Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

Migue, if they replace the coil with a new aluminum unit it will work with new 410A. Then you will only have to replace the condenser and coil. The rest of the airhandler is only a blower motor and heat strips basically. The good thing is the new condenser should be charged with almost all of the freon from the factory and the new 410 os much cheaper. They are basically trying to force everyone to swap to the 410 by making the 22 more expensive.
    Likes Migue liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no doubt the newer units have been using scroll compressors for awhile now( much more efficient) and the SEER rating is up past 14-15 I think..
    The higher the rating, the more efficient, and hopefully if the house is very well insulated in the attic - the entire attic including the garage, you can realize savings AFTER paying the probably $10K + investment..

So, which is more expensive short term and long term...

It would not take a good Tech long to find the leak if he determines by looking at his gauge if the unit is holding pressure or not - it`s hopefully either at the condenser outside connection or the coil in the air handler and not somewhere in the line as it snakes up the side of the house (in the wall) and across the ceiling attic to the handler where ever it is placed..

If you get a new unit someday, they will probably want to move the outside unit somewhere else if it`s noisy or in the way where it sits now, and bring in all new lines to the new air handler, so they absolutely know it is not going to be causing problems for a long time..

My unit was built in 2005 I believe so I have a few years hopefully before it gives up the ghost...
    I already got a quote and it was north of $14k for a brand that when googled, has been nothing but trouble... Nice, AC Guy, nice...
    Lucky for me, it was the Run Capacitor and took about 5 minutes to change out..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Wow �� with that 14k plus you can just do efficient portable units in the House and save the remainder several thousands. That`s ridiculous.

My Guy quoted me between $5,000 and $10,000 depending on how efficient I want the unit to be. He also does a pressure test to check for leaks after installation using smoke or something like that. He`s a good guy, ex engineer, but unfortunately at his age and physical condition he cannot do it all himself and needs to hire a small crew while he overlooks every step.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, people are gouging everyone it seems. I replaced my Mom`s 5 ton and my 2 ton for about a 1/4 of that Dan. It helps to know the guy installing and I helped with the work (on my vacation....totally not planned that way) but then again when he has electrical issues (several times a week) he calls me.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSkip333 View Post
    Man, people are gouging everyone it seems. I replaced my Mom`s 5 ton and my 2 ton for about a 1/4 of that Dan. It helps to know the guy installing and I helped with the work (on my vacation....totally not planned that way) but then again when he has electrical issues (several times a week) he calls me.
    BSkip333 ---
    Yes ! He was intent on trying to get as much money out of me for this and like I said, the unit he was wanting to install - (I had to ask him what brand name he was going to use), is some off the wall unit and it has terrible reliability reviews anywhere you look..

I then told him that he was WAY too high for this little 1,678 sq ft house, and the brand was not a major one ( Trane, Carrier, Bryant, etc..), so could he do something to lower the cost?

He said no, he had to pay for his Overhead, and his crews, etc., and that was the best he could do..

Really??? Would you rather have SOME Cash Flow today or NOT ? I don`t get it.. Maybe it`s the New Math or something???

Kids want all the money but they don`t seem to understand the ways to get it.. It`s all or nothing I guess..

And I would be very glad to help whoever comes out - heck I even put my big ladder in my Master Bedroom Closet for him so he could go up in the attic and look a the A/Handler, ductwork, etc., and not have to go pull that ladder off the top of this van...

That is Great that you worked out that Install for your Mom and now you have a new Client for electrical work!!!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy tells me about going behind people all the time that are told they need a new unit that really only require minor repairs. It`s a shame and the reason people are naturally distrustful of the service industry. Either incompetence or flat out dishonest. I see it daily with the businesses I service time and again. The mechanical techs blame it on an electrical issue, knowing I will come out and verify power. I don`t get it, they have to know they will be returning...so what`s the payoff? Getting away from the real issue for a couple of days at the business`s expense? I usually tell the store managers to tell them if it isn`t an electrical problem, not only will they not pay that service call but they will back charge them for mine. That`s the only way I know to stop it, it`s truly ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Three of the founding fathers of American independence and former U.S. presidents—John Adams (L), Thomas Jefferson (4th L) and James Monroe (not pictured)—died on July 4. Thomas Jefferson and John Adams passed away within hours of each other in 1826.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yup... Obama... First President I have ever seen who is actively campaigning for his parties nominee. Shows the wickedness going on today. It`s bad. We got extremely important things to worry about. The most important.

On the air conditioners.
    Anyone looked into, or considered those newer "Split Units"? They look interesting.
    I could understand, with what they demand for a new central air. Just completely redo everything? Put in better insulation and windows. Then approach with window/portable, or split units in the rooms where they heat up the most. That`s the worst problem...When that insulation heats up. You end up like the one post saying it was (again) 90 degrees at 10pm. Geesh.. I hate it when the insulation heats up and won`t cool off. Biggest thing I cured with a portable in my apartment. Put it in the right room.
    House I have in escrow. Built 8 years ago. Apparently extremely efficient. 856 square feet on main floor. Open stairway going to basement. Electric bill is on average billing at only $116 a month. Electric heat at top of walls. Only one window type air conditioner in wall. No central unit whatsoever. This appears smart?
    I`ll add my portable (one of those with a hose to the window) to this. Am sure it will help with cooling. I thought, in the future... When that wall (window type) goes out. Maybe a split unit?
    That $116 electric bill. There is a second meter on the house just for heat. They bill only 5.7 cents a KWH for the heat. I think it`s great. That`s cheap heat. Still got good rates on everything else at 11 something cents a KWH. Geesh... I remember having a small dumpy trailer here. It had a good wood stove. I went through 1/2 a cord of wood every two weeks. Wood ain`t cheap. Still burnt $900 worth of propane for the winter. That`s ridiculous. Everyone in trailers of all types get hit hard on heating and AC. Why I steered away from any trailer. No matter how good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSkip333 View Post
    My buddy tells me about going behind people all the time that are told they need a new unit that really only require minor repairs. It`s a shame and the reason people are naturally distrustful of the service industry. Either incompetence or flat out dishonest. I see it daily with the businesses I service time and again. The mechanical techs blame it on an electrical issue, knowing I will come out and verify power. I don`t get it, they have to know they will be returning...so what`s the payoff? Getting away from the real issue for a couple of days at the business`s expense? I usually tell the store managers to tell them if it isn`t an electrical problem, not only will they not pay that service call but they will back charge them for mine. That`s the only way I know to stop it, it`s truly ridiculous.
    So the Mechanical Tech`s cant at least look at the power with a calibrated Fluke Meter or something and verify its ok?
    What could possibly be wrong? It`s either on, or off, a circuit breaker tripped, or their equipment has one of many problems...

Your part of the equation is easily the simplest one to trouble shoot compared to what they should be doing.. Geez, no wonder they are acquiring a bad rep...

Out here in the "country" where I live now, I am finding that there is really no "advantage" money-wise, to live out here because all these yay-hoos want to charge much more for the same things than even in the big city I came from...

It is like everyone is really greedy and want to take advantage of you because I don`t have a lot of choices for services like I would in the big city..

Perhaps they don`t care because they expect everyone to have great jobs and therefore are able to pay whatever it takes to fix things, but if you are not in that category, well, good luck...

Thank you, BSkip333 for helping those people that have already been inconvenienced enough by these dummies and trying to stop this just awful way to do business...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Last night at walmart on the clearance aisle

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - I would buy that M205 anytime !!!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Rite of passage.....can`t wait to help my son break in his first fishing pole tonight

www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Wow - I would buy that M205 anytime !!!
    Dan F
    it was about 70% full and CHUNKY

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

new supervisor is ex LEO and high on the micromanagement scale

sad days ahead, sad days ahead indeed

Brandt K.

Page 67 of 216 FirstFirst ... 175354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081117167 ... LastLast

Thread Information