Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

I believe you can mix white vinegar with water...unsure on dilution ratio and it will do the same thing but is alot more environmentally friendly. That being said don`t get caught as they could have you paying for an entire new yard and landscaping fees

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- I would absolutely *talk with the neighbor* first. I would *never* presume to do anything like that without having discussed it first and gotten the OK. Despite getting along fine with my neighbors (or maybe it`s the reason why..), I simply never presume to violate the property line without having cleared it with them and I expect (and receive) the same in return. My version of "good fences make good neighbors". I don`t talk with them at all for months, or even years, at a time, but when something does need discussed...

When my one neighbor`s FIL passed, they lost their Yard Guy as he did it all for them. Now their once-perfect lawn/gardens are a mess, a really horrible weed-infested eyesore. Eventually that became my business when I had to deal with the spread of their dandelions so I discussed it with them and now they`re working on it (if, uhm...slowly) and/but they know I might mosey across the property line and do a little something if I think it`s really called for. Similar situation with my other neighbors; when they moved in I discussed how I`ve sometimes dealt with the weeds on their side lot and I got their permission to keep doing it. Just mentioning it to show I do understand what you`re dealing with and I`m not suggesting anything that I haven`t done myself for the exact same problem.

Hopefully it`ll go like it did with me- "would you mind if I.." was all it took. Both neighbors said to do whatever I saw fit and they themselves got on the stick better, perhaps out of embarrassment.
    Likes minerigger, House of Wax, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We actually had a brief discussion earlier this year about it. He asked me what I do for our yard, so I gave him the info for the service we use for fertilizer/weed control and aerating/seeding and advised him to cut his grass tall and water often (our soil is garbage). They have then proceeded to scalp it down to the dirt every time they mow and haven`t watered a single time this year.

We`re gonna put up a fence next year so we don`t have to look at it at least in the back yard, but the whole place has gone to hell in the less than 2 years since they`ve moved in and it makes the front of our place look like crap

I miss the family that moved out of there dearly lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- I couldn`t care less if my neighbors do their lawn properly, but they can`t make my life harder. When your neighbor`s weeds become your chore, then maybe he needs another nudge. At least he did discuss it with you, even if it never progressed into effective action. Maybe your thorough explanation of what he really *oughta* do overwhelmed him the way answers to "how do I make my cars look like yours" tend to do.

Too bad his lawn bugs you so much that you`re gonna resort to the fence, but maybe it`ll keep the weed seeds out too.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    We actually had a brief discussion earlier this year about it. He asked me what I do for our yard, so I gave him the info for the service we use for fertilizer/weed control and aerating/seeding and advised him to cut his grass tall and water often (our soil is garbage). They have then proceeded to scalp it down to the dirt every time they mow and haven`t watered a single time this year.

We`re gonna put up a fence next year so we don`t have to look at it at least in the back yard, but the whole place has gone to hell in the less than 2 years since they`ve moved in and it makes the front of our place look like crap

I miss the family that moved out of there dearly lol

House of Wax --
    Wow, that is a really bad weed forest going on over there..
    I am sorry you have to see it and deal with it on YOUR side..
    Your guys will have to really keep up on weed and feed, pre and post - emergent applications, to fight all the weed seeds that are constantly coming over into your yard..
    I hope they know what they are doing..

Totally agree, you need to make a visit, and tell them your guys are going to have to use stuff to keep their weeds out of your yard. It might overlap from time to time..
    Hopefully, they will take that cue and get some products down on their yard..
    All you can do.. Sorry... I hope you can find a good solution.. Perhaps the only/best solution will be to put up a 6` tall nice wooden fence on or close to the Property Line, and that for sure will help slow the weed seed migration down..

What I personally would do is really grow my grass thick and high, and keep it going really strong to help combat all those seeds that are going to get into it anyway from their side..

Things that can help your soil become better soil is of course, aerating perhaps twice a year, putting down seed, fertilizer, and other amendments when done, and watering all in really well.. Sometimes if the lawn gets too thick with excess thatch, that needs to be removed as well..

I have been lately studying up on Humic Acid which is something natural that is mined from I believe shale deposits, up in the mountains.. It is said that this product in the correct configuration will break down very quickly and add a lot of beneficial organisms and things into your soil and eventually, your soil can be improved..

Once your soil is working really good under there, it just keep getting better and of course whatever is growing above it gets much healthier too..

One such company out of Maumee, Ohio, seems to be really doing good with this product - check it out here, the product is called Anderson Humic DG.. Here is the link to the company in Ohio -- https://andersonshumates.com/

Good luck with this ! I know you will do just fine !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    House of Wax --
    Wow, that is a really bad weed forest going on over there..
    I am sorry you have to see it and deal with it on YOUR side..
    Your guys will have to really keep up on weed and feed, pre and post - emergent applications, to fight all the weed seeds that are constantly coming over into your yard..
    I hope they know what they are doing..

Totally agree, you need to make a visit, and tell them your guys are going to have to use stuff to keep their weeds out of your yard. It might overlap from time to time..
    Hopefully, they will take that cue and get some products down on their yard..
    All you can do.. Sorry... I hope you can find a good solution.. Perhaps the only/best solution will be to put up a 6` tall nice wooden fence on or close to the Property Line, and that for sure will help slow the weed seed migration down..

What I personally would do is really grow my grass thick and high, and keep it going really strong to help combat all those seeds that are going to get into it anyway from their side..

Things that can help your soil become better soil is of course, aerating perhaps twice a year, putting down seed, fertilizer, and other amendments when done, and watering all in really well.. Sometimes if the lawn gets too thick with excess thatch, that needs to be removed as well..

I have been lately studying up on Humic Acid which is something natural that is mined from I believe shale deposits, up in the mountains.. It is said that this product in the correct configuration will break down very quickly and add a lot of beneficial organisms and things into your soil and eventually, your soil can be improved..

Once your soil is working really good under there, it just keep getting better and of course whatever is growing above it gets much healthier too..

One such company out of Maumee, Ohio, seems to be really doing good with this product - check it out here, the product is called Anderson Humic DG Here is the link to the company in Ohio -- https://andersonshumates.com/

Good luck with this ! I know you will do just fine !
    Dan F
    Thanks for the info Dan.

Our yard has slowly gotten better every year as long we tend to it constantly. Our lawn guys put an application down 4 times/year and the last 2 years I`ve had em aerate and seed in the fall. That`s made a huge difference. I also mow with our mower in the highest setting throughout the summer. I tried to tell them how effective that is in crowding out the weeds, but they don`t want to listen apparently.

Biggest thing I miss from our old house was the sprinkler system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    House of Wax- I couldn`t care less if my neighbors do their lawn properly, but they can`t make my life harder. When your neighbor`s weeds become your chore, then maybe he needs another nudge. At least he did discuss it with you, even if it never progressed into effective action. Maybe your thorough explanation of what he really *oughta* do overwhelmed him the way answers to "how do I make my cars look like yours" tend to do.

Too bad his lawn bugs you so much that you`re gonna resort to the fence, but maybe it`ll keep the weed seeds out too.
    The fence is more than just not looking at the yard.....their dog and kids have 0 concept of boundaries (just had to get on their son the other day after he dumped a net full of sand on top of my brand new power washer)....they drive me nuts

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- Yikes, sorry it`s that bad! That`s just...well, gee. Is the son challenged or something? Doing something like that with the sand is simply beyond the pale, even gradeschoolers oughta knw better.

Eh, once again I`m just spoiled; for some reason both our "close enough to matter" neighbors are scared [wit]less of our dogs so disregarding boundaries the way your neighbor does wouldn`t work for them. When one of their dogs started coming onto our property, all I had to do was suggest that our male might get territorial about it and Problem Solved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    House of Wax- Yikes, sorry it`s that bad! That`s just...well, gee. Is the son challenged or something? Doing something like that with the sand is simply beyond the pale, even gradeschoolers oughta knw better.

Eh, once again I`m just spoiled; for some reason both our "close enough to matter" neighbors are scared [wit]less of our dogs so disregarding boundaries the way your neighbor does wouldn`t work for them. When one of their dogs started coming onto our property, all I had to do was suggest that our male might get territorial about it and Problem Solved.
    No, there`s just 0 rules in their house.....the kids just run around the neighborhood and do whatever.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax --
    Whoa, more than just weed problems..

I have seen kids like you described; its just too bad for them.. The ones I have seen are very destructive, they break anything and everything..
    I heard one of them took a long piece of pvc pipe and killed a neighbor`s prize chicken with it.. And that is just 1 of many, many, bad things, these 2 little boys have done..
    Exact scenario, parents that are clueless, never outside with their children, the kids are on their own all day, until pretty late at night..

If I ever even came close to doing anything like that growing up, my Mom and my Dad would have warmed up my behind so well, I would never do that again...

Well, I wish I lived close by, I would be happy to help you put those things up.. Have built a few miles of wood fencing in my life and also installed a lot of sprinkler systems Would love to come over and help do this stuff..

Here in California, they usually put in front sprinklers for you, but the backyard, you are on your own...
    And now, they use all this black, flexible water pipe instead of the good old Schedule 40 pvc pipe I put into the ground..

I am about ready to install a lot of Netafim drip system pipe into my back yard to feed all the plants I have put in to this concrete-hard lake bottom clay I have to work with...
    The 2 valves are already plumbed in, now just get a few hundred feed of pipe, adapters to connect it to the valves, run it, then get a zillion feet of tubing to pierce the pipe at the right places and put emitters on the other end of it, put it around all the plants, shrubs, trees, etc., back there..

I never knew what hard soil was like until I hit this stuff with a big heavy pick axe and it about bounced off !! Had to use a long, heavy, steel digging bar to slowly break up this solid clay down to 3` x 3`holes, and it was still solid clay at that level..

Then have to take those clay bricks out and break them up into tiny pieces so they can mix with compost and gypsum, and go back into the ground where hopefully the plant will be able to find its way and by the time it hits 3` deep, it will have strong enough roots to break through the rest of the way it needs to go to find the water table..

Have dug 54 - 3`x3` holes already and a lot more to go..
    Dan F
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    No, there`s just 0 rules in their house.....the kids just run around the neighborhood and do whatever.
    Oh boy, I`m sure *that* will end well

Heh heh, I`d actually forgotten about two other "close enough to matter" neighbors because they`re not problems! They talk with/pet the dogs through the fence, keep their places nice, their presence is simply transparent to me other than waving at each other now and then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I heard one of them took a long piece of pvc pipe and killed a neighbor`s prize chicken with it..
    If I ever even came close to doing anything like that growing up, my Mom and my Dad would have warmed up my behind so well, I would never do that again...
    Here I go again You know how I am about some of these topics...

Nah, you don`t respond to a child`s violence with violence towards the child. Kids shouldn`t Not Hurt Others because of fear they might suffer retaliatory violence, but rather because they`ve been taught to empathize and understand that hurting others is wrong.

"Repay not evil with evil, but rather repay evil with good" ...or words to that effect IIRC.

But gee, kids who do stuff like killing that chicken (by beating it to death) sometimes turn into adults who do that kind of thing to people.

...[description of very hard work]..Have dug 54 - 3`x3` holes already and a lot more to go..
    Yikes, that really sounds tough!

Post Thanks / Like

• Travel light through life. Keep only what you need
    • It’s okay to cry when you’re hurt. It’s also okay to smash (some) things; but, wash your face, clean your mess, and get up off the floor when you’re done. You don’t belong down there
    • If you’re going to curse, be clever. If you’re going to curse in public, know your audience
    • Seek out the people and places that resonate with your soul
    • Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should
    • 5-second rule. It’s just dirt. There are worse things in a fast food cheeseburger
    • Happiness is not a permanent state. Wholeness is. Don’t confuse these
    • Never walk through an alley alone
    • Be less sugar, more spice, and only as nice as you’re able to without compromising yourself.
    • Can’t is a cop-out. Totally unacceptable and doesn’t belong in your vocabulary.
    • Hold your heroes to a high standard. Be your own hero.
    • If you can’t smile with your eyes, don’t smile. Insincerity is nothing to aspire to.
    • Never lie to yourself.
    • Your body, your rules.
    • If you have an opinion, you better know why.
    • Practice your passions.
    • Ask for what you want. The worst thing they can say is no.
    • Wish on stars and dandelions, then get to work to make them happen.
    • Stay as sweet as you are.
    • Fall in love often. Particularly with ideas, art, music, literature, food and far-off places.
    • Say Please, Thank You, and Pardon Me, whenever the situation warrants it.
    • Reserve “I’m sorry” for when you truly are.
    • Naps are for grown-ups, too.
    • Question everything, except your own intuition.
    • You have enough. You are enough.
    • You are amazing! Don`t let anyone ever make you feel you are not. If someone does....walk away. You deserve better.
    • No matter where you are, you can always come home.
    • Be happy and remember your roots, family is EVERYTHING.
    • Say what you mean and mean what you say.
    • Be kind; treat others how you would like them to treat you.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I dunno about "it`s OK to smash things", "you can always come home" (presumably to something livable), "family is everything" (presumably everything good), or *always* trusting one`s intuition (without good reason to do so, I do trust mine completely). But other than those...

Great life-advice there Ron, thanks for posting that.

The minor points where we disagree are probably just a matter of, uhm...different life experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice list Ron!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    • If you’re going to curse, be clever. If you’re going to curse in public, know your audience
    Reading this reminded me of the movie `In The Loop`. A character in the film had some very imaginative curse words, and several times I said "Wow, I would have never thought to put those words together like that!"
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Page 201 of 216 FirstFirst ... 101151187188189190191192193194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215 ... LastLast

Thread Information