Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

Nizmo- Heh heh, yeah...that was a big `un to get in there single-handed!

The "cheap crappy HF" stuff sometimes surprises you with decent durability, I wouldn`t worry.

Give *LOTS* of thought to those permanent airlines, fortunately it`s one of the things I got right when designing the current shop. Now... had I only gotten all the other stuff right too!

You got an air/blow gun that you like for drying nooks and crannies? Funny how attached I`ve become to the pair that I have, sure glad I bought two of `em since I often use two airhoses. After those I`m kinda put off by all the others even though some look almost identical, funny how those little personal preferences work out.

Oh, and speaking of which, the newer quick disconnects that stay "open" are well worth the $ IMO, in case you`ll be shopping for such stuff. Last time I used some regular ones I was, uhm...plumbing the depths of my vocabulary.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

The "cheap crappy HF" stuff sometimes surprises you with decent durability, I wouldn`t worry.

Give *LOTS* of thought to those permanent airlines, fortunately it`s one of the things I got right when designing the current shop. Now... had I only gotten all the other stuff right too!

You got an air/blow gun that you like for drying nooks and crannies? Funny how attached I`ve become to the pair that I have, sure glad I bought two of `em since I often use two airhoses. After those I`m kinda put off by all the others even though some look almost identical, funny how those little personal preferences work out.

Oh, and speaking of which, the newer quick disconnects that stay "open" are well worth the $ IMO, in case you`ll be shopping for such stuff. Last time I used some regular ones I was, uhm...plumbing the depths of my vocabulary.
    I have a rough idea in my head of where I need the air outlets the most, but other than that it will probably be trial and error.

A blow gun is definitely on my must have list. There`s no telling how many times I`ve wanted one for blowing the dust out of an engine bay, or like you said those pesky water drips. We use them at work and I`ve been not so impressed with most available so I made my own. Bought a nice gun at Napa, along with it a compression fitting and some 3/16" brake tubing. You might think that`s small, but it offers tons of pressure and not drain the tank too fast. I`ve dropped, thrown, etc. the thing around and while a little bent up, still works great! I`ll build one just like it for my personal use.

We order alot of our air fittings through McMaster-Carr and seem to hold up well, a little expensive, but worth it. They also sell length of industrial grade air hose that is excellent quality. Right now I have this janky pvc type that is stiff as a board when it`s cold. I`m gonna spend some dough and make my own good industrial style hoses.

Another thing I`ll add, I know it`s a portable compressor, it will pretty much have a permanent spot. So I`ll have to put a threaded elbow and ball valve on the bottom of the compressor to drain the water easier than the factor thumb bolt type. We did this to one of the work vans that has a "permanent" compressor on it. We took it one step further and put a section of hose on it so we can just back up to a drain grate and let it rip!
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    It was a bit heavy to do it myself, so I needed their help. The bumper is scratched up already unfortunately, so why not a couple more, which is exactly what happened.
    Any room under your cargo floor to store some old towels or similar? I always have a couple stashed under the floor for loading/hauling stuff. I Always drape something over the bumper when the dogs are jumping in/out of the back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Any room under your cargo floor to store some old towels or similar? I always have a couple stashed under the floor for loading/hauling stuff. I Always drape something over the bumper when the dogs are jumping in/out of the back.
    There is; I have moving blankets and fabric that lays on the back seat, I just wasn`t thinking at the moment. The moving blanket I had laying down was long enough I could have draped it over the bumper. Honest mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    There is; I have moving blankets and fabric that lays on the back seat, I just wasn`t thinking at the moment. The moving blanket I had laying down was long enough I could have draped it over the bumper. Honest mistake.
    Bummer. At least it wasn’t the first mark.

For air hoses, we’ve got the flexzilla reels at my shop and they’ve been awesome. Not sure how they compare price wise to the McMaster Carr stuff. Not sure the brand, but I’ve got the blue plastic female quick connect coupler on the end of the hose- my first one lasted around 15 years getting full time use for Auto repair. Tool pushes straight in, silver quick release button to pop the tool out. Like Accumulator, standard fittings prompt grumbling after realizing they’re not speed fittings...

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Ah, sounds like you`re nicely dialed-in on this stuff without any advice from me And yeah, sometimes those crappy looking cobbled-together tools that others might disparage ("oh, you should step up to THIS...") actually work perfectly.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Ah, sounds like you`re nicely dialed-in on this stuff without any advice from me And yeah, sometimes those crappy looking cobbled-together tools that others might disparage ("oh, you should step up to THIS...") actually work perfectly.
    Any advice is always appreciated and well noted. Sometimes you need someone with a different view on things

Post Thanks / Like

Being in Miami has really been an eye opener to how much different the culture and affluence is down here. I never had much desire to be here, but it`s been a cool experience thus far.

Likes Ronkh, Nizmo, nickclark08, trashmanssd, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This guy has a lot on his mind

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Nizmo, trashmanssd, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Shoulda just asked someone for help...
    https://youtu.be/A1vEdlD59mQ
    Likes trashmanssd, Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sad thing is that I bet there really *are* people so clueless as to fall victim to stuff like that. Much as I tend to say stuff like "Darwinism keep happening..." it`s still a shame that it happens IRL.

"Don`t be near the vans of unknown people" is one of those good general guidelines...yeah, it does make for a bit of inconvenience at times but that`s OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of pollen, it’s terrible here and supposed to get worse by the weekend. My driveway is yellow which matches my wife’s outdoor car. My eyes start itching when I walk out of the door. 80+ degrees in mid February? Ouch!
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Ughhh. Thanks for the reminder. That will be our area in about a month with the way the weather is already starting to turn. Never knew a black car could turn yellow without being painted until I moved into the Mississippi basin.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Page 165 of 216 FirstFirst ... 65115151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179215 ... LastLast

Thread Information