Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

Gearhead_1- Heh heh, yeah...you and I have seen a whole lot of "exotic race equipment" become daily driver stuff, for better or worse. Remember when those "50 series Gatorbacks" were All That?!?

And yeah, what`s "high performance" has changed a lot too! Now [certain individuals] think that "only" 400hp is insufficient for getting to work, and that they need those ceramic rotors for street use. Meanwhile nobody buys winter tires

Some areas near us have potholes that will stop most vehicles dead if hit a certain way, the kind that bend control arms (LEOs miss the Crown Vics because those could soak up stuff that breaks Chargers same as it broke the Chevy PPV). We give genuine thought to whether we can take the Audis for various errands.

The repaved our normal, suburban residential street a couple years ago and there are already big chunks of it missing...and I live in a "nice area" where things are supposedly very well maintained.

When it`s not potholes it`s Approach Angles; the S8 isn`t a "low car" by today`s standards, but I can`t use it to run local errands because it`ll scrape..no matter how I do it, it`s just too low with too much overhang to get in/out of parking lots. I watch others actually leave pieces of front airdams lying in the street, driving away like nothing happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Yeah, manuals that require dbl-clutching up make you appreciate what people went through not so long ago..at one time *every* driver had to do such stuff, and do it well, or they weren`t getting anywhere.

Thought: if you`re not "working" at the shifting, you don`t need to put time/thought/effort into it. So you can direct those at simply driving better Far to often, people take several seconds to do the right thing in emergent situations and IRL there`s seldom time for that. I`m all about distilling Driving down to the basics so one`s resources aren`t spread too thin. Heh heh, a Q that usually gets me blank looks is..when somebody talks about braking during an accident or even a near-miss: "How many ABS pulses did you get before that happened?" If the answer is anything except "way too many to count" then the driver totally blew it, and I dunno about adding a manual transmission into that mix.

Post Thanks / Like

Random thoughts thread-img_0264.jpgYesterday we got a invite in the mail to join nextdoor dot com. I never should have joined, for one can never unsee whats been seen. A third of what was on there for my "community" was about this man. He sits in the median with this sign. I smile at him, or if in the convertible I say hi to him. More than likely what on the sign isn`t true. Who really knows what the whole true story is about him. I`ve been by him many, many times. He sits there quietly every time I`ve seen him. People want him gone so badly. Comments on this so call community site say things like he`s vulgar, smokes weed constantly while there, throws garbage all around him. I`ve never seen him smoking. I`m sure he has yelled some vulgarities out. Probably at people who said mean nasty things to him first. People on there saying things like he should be locked up in a cage at the zoo. Hopefully an accident happens in the intersection and he get crushed. Personally I don`t hand out money like that. Which I think is said because there are some who just truly need the help, but the bad eggs ruin it for them too. Even if I knew he drives a Ferrari Daytona and just sat there for the easy money. I would not be so mean to this person. He`s not forcing anybody to do anything. He`s not in the way of traffic. He doesn`t approach you asking for anything. Why wish harm on someone, and someone will probably follow through someday. The messed up thing is they`ll probably get away with it too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, I had forgotten all about those gatorbacks. I`m like holy cow yeah.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    Accumulator, I had forgotten all about those gatorbacks. I`m like holy cow yeah.
    Herb Adams stuck as set on a C2 `vette and it promptly handled almost as well as a C3...I put a set on my F-body and promptly got away with driving like a [jerk]. Those were a real advance, and I was used to Michelins.

And I hear you on the way people just Love To Hate on some folks. No, I basically never give to panhandlers. I know people who go the extra mile and get to know such people and then decide whether to help them or not...OK, great, but I`m just not gonna do that BUT, to ridicule them, to wish them ill...bah [expletive] that.

IMO if he *is* a vet of that disaster he`s earned the right to be vulgar and to smoke whatever he wants. OK, he shouldn`t litter..if he`s really doing that. Somebody who gives to him will have earned the right to perhaps suggest that.

I sincerely hope you just blow off that NextDoor [crap] rather than allowing it to pollute your life and waste your time. Though I suppose it`s given you some insight into your fellow community members.

Post Thanks / Like

Those gators definitely were a big leap forward in tires. I was too poor back then to get to experience them first hand though.

I had closed that account after only a few hours. I think you used the correct word when you said "pollute my life" that`s exactly what it would do real fast. I`m so glad for all of you here on autopia, where community has real meaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad
    I had closed that account after only a few hours. ..
    . Glad to hear that.

I`m so glad for all of you here on autopia, where community has real meaning.
    And props to the Mods who keep this place civil, even if they do occasionally err on the side of caution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Swanicyouth- Be sure to keep the dehumidier`s tank nice and clean. Even though "it`s just distilled water" mine usually (OK...always) get too nasty for me to use their output on anything that matters so I just toss it down the drain while spending $ for distilled
    That’s the beauty of the setup. Water doesn’t go in the tank. Goes right out the hose in the back into the gallon container. It can overflow - there’s a drain right there in the floor. Just bought some 2 gallon buckets with lids

Post Thanks / Like

Heh. SW, if I`m using distilled in my detailing bottles, there must be a reason why I`m using DI . It`s only like a dollar a jug.

LOL, but where the water comes off the condensate, I would think there is something on the valve/plumbing where the outlet is.
    I`ve taken apart many AC related things. Every month, I put a cleaner tab on the drip rail as well, just to keep the baddies away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    That’s the beauty of the setup. Water doesn’t go in the tank. Goes right out the hose in the back into the gallon container...
    Heh heh...oh sheesh...how could I have overlooked that, what with two of `em set up to drain into my floor drains?!? Out of sight, out of mind I guess It`s the ones in rooms with no such drains that I`m seeing all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics
    ...[distilled water].. only like a dollar a jug.
    Lots less if you buy it in 5 gallon jugs, at least in my area.

Post Thanks / Like

5G jugs - It was never even on my radar to look for a Costco sized jug ;-)
    $1 per G is cheap enough. And easier on storage on shelves

Post Thanks / Like

For me the $1 per gallon isn’t the point. The point is always having to remember to get it and keep enough on hand and dragging those gallons home.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, even $1/gallon is more than it costs in our local grocery stores, must be a regional thing...IIRC the last time I bought single gallons it was ~0.79. OK, only 20¢ but a few of those do add up.

The 5 gallon jugs we can get are from a Water Treatment (i.e., softeners/salt/etc.) place. IIRC it was about $3.75 or so...again, small savings but hey I`m there for salt anyhow (which is another thing that can be pretty inexpensive if you get a sale/coupon).

But yeah, the single gallons are handy and don`t take up much space.

Post Thanks / Like

SW. It`s the internet...so hard to decipher tone of voice ;-).
    I wasn`t calling out on the ROI of things.

I was pointing out that the water that collects on the drip rail or the elbow/condensate outlet....more often that not, it`s not exactly ~crystal clear clean~.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    SW. It`s the internet...so hard to decipher tone of voice ;-).....
    Heh heh, that`s the truth! Hence all of my *emphasis* asterisks, use of CAPs, boldface, scare-quotes, "uhm..."s and "heh heh heh"s.

Page 197 of 216 FirstFirst ... 97147183184185186187188189190191192193194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211 ... LastLast

Thread Information