the small one when we are leaving home. When I pick her up, she`s sometimes confused as to where to go because she`s looking for my wife`s car (the person who picks her up 90% of the time). However, once I start walking towards my car she quickly figures it out and tucks right in next to me where she belongs. Occasionally I`ll have to say something to catch her attention, but I can`t remember the last time I had to guide her by her leash. She`s not the smartest animal, but she watches behaviors closely and follows our lead.
    Likes Liz@Autopia liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Sometimes they`re smarter than we give `em credit for
    Likes Liz@Autopia liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Liz@Autopia, Nizmo, SWETM liked this post

Page 214 of 216 FirstFirst ... 114164200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216 LastLast

Thread Information