Page 215 of 216 FirstFirst ... 115165201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216 LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,225 of 3239
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

So I was abruptly awoken this morning by the sound of a big electrical bang and everything off in my room. I figured a transformer blew, but when I walked out into the main house I could hear the fridge running, but the lights wouldn`t come on? Oh this ain`t good at all. Walked down to the basement to the electrical panel and saw two breaker tripped. Eh, no biggie. Tried resetting the breaker to my outlets and instead tripped instantly (dead short). Shoot... Tried the lighting circuit and as soon as I was greeted by the sound of a buzz-pop-and bang! Come to find out we had a major power surge in town, and the noise that woke me up was the surge protector for my computer blowing up, literally. The only outlet on the lighting circuit had to be in my room with the protector for my alarm clock and phone chargers. Luckily it only took out my two surge protectors and not the equipment plugged into it. Also lost my "radio" in the garage. I`ve had those almost 20 years... Grandmothers house next door it took out all of her surge protectors! Normally I`m used to them tripping, but they literally went up in smoke! Apparently the water line over there wasn`t grounded like I thought. Getting word that all over town peoples stuff are fried; sounds like we got lucky.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I`ve heard of surges when power is restored after an outage, but nothing on the scale you`re talking about. Blowing out appliances and surge protectors all over town is a huge surge! Home/renters insurance companies won`t be happy.

This sounds like the electrical version of the gas company near Boston who blew up all those people`s homes this fall.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea apparently a tree cutting company was cutting down trees and one fell on the power line causing two lines to connect. They did it twice, luckily my stuff was still unplugged as I was trying to sleep and didn`t want to deal with it earlier.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

I have been planing to add a whole house surge protection system hooked directly to the main panel. Guess I should get off my butt and do it.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Gee, I`m surprised the Tree Service was that incompetent! Even the, uhm...low end...ones in my area do better than that.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Nizmo- Gee, I`m surprised the Tree Service was that incompetent! Even the, uhm...low end...ones in my area do better than that.
    Can you imagine what was running though the mind of the person doing the cutting! I`m sure the limb appeared to fall in slow motion and they knew immediatly nothing good was going to happen from then on.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Heh heh, *if* he was paying any attention

I do have a lot of respect for those guys, that`s one high-risk profession and/but it sometimes attracts, uhm...the wrong people. The diffs between my (good, if pricey) Tree Guys and the [individuals] my neighbor used was downright incredible..."gee, Tony, you aren`t gonna *pay* them for that are you?!?"

Post Thanks / Like

These posts remind me to get some trees trimmed this coming spring. I have to find someone who won’t try to pull a fast one on me like the guy did last year.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBGqLJ9UbRs

Gotta love ths guy... about two minutes in is where the good stuff starts.

"The car has never been in an accident. It has been sideswiped and half the car was repainted"

"It only has minor rust, just a few spots"

"It runs great, I`ve takeng good care of it. The next owner might want to look at a new catalytic converter if they want or some 02 sensors" - followed by "Oh yeah, the check engine light comes on sometimes, its only important if it is flashing"

And lots of other good stuff. Yeah, yeah, I know its a $2k car, but come on....just be honest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    These posts remind me to get some trees trimmed this coming spring. I have to find someone who won’t try to pull a fast one on me like the guy did last year.
    Unfortunately that kind of misbehavior is very common in that industry. In my area, the reputable outfits cost a bundle; my last tree service bill was more than I paid for the Crown Vic.

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! More than the Crown Vic! I’m sure thankful I only have a handful of trees to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like

And the Crown Vic was pricey for an ex-LE vehicle; I`m not talking four figures by a long shot Living in a woods can get expensive now and then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    And the Crown Vic was pricey for an ex-LE vehicle; I`m not talking four figures by a long shot Living in a woods can get expensive now and then.
    Phew! I too was a little worried. I only have one large Maple which is just now getting to the size of needing a trim and I was starting to worry about how much it would cost.

Post Thanks / Like

After shopping around,last year I paid $150 to have four palm trees trimmed. This included a $40 haul away fee which I really could’ve cleaned up myself but the tree trimmers were sneaky and did the job when I wasn’t home. I don’t want to pay more than that this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, one of the trees they took down was so big two people couldn`t put their arms around it, and it was in a place where they couldn`t get any heavy equipment in there. That one alone took a few days.

I have a few pole saws, one of which is *long*, so I can handle most normal trimming jobs. But when it comes to jobs that require real climbing I call the Pros.

Page 215 of 216 FirstFirst ... 115165201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216 LastLast

Thread Information