Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

Though I can knee-jerk cynical about most supposedly inspirational one-liners, I do like various aphorisms from [certain people].

That "don`t stop when your tired.." though...well, if you don`t curtail certain activities when fatigued you`ll be done all right..permanently. Context matters

Desertnate- Now you`ve gone and piqued my curiosity! Wonder which TR quote...maybe "Black care seldom sits behind a rider who is fast enough"? I always liked that one, but then I`m not clinically depressed so I guess it`s easy for me to talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    So very true! Never been a fan of the one-liners overall, though I do really like one attributed to Teddy Roosevelt.

Instead I prefer to go this route: https://despair.com/

With my favorite being this one: https://despair.com/collections/post...ducts/mistakes
    On my toolbox at work:

Worth: Just because you`re necessary, doesn`t mean you`re important.

(From my days at the dealership; much less true at an Indy)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Though I can knee-jerk cynical about most supposedly inspirational one-liners, I do like various aphorisms from [certain people].

That "don`t stop when your tired.." though...well, if you don`t curtail certain activities when fatigued you`ll be done all right..permanently. Context matters

Desertnate- Now you`ve gone and piqued my curiosity! Wonder which TR quote...maybe "Black care seldom sits behind a rider who is fast enough"? I always liked that one, but then I`m not clinically depressed so I guess it`s easy for me to talk.
    Actually my favorite TR quote is not cynical at all. "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in that grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat"
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Actually my favorite TR quote is not cynical at all. "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in that grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat"
    Loved that Teddy Roosevelt quote, DesertNate, thanks for posting it !

Work ------No one who doesn`t try to move forward whatever is being moved, will ever become stronger ...

Dan F
    Likes ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you grew up in the 50’s 60’s, 70’s or 80’s

https://youtu.be/yHmBIVZRGlE
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, Ronkh, trashmanssd liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, trashmanssd thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Ah, OK...yeah that`s another good one.

I miss that old thread started by (the now MIA) TOGWT, even though his worldview and mine were pretty far apart...I sometimes felt like my posts to that one were almost counterpoints to some of his

Post Thanks / Like

GearHead_1- Heh heh, yeah....

But OTOH, I`m genuinely lucky, like VERY lucky, that I survived my younger years, starting back around kindergarten. One of my very earliest memories is almost suffering an accident that would`ve undoubtedly been fatal. I got injured but good many times and still have some distinquishing scars from the `60s (somehow avoided any broken bones though). "Live to tell!" and it`s all cool, and I do despise the whole "life in a protective bubble" approach to childhood, but still....

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda serious for a moment- you guys with loud exhausts have no compunctions about disturbing your neighbors? Not just waking people up (who might not be able to fall back asleep), but I have neighbors with *serious* health issues and those folks simply don`t need any disturbances during the time they have left.
    Do I want to wake the neighbors, nah. I have a couple neighbors who are just snobby who like to complain about every little thing. The one guy that complains that my exhaust/turbo is too loud has a Harley and likes to randomly start it up in the garage, far louder then my Kraut-mobile. The neighbor across the street has a Cuda and the Harley guy (who lives beside him) complains about it as well. Other neighbors grandson has a lifted Chevy 2500 with an exhaust and everybody is all over him about it. Nobody around my neighborhood has anything else to do besides complain. Doesn`t help I`m the youngest guy on the street.

Truth be told the old firehouse siren (think 1940`s air-raid type) that goes off for every emergency is more annoying than anything. I understand in the old days before scanners you needed it to get everybody to the firehouse. But, nowadays I don`t think it`s needed.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post

Truth be told the old firehouse siren (think 1940`s air-raid type) that goes off for every emergency is more annoying than anything. I understand in the old days before scanners you needed it to get everybody to the firehouse. But, nowadays I don`t think it`s needed.
    The siren is also meant to warn other drivers there are hose guys flying around......... On way to station or fire.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Nizmo, Stokdgs, GearHead_1 liked this post
    Thanks Nizmo, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Yeah, we`ve had Chronic Complainers for neighbors before, big incentive to get the kind of property we have now. All-in-all hearing loud exhausts is better than dealing with that so I probably oughta count my blessings.

That lifted 2500 might give a physics lesson some day

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Yeah, we`ve had Chronic Complainers for neighbors before, big incentive to get the kind of property we have now. All-in-all hearing loud exhausts is better than dealing with that so I probably oughta count my blessings.
    Living in the country in this county is totally out of the question; main reason is no cable, which means no high speed internet. Only DSL is available and it`s capped to 25 gigs a month, I used almost 100 last month. Sounds really stupid, I know. County over has cable out in the country, but the property tax rate is nearly double! I make decent money, but I like more bang for my buck. Not to mention the convenience is nice; there`s a Sheetz and McDonald`s less than 5 minutes from the house. The owners want to sell me this place, so we`ll see come springtime. I really want to build me a double car pole barn out back...
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Living in the country in this county is totally out of the question; main reason is no cable, which means no high speed internet. Only DSL is available and it`s capped to 25 gigs a month, I used almost 100 last month. Sounds really stupid, I know. County over has cable out in the country, but the property tax rate is nearly double! I make decent money, but I like more bang for my buck. Not to mention the convenience is nice; there`s a Sheetz and McDonald`s less than 5 minutes from the house. The owners want to sell me this place, so we`ll see come springtime. I really want to build me a double car pole barn out back...
    I see some ad on TV for Hughes Net, a satellite provider that claims they can get you Internet, have you thought about them ?
    Hopefully some day there may be real fiber out there and your worries about bandwidth will be so over..

When I think of all the huge Fiber pipes I provided thousands of AirTouch Cellular and (later) Verizon employees, I wish I could even have a tiny bit of it where I live today..

Good luck, Nizmo !
    Dan F
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I see some ad on TV for Hughes Net, a satellite provider that claims they can get you Internet, have you thought about them ?
    Hopefully some day there may be real fiber out there and your worries about bandwidth will be so over..

When I think of all the huge Fiber pipes I provided thousands of AirTouch Cellular and (later) Verizon employees, I wish I could even have a tiny bit of it where I live today..

Good luck, Nizmo !
    Dan F
    Hughes is NO fly by night co. It`s was started by Howard Hughes. It`s probably one of th elargest, if not largest in world.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Good on you for considering all that stuff. Heh heh, we didn`t consider all that we should have when we got this place by a long shot.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Went to Walyworld today. Haven`t been in there in a while and now they offer handheld scanners for your basket.

I got to chatting with a manager, as I opted for no scanner and accidentally went to the (scanner people only) checkout line and managed to scan my stuff there with the scanner on that station and pay for it.

So I was completed with my transaction and bagging up my stuff when she came to customer service me and proceed to make me feel like a Wal-Mart noob.

I noted how that must be quite the large capital investment and asked her how many scanners they have lost.

She said their largest complaint was the long likes. To which I replied, that would not even make my top 5.

She then left.
    Fun times.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Page 156 of 216 FirstFirst ... 56106142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170206 ... LastLast

Thread Information