Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    So much Big Weather down there recently! I honestly don`t know how people put up with it.
    It`s the price we pay for living in paradise. The reward for surviving another storm season comes when I`m still driving around with the top down in December and all my family back in Oregon is snowed in.
    Likes Ronkh, mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Call me strange, but I like my changing seasons and the cold is invigorating! Snow makes it even better. I`m sure growing up in Colorado probably has something to do with that.

I lived in Hawaii for two years and couldn`t wait until we moved. I very quickly became tired of the non-stop warm weather.

Post Thanks / Like

DesertNate- Same here, even though I despise being cold and generally *am* from late fall until mid-spring. I would genuinely miss the changing seasons, can`t imagine being OK without `em.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Liz@Autopia View Post
    It`s the price we pay for living in paradise. The reward for surviving another storm season comes when I`m still driving around with the top down in December and all my family back in Oregon is snowed in.
    Those who like things like top-down motoring can indeed see it that way! I always like it when people do indeed love their locales, that`s how it oughta be IMO

Heh heh, my only convertibles lasted...a few days...before I had that "what was I thinking?!?" epiphany You`d think I`d have learned with the first one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Liz@Autopia View Post
    I send home sunny pics...……..
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    But I hear you got them hurricanes and such down yonder way...keep those

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    No sweat
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I send home sunny pics...……..
    Yeah, I do that too. If I`m feeling really mean, I`ll post a side by side comparison on Facebook with a picture from the beach here and a screenshot from one of the highway cameras near Crater Lake National Park.

Random thoughts thread-snowbeacg.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Ronkh, Tc99m, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Call me strange, but I like my changing seasons and the cold is invigorating! Snow makes it even better. I`m sure growing up in Colorado probably has something to do with that. ...
    I`m of the mindset if it`s gonna be cold, it might as well snow to make it worth it. At least then driving is more entertaining. (Remind me I said that this winter when a 2+ hour commute strikes...)

Post Thanks / Like

Doing some maintenance on a Frost Blue (matte paint) M3 at the shop right now. Neat car to look at, but man I could never own the color. Just having it here stresses me out...

Post Thanks / Like

The matte paint scares me. I kind of try to talk people out of getting it.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    The matte paint scares me. I kind of try to talk people out of getting it.
    I`d simply go nuts. I can *really* appreciate the look sometimes...reminds me of how Ian Fleming described Bond`s Bentley (and of the real-life car that inspired him) as being matte gray (surplus Royal Navy Battleship Gray paint). Even mixed a flattener with the gray paint on a project car back in the `70s to get that look (like primer but more durable/less porous). But now that I care about marring that could never be corrected....no thanks.
    Likes DBAILEY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Overall the car was super clean and defect free (especially compared to the owners other car that was in the previous day...). It did have some water spots sitting on the trunk that were peaking my anxiety and a spot on the RR quarter where someone touched it with.. something that left a smear on it.
    As I was pulling it out I noticed a big rock chip in the hood. Well, I guess that’s there then.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Ultima Acrylic Waterless Wash a few times over the last 2 months and I think I have a new favorite waterless wash (as long as you are not stuck on it adding nothing to the paint). Seems to have better cleaning ability then my other waterless washes and it leaves the surface crazy slick. I`ve used ultima waterless plus, mckees N914, Maquires d114, ONR and ONR with wax, Uber. Uber is still my favorite in rinseless dilution works very well and smells amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`d simply go nuts. I can *really* appreciate the look sometimes...reminds me of how Ian Fleming described Bond`s Bentley (and of the real-life car that inspired him) as being matte gray (surplus Royal Navy Battleship Gray paint). Even mixed a flattener with the gray paint on a project car back in the `70s to get that look (like primer but more durable/less porous). But now that I care about marring that could never be corrected....no thanks.
    The maintenance issues alone would drive me nuts too, but I just don`t get the whole frosted/matte paint trend. For me, a vehicles paint should gleam and be shiny. Matte paint looks like someone stopped at the primer and never finished the job of painting the vehicle.

While I`m ranting on matte car paint, I`ll mention wheels too. I have yet to see a set of matte wheels which look good...espicially in black. My neighbor has an Alfa Gulia with the matte gray wheels and even when new they looked like they were covered in baked on brake dust. With a little time and driving, they now look even worse. There are several other cars in my lot at work with a similar black finish and they might as well be sprayed with Rhino Lining.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Weird that I can appreciate that "but it looks like primer!" look, huh? Only on certain cars, ones that are all about performance ("No, I want it to look like that, I didn`t run out of money. If I couldn`t afford a paintjob I couldn`t have afforded those mechanicals.") Maybe it *does* go back to that souped-up Bentley that Fleming wrote about...an almost-rat rod prewar Bentley with a blower as a guy`s daily in the `50s? Still sounds great to me

But with everybody jumping on that Matte Bandwagon I guess I wouldn`t go for it these days...

And I do agree 100% about how terrible matte wheels look for exactly the reason you stated. Wouldn`t be surprised if they`re a PIA to keep clean too. I can appreicate semi-gloss black wheels if they`re done just right, but overall I guess I`m kinda over black wheels period.

Page 204 of 216 FirstFirst ... 104154190191192193194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216 LastLast

Thread Information