Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

Hopefully they will be in January

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Hopefully they will be in January

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that I was able to fix a transmission issue with my truck with the help of resources on the Internet without spending tons of money at a shop is just flippin awesome
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes Migue, Stokdgs, 4u2nvinmtl, RaysWay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Watching an episode of The Sixties on Netflix about the space program. I dont know how those early astronauts could walk with the size of the stones between their legs. I mean, it boggles my mind what we do now. The thought of what they did with their primitive equipment back then is just staggering
    Likes 512detail, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes 512detail, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

so for this detailing year I decided to run my business as a detail only + maintenance wash business == simply because I`m tired of wasting 2-3 hours cleaning a dirty vehicle for like 50 bucks..its a waste of my time and energy. period

I decided to make the initial detail 150 base and up depending on what all they want

I have actually had really good success this way and added a few more clients (now keep in mind I DO NOT advertise, I run my business by word of mouth or SEO only- that`s how I like it and I can`t even take much more business as it is- im a two days a week detailer)

so this new regular of mine (for a few months now) refers me two clients who called me today....well I guess she forgot to mention that I charge 150 because all she told them was that I wash her car for $40 (which in fact is actually$50 on a biweekly basis- which I still am not really comfortable with because I just hate getting out of my house for anything less than $100 these days- I DONT need this money, I take jobs to save and buy new things and accumulate more tools for this hobby of mine

So these two people threw a mini you know what fit on the phone when I advised them of my base price and how I run my business. One of them went even as far as to accuse me of price gouging! lol

I told them you get what you pay for and honestly I still think my prices are a steal compared to what type of damage you can get inflicted on your vehicle by some other places. I told her this is not for everyone and advised her to check out my recent work and make whatever decision she feels is best for her.

Now I`ll have to admit I am a little frustrated with that client of mine who gave these two people the wrong impression.

O well. I told her its basically take it or leave it. Those are my prices and these are my openings coming up in the future..guess we`ll see how that goes

Did I handle that situation correctly ? What do you guys think

Brandt K.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t have done anything differently
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    Did I handle that situation correctly ? What do you guys think
    Yep

Post Thanks / Like

well one of them called back a few minutes ago after checking out my facebook site and wants to book next week and he even said he`d drop it off- cool

hopefully I made a new client

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Heck yeah you did it right. Don`t work on something you don`t want to work on for whatever the reason. If you`re there to make money then that`s exactly what you should do. If people don`t want to pay your price for the quality you deliver, there are plenty of places they can get the price they`re after and yes, they will pay for it. Maybe not up front but they will pay for it assuming they value their vehicle. This tough talk I`m offering goes out the window when it`s family and then you`re hooked or at least in my situation.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, 512detail, Ronkh liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Brandt --

One of the many things I have learned on this earth that has stuck with me, is that there are people and then there are people who USE people, and don`t mind USING THEM UP, and giving little to nothing in return...

Someone especially in the Detailing World - will Always want something for nothing... They just don`t get it, and probably don`t even care to get it...
    It`s just how they are and how they work...

I try to stay AWAY from the USERS, hope they do well, will offer help when they really need it, and strive to surround myself with people who love, love unconditionally, and love to share, so we can all get by...

Some of us are stronger, younger, and can stop by and help those that are older, not as strong, and sometimes, just need a hand to get up..
    Just doing this alone will bring Blessings from above for fulfilling what the Master did and asked us to do the same...

Brandt, as you keep going forward, you will find those choice people out there more and more - especially since you are in Texas, which is absolutely full of really nice people who would not hesitate to stop and help a person in need..

I know this to be true because I was born and raised there and I have that stop and help gene from the get-go...

You are doing great !!!
    Dan F
    Likes 512detail, BSkip333 liked this post
    Thanks BSkip333 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, you know what you`re worth. If you`re not worth it to them, then you don`t need them. Simple.

Don`t sell yourself short, cuz if you do, well, you`ll always be short. I could see cutting your price if you were hungry, or you felt that someone needed a break, but this doesn`t seem to be the case.

Simple question, If you took the cheap job...... Would you wake up that morning dreading doing it, or would you be happy to do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Heck yeah you did it right. Don`t work on something you don`t want to work on for whatever the reason. If you`re there to make money then that`s exactly what you should do. If people don`t want to pay your price for the quality you deliver, there are plenty of places they can get the price they`re after and yes, they will pay for it. Maybe not up front but they will pay for it assuming they value their vehicle. This tough talk I`m offering goes out the window when it`s family and then you`re hooked or at least in my situation.
    yea a few years ago I probably would have let them talk me down in price, because I was struggling for clients and needed the money. Now, thank God I have a great paying corporate job that allows me to use my college degrees so detailing is just a productive hobby for me.

my family gets hooked up though, and close friends...but that`s kind of how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Brandt --

One of the many things I have learned on this earth that has stuck with me, is that there are people and then there are people who USE people, and don`t mind USING THEM UP, and giving little to nothing in return...

Someone especially in the Detailing World - will Always want something for nothing... They just don`t get it, and probably don`t even care to get it...
    It`s just how they are and how they work...

I try to stay AWAY from the USERS, hope they do well, will offer help when they really need it, and strive to surround myself with people who love, love unconditionally, and love to share, so we can all get by...

Some of us are stronger, younger, and can stop by and help those that are older, not as strong, and sometimes, just need a hand to get up..
    Just doing this alone will bring Blessings from above for fulfilling what the Master did and asked us to do the same...

Brandt, as you keep going forward, you will find those choice people out there more and more - especially since you are in Texas, which is absolutely full of really nice people who would not hesitate to stop and help a person in need..

I know this to be true because I was born and raised there and I have that stop and help gene from the get-go...

You are doing great !!!
    Dan F
    Dan I can tell you that I call out all across the country and NOBODY is as nice as in Texas. period.

as far as the users, yea, I have definitely been used in the context of detailing in the past...a while back I struggled with being too nice of a guy. thanks to my EX, problem no longer exists. lol

But in general I try to live by a philosophy of the cheesy integrity motto you see everywhere in business- integrity is doing the right thing even when nobody is watching

but as far as lowering the prices, HECK NO- I finally have a set price that I am comfortable with. What`s funny is the local drive through tunnel wash place where they scratch your car for you pre wash charges close to $40 to pull it through the tunnel and you get to vacuum it yourself for free. With that knowledge in mind I decided to STOP doing basic washes for anyone that was not an existing client because I was only charging $50 and it was taking me about 2 hours or more in some cases to wash and basic vacuum. (ok maybe I`m a little slow but I`d rather be slow and good than fast and sloppy)

Brandt K.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely agree with everybody here.

This may just be me but, I wouldn`t be too worried about not getting the bargain hunters. In my experience they always want things cheaper, still think they overpaid, and are the first to try to say you messed something up and have to fix their unrelated problem. (Not just from detailing, just general experience.)

I should also add that there is a difference between wanting the best deal and wanting to use somebody (good choice of words, Stokdgs).

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.
    Likes Stokdgs, 512detail liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

There`s a pretty realistic chance I`m going to write Mike Rowe in on my ballot in November. I just can`t even come up with the words to describe how staggering it is that we`re left with this horrendous couple of candidates to vote for. Un freakin believable

Page 49 of 216 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849505152535455565758596061626399149 ... LastLast

Thread Information