Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    Anybody know where I can get rubber underwear? Tired of having to clean up after people scare the crap out of me on the road.
    Heh heh...get yourself some Adrenal Stress Conditioning as applied to Driving, then such incidents will result in a whole `nother automatic response, one that TCB faster/better than conscious thought

Despite a whole lotta, uhm....experiences..., I can honestly say I`ve don`t experience fear behind the wheel. I just don`t process driving that way even when the vehicle I`m driving is being demolished around me.

Fear compromises driving performance. Reprogramming is possible.

Apologies if I took a light-hearted remark too seriously, this is yet another of those topics where I`m uhm...the way I am I put a *LOT* into the topic, changed my life.

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

PA DETAILER- Ah, what`s that from? What color is it?

If I *had* to buy a (non-LE) Charger I`d almost certainly want the ScatPack rather than a faster/slower one. (Actually, I`d want a ScatPack engine in a LE car, despite having to run the old 5A trans.)

Post Thanks / Like

Spent a little time under my truck yesterday and yeah it’s still dirty but it does have a new Hellwig Sway Bar. I’ve run these bars on my last 4 trucks, they dramatically change (in a positive way) the way these heavy vehciles handle. Corners so flat when compared to the OE set up.

Random thoughts thread-dd8f5625-73a9-40e5-9adc-f490a7dfff8d.jpegRandom thoughts thread-c1607a0c-32e7-44b4-afe0-56537c41d6d9.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Coleroad, Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Mi Hermano, El Granaje`-Cabeza` Numero Uno !
    That looks very nice and black !! Perfect color for the entire axle, differential, and swaybar..
    I remember Hellwig swaybars from the 70`s.. They worked great back then too ..
    Thanks for the hard work and then the pics !
    Dan F
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool @Gearhead_1

Guy at the audio shop has me considering new springs, brakes and such. Not for a while. The audio system cost a fortune!
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Random thoughts thread-l1000.jpg
    Now we`re talkin`

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    PA DETAILER- Ah, what`s that from? What color is it?

If I *had* to buy a (non-LE) Charger I`d almost certainly want the ScatPack rather than a faster/slower one. (Actually, I`d want a ScatPack engine in a LE car, despite having to run the old 5A trans.)
    The ScatPack cars are true bargains in what you get for your $$.

Accumulator, you want the 8-spd. ZF. I`ve had both. Trust me on this one.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    The ScatPack cars are true bargains in what you get for your $$.
    And IMO the best "real world" level of power for use in...conditions I can envision.

Accumulator, you want the 8-spd. ZF. I`ve had both. Trust me on this one.
    I want that transmission but not the console mounted shifter that it requires. I won`t even have a full console in such a car (just a little one between the seats that leaves the whole "floor in front of the seats" area open. It`s a case of "horses for courses"; the Charger would be a Crown Vic replacement (which wouldn`t work as they`re too small inside and anyhow the rocker rust..) and the CV is my "serious use car" and those all run column-shifts; it`s what I`m trained with and what I`m wired to use right/fast under stress.

I`ve spent a *LOT* of time training with console setups and just can`t perform some stuff as well. Sometimes for the same reasons a manual wouldn`t work well. It`s a case of knowing from experience what I want to be able to do in a certain vehicle.

E.g., I cannot do a "disabled driver drill" successfully (even from the passenger seat, let alone the rear) in a car with a full center console even if it doesn`t have a shifter sticking up out of it. Period, and I`ve sure spent a lot of time trying. [Shoot], under stress I just automatically process "shifter on console", I sometimes start to reach for it before consciously knowing why.

Post Thanks / Like

Gearhead_1- Hey, great that you`ve mounted the Hellwig!

You do just the rear or the front too?

Gotta get my Hotchkiss ones on the Tahoe some day...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Gearhead_1- Hey, great that you`ve mounted the Hellwig!

You do just the rear or the front too?

Gotta get my Hotchkiss ones on the Tahoe some day...
    Already had some upgraded bushings on the front and didn’t have a complaint. That said, the front Hellwig bar is a solid bar and the OE is a tube. I’ll no doubt change it.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Gearhead_1- Sometimes a seemingly odd front:rear combo works fine, never really know until you try (although you oughta be able to avoid really awful mismatches).

Never really know how/if the hollow vs. solid will work out either..

I just wondered, if you only did the rear, whether it made it prone to snap-oversteer under some conditions. Guys do [certain combos] on some of my vehicles that I *KNOW* are downright unsafe, but ya can`t tell `em anything And then when it bites `em they expect sympathy for a wreck that "they couldn`t have avoided".

Is the Hellwig (rear) adjustable? The Hotchkiss has three options and I`ll probably go with the middle one, though I`d recommend that most people use the "mildest" choice in a Tahoe and leave the others for Subs.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing particularly odd about a tube/solid combination. I’ve driven vehicles that use one of each swapping front to rear configuration depending on the vehicles needs and according to track. I have a little hands on experience with these on a Fox Body including a splined radial tension rear bar. In a nutshell and in my opinion, given the same diameter bar, the solid piece was simply stiffer than the tube.

I’m at 2” of lift on the front end (Bilstein 5100’s) on a 4X4 with fairly high center of gravity, just need to see how it feels once I get a few miles on it. Tuning a suspension for the masses is just a different ball of wax than setting one up for individual tastes and driving ability.

Hellwig has 3 available positions on the bar and threaded links with at least 3” of adjustability available in the links. You can set these bars pretty much wherever makes you happy. Keeping in mind this is a vehicle that will never see the track. I’ve started out with a pretty light position and will adjust according to my taste. Their front bar is not adjustable and I haven’t seen others for this set up that are.

I’ve run Hotchkis bars before (Mustangs) but they don’t seem to play the F150 4X4 game, in fact not a lot of manufacturers seem to. I know Hotchkis made bars for the Lightning but the one instance of which I’m aware, seemed to cheap out on the lower U-Bolt saddle, wasn’t heavy enough. It would bend and twist before you really got the saddle and bushing mount to meet. Friend had one and had a hard time keeping the saddle from shifting pulling into his driveway through the gutter. I can’t remember how he resolved this issue.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Hey GearHead i didn`t know you are a truck guy, next time you`re on YouTube look up SCA performance, that is the place i work.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Will do but I gotta be honest with you, I’m not into big lifts on pickups. I like a truck that sits level but don’t really go up from there.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 195 of 216 FirstFirst ... 95145181182183184185186187188189190191192193194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209 ... LastLast

Thread Information