Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

I hate Facebook. This is not new and I know there are members here that have the same feelings. Now I hate it worse. I am a big baseball fan, I watch every Braves baseball game that I can. Now Facebook is showing MLB games. It’s not like they are giving me a choice to watch on tv, it’s Facebook or nothing. It downright unAmerican. I feel like I have been violated. Facebook is taking over the world. First rigging elections, now it’s my baseball. It feels like one of those sci-fi movies where all our rights are taken away by corporations. I thought not being able to watch Star Trek anywhere but CBS on demand was bad, but damn THIS IS BASEBALL!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

rlmccarty2000- Eh, why not just avoid it? I suppose that`s not so easy for those who rely on it for business/etc. though...

Post Thanks / Like

If only people would refuse to watch it on Facebook. Then they would quickly put it back on broadcast tv. Sad part is we know way to many will watch it on Facebook, and think that`s the greatest thing ever. To bad all social media wasn`t like autopia.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps it was monetary based

Let me ask this..would you rather have to pay for MLB access or whatever the package is or watch it for free on some social media platform?

Not a big fb fan either but it`s a necessary evil for me.

I remember when you had to be a student to be on Facebook. First girl I met at a party in college said "Facebook me" and I didnt even know what Facebook was back then in 2004.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

There`s a guy in Georgia I`ll probably use if I build the current Crown Vic...two guys actually...and that`s how they run their businesses; their basic form of contact with the public is via Facebook.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    The guy who bought it from me did the engine and drivetrain a little more than I thought he would. He started to compete on 1/4 mile and was the fastest 4 cylinder non turbo back wheel drive car in Sweden for some years. High 10s if I remember correctly.
    There are a handful of 20-ish year old men and women who show up at my local Cars and Coffee occasionally with some hilariously modified Volvo wagons. Most are beat down, rusted 740`s of various years with MASSIVE turbo`s, intercoolers, and other engine mods. The comaprison of the engine bay to the rest of the vehicle makes you almost laugh out loud. I love seeing them.

When the new modell of V90 came I did not like it at first. But I think they got back to the flat fronts that where what they had under the 70s and 80s. And it stands out a little more than before and more Volvo like.

I don`t know if Volvo has their XC90 in the US. Which I driven some and is a nice SUV like car.
    My area probobably isn`t a good sample of the Volvo presense in the US. I`ve seen a few S90`s, to include a neighbor, but the V90 and XC90 are about as common as an alien space craft. I`ve only seen one XC90 on the road and the only V90 I`ve seen was at the auto show this year. Fun fact: Dealers will not stock the V90 in the US on their lots. If you want one, it has to be a special order.
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I thought not being able to watch Star Trek anywhere but CBS on demand was bad, but damn THIS IS BASEBALL!
    I agree Facebook is horrible. I`m only on once a month or two to make sure my distant friends and realitives are still alive. Using it as a video platform is a terrible idea. I`m glad the Cardinals have locked in a deal with Fox Sports.

BBC America plays Star Trek all the time, but it`s usually Next Generation, Voyager, or Deep Space Nine.

Post Thanks / Like

Just say no to the social media addiction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Just say no to the social media addiction.
    Easy solution for some of us, huh? I figure I have better ways to occupy my time and I genuinely don`t get the idea of caring about what *people you don`t know who aren`t gonna influence your life* are doing/thinking/etc. Why care if some stranger who will have zero impact on you (unless you allow it) "likes" you?!?

Though I guess it`s another of those "easy to talk when you can do it that way" things, and I will admit that like DesertNate my wife and her far-flung family do put it to good, sensible use.
    Likes trashmanssd, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Facebook bought the sole rights to 20 or 25 MLB games. The Braves too have a contract with Fox Sports but I guess that allows Fox to sell rights for its games to Facebook. I tried several ways to watch the game. My IPad does not support “Flash” media so I couldn’t watch that way. I have a smart LG tv but they don’t have a Facebook app and when I used the browser to connect to Facebook I still couldn’t see the game. If you have to use Facebook for business purposes I understand, but I enjoy watching baseball on my nice 65 inch tv and don’t want to be reduced to staring at on my phone or iPad. I blame MLB too as they are trying to reach younger people through social media, even though most of the young people I know have also given up Facebook.

Post Thanks / Like

As an Introvert I just fear that I will be nagged by people that I knew 10-20-30 years ago looking to chat or wanting to meet up. I am only capable of having 1-2 friends and they have to be very convenient (not much work and not looking to talk more then once a week). I tolerate non-immediate family and acquaintances only in person under protest. When my phone rings I cringe at the thought of having a conversation. This forum is by far my most active social interaction that is not work or family related.

Post Thanks / Like

trashmanssd- Sounds sensible to me. For some, having "friends" means having *real* friends ("friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies" as the saying goes, and I`d caution not to confuse the two), which sets the bar pretty high.

Have you ever read that book...?oh, what`s the title?.."Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can`t Stop Talking"? I keep meaning to but haven`t gotten around to it
    Likes Stokdgs, trashmanssd liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Rlmccarty2000 -- Sorry that greed has again, found a way to ruin what used to be the best National Pastime, for you, watching a Baseball game...
    I loved going to Candlestick park and Oakland to watch the Giants or the A`s play on a nice, cool, weekday or Saturday afternoon..

I remember when businesses advertised via Face to Face, the US Mail, Radio, and Television, if you were really rich..

Then the Internet of Things came out, and a lot of people built - Websites - and that was cutting edge..

Now, it`s all instant social media like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc., and apparently zillions cannot wake up without FIRST checking their Facebook/Twitter feed /page and seeing how many "likes" they have received..

This is all so sad..

One needs to see how many total strangers, (who would never give a hoot if you lived, died, or went missing), pressed the "Like" button to now feel better about yourself ???

When my marriage imploded 6 years ago, my dear daughters built me a Facebook page and encouraged me to use it.. For awhile, it was kind of interesting, and very easy to keep up with my kids and their kids doing things, etc...

But later, it got more "busy" as the technology evolved, and pretty soon, after a long, hard 12+ hour day of Detailing in the Shop and then my garage, all I had time to do was look at it briefly, and Delete hundreds of things without reading them, because I had no time, and after awhile the predictable pattern started grating against me, because I am just not that right "fit" for this stuff... I shut it all off and have not missed it once..

Nothing will ever beat sitting at a table with friends, friends to be, family, even strangers, and looking into each others eyes, feeling each others spirits, and having a wonderful meal, and a conversation..
    Where we actually have to be able to think out loud and express ourselves to others, with our very selves, nothing hidden, behind a little tippy-tap keyboard....

I am so grateful that with all the modern technologies available today, for the awesome generosity of Autopia Forums and the incredible, selfless, people who work here and pay for this, so that we all may have the opportunity to be here in a non combative, not full of expletives, etc., place, and just be ourselves, without all the social media "stuff" that I find so annoying.. Thanks, Autopia guys and gals !!!
    Dan F
    Likes 512detail liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Audi CEO arrested in Audi Dieselgate case -- https://www.quattroworld.com/audi-ne...source=Quattro

Oh no, here we go again...
    Too bad..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Easy solution for some of us, huh? I figure I have better ways to occupy my time and I genuinely don`t get the idea of caring about what *people you don`t know who aren`t gonna influence your life* are doing/thinking/etc. Why care if some stranger who will have zero impact on you (unless you allow it) "likes" you?!?
    Totally agreement with this.

99% of the time I`m in RX mode on social media. I`ll check on friends and family occasionally on FB, but most of the time I`m on Twitter or Instagram. Twitter because I follow a few comedians, auto racing teams, and my local pro sports teams. It keeps me up to date with their progress. On Instagram I folow the racing teams and a couple of manufactures like Porsche, Aston Martin, BMW and Audi because the photography they put on their official accounts is simply amazing. All that said I doubt I spend more than 15~20 minutes a day on all of the platforms combined. Exceptions are when I`m stuck waiting somewhere like the airport for a flight.

I know people don`t care what I think, and honestly don`t care what they think either. There is far too much life to be lived in the physical world around us to waste time in the information domain. Present company and platform excluded, of course!

Page 189 of 216 FirstFirst ... 89139175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189190191192193194195196197198199200201202203 ... LastLast

Thread Information