July 1 Is National Drive Your Corvette Day | GM Authority
    Ah man Ron i just washed the Mopar

hope i find a c5 or c6 to play with on the way to work now

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

I picked up my MKZ from the boduy shop again. A painter came to do some repairs and backed into my fender. It ended up with a new fender and touch up to the front facia and the driver`s door. I did call the Sheriff`s office to get a case number.

I specifically told the body shop to not wash (last time they swirled it up some) so looks like they did a rinse and nothing more.

BTW, I have moved from Raleigh, NC to Hillsborough, NC (45 minute drive away).

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or does the info screen in the new Mercedes look like the engineer forgot to design a space for one so they just glued one onto the console? Ugly.

Post Thanks / Like

Tired of this in my House,it was actually 10pm and 90 degrees inside (clock on thermostat is off).

Got my large window unit in the mail, of course UPS busted the living crap out of it, so i had to borrow a truck and drive it back to the store for an exchange and they had one left in stock (PHEW!!!!).

I`ve never installed one of these so it took me all afternoon of OCD analyzing the instructions and every bolt and screw to ensure proper install. Since i have a side sliding window, i went ahead and built a custom frame for extra support and safety (anchored to the actual window frame/studs, that thing is going nowhere!) and mounted that bad boy in it. Tomorrow i`ll draw up some schematics to make a wood window opening on the top and replace the ugly temporary cardboard, then paint everything to match wall color.

I should have painted the frame before installing, but it was exhaustively hot inside my House so i said "screw it i`ll paint it when it`s mounted". I`m testing it now to see if it`ll really cool the majority of the House down and hopefully i won`t have to worry about dropping big $ on a new central system for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new Air Conditioner.
    Looks great..
    Did it get the temp down to 75 already ?
    That is good seeing you had 90 in there earlier..
    Dan F
    Likes Migue liked this post
    Thanks Migue thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Those bigger 220 units will surprise you. There`s one in my grandmothers house next door and on the hottest day of the year so far it kept the house cool. Not like freeze your tail off cool, but comfortable. We have 3 window units (110) in my house, been running all month. To my surprise when I opened my electric bill yesterday it was only $63...
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes Migue, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Congrats on the new Air Conditioner.
    Looks great..
    Did it get the temp down to 75 already ?
    That is good seeing you had 90 in there earlier..
    Dan F
    Thanks Dan! it almost did, but since i didn`t get to start it until late last night which is when the House is the Hottest, it managed to go from 88 to 79 in a timely manner and then i just called it a day. We have a small portable unit in the sleeping bedroom, so we use that one at night and will use the big one during the day .

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Those bigger 220 units will surprise you. There`s one in my grandmothers house next door and on the hottest day of the year so far it kept the house cool. Not like freeze your tail off cool, but comfortable. We have 3 window units (110) in my house, been running all month. To my surprise when I opened my electric bill yesterday it was only $63...
    This one`s a 15 A / 115 V , the biggest of that spec before the plugs get "weird" , which i don`t have in my House , so i went with this one and according to the specs/BTUs it should do the job. I might eventually get a small cheap one and install in my kitchen window, which has double hung/ slide up window and should be a quick install, then have them both running for quicker cool down.

Your electricity is crazy cheap !!! My bill, with only running a portable 10k BTU unit in the bedroom at night, and zero AC during the day, was still right under $100 . Compared to close to $200 or higher from previous summer it`s good, but not as good as i was expecting for having zero central AC .

In the end, i don`t have plans to replace my central unit if the window ones get the job done, even if my bill is around the same every month. If the window units break, they can be fixed quicker where they sit without having to do all kinds of diagnostics and expensive repairs.

Post Thanks / Like

I am officially ghetto, lol
    Needed an extra cord in the garage

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Home depot has an extension cord that has a fused box for 4 plugs. I keep it plugged in my garage and always run my stuff through there. I`ve only tripped it once but besides that it was totally worth it because if there`s an overload ,it`ll just trip the cord`s box rather than my home fuse box.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m soon moving. (more later) I live on the third floor of an apartment building. 900 square feet. No way the window type air conditioner can keep up. First summer. I`d run it constantly. When it hit 110 outside. It would top 90 inside. Didn`t stand a chance. I got a second, portable air conditioner. Not only does everything work well now and keeps it as cool as I want. The electric bill went from $200, to under $100. More (adequate) air conditioning is definitely cheaper.

This, amateur at detailing is buying a house. Should close in three weeks. It has a one car garage that is large. I can finally do detailing on my car without my current hassles. Don`t have to load up the garage with storage either. Have a large basement and a large storage shed outside. Will be nice to wash my car off at home also. No more car wash. Will just need to find a good undercarriage setup for washing off. Hook it up to hot water for the salt. Might be easier to do a little driving through a car wash?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Migue -
    My Central Air Unit broke when we were in the 104-5`s a little while back..

The Condensor unit that sits outside only has 4 parts that can break -
    Run Capacitor, or Contactor
    Compressor
    Exhaust Fan motor..
    The Compressor would be the most expensive thing to replace.. You would need an A/C guy to do this one because they have to discharge the Compressor and then charge the new one with the proper amount of gas to get the cooling temp and pressure set correctly..

The Air Handler Unit is usually inside in a Closet, or up in the attic, usually in the hallway so you will see the air filter screen, and you drop down the screen and the air filter drops out to replace..

The Air Handler just moves the air hot or cold from whichever unit is working..
    So it`s either going to blow something or not blow anything..

Here is a great YouTube video that may help - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xhAxPfxIo

It might just be the Run Capacitor and/or Contactor and if that is the case, these parts are available at those Appliance Parts Stores, etc..

If it`s the Fan Motor that sounds terrible, grinding, etc, when you turn it by hand, that motor can also be purchased at an Appliance Parts store...

The only thing you have to do is remove the existing Fan Blade from the old motor and install it correctly spaced like the original one from the top of the shaft, and it should run great with no noise or vibration...

Usually, the Appliance Parts Store will have a Fan Puller tool right there on their counter to help you get that fan off the old motor and then you mark how many inches exactly it was from the old one and install it at that point on the new motor...
    Dan F
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with it being the compressor or any part that uses the freon is it more than likely uses the old R22 refridgerant. That is being phased out and the freon is much more expensive. It is actually more cost effective to change the condenser and swapping the coil in the air handler that also uses the new, 410A freon. Hopefully you get lucky and it is something simple like the contactor or capacitor.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like Bskip333 states, my unit is old... pushing 20years, way past its life span. I did have a reliable guy come out and try to charge it with old refrigerant....a few hundred dollars later and the system only charged by like one single pound.

Compressor is running weak, plus there is a leak somewhere (most likely up in my attic in one of the coils) . Since it`s a unit with soon to be outdated refrigerant, the thing to do is switch to a new system.

Have to to update sooner or later, so down the line I will update the system but for now I`m gonna go at it with the window unit(s).

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to consider.
    The new air conditioners are much more efficient.
    Old ones?
    Might be worth the money to replace it. Pay back in the electric bill?

Post Thanks / Like

Right! I don`t want to keep putting bandaids on this thing and after paying over $200 just to try to fill it up, yeah don`t want to do that again.

Page 66 of 216 FirstFirst ... 165253545556575859606162636465666768697071727374757677787980116166 ... LastLast

Thread Information