NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    I have virtually *nothing* that came from a studio. I really like guys / bands that play to people, improvise, never play a song the same way twice, challenge the music. I remember going to Grateful Dead concerts and thinking...." I wonder what Jerry is going to do tonight".
    Glfnaz --------
    Oh Yeah !!!!!!!! Loved live concerts !! Why did they keep passing these funny looking cigarettes down the aisle all the time ??? Oh, was I supposed to keep passing it ???
    The Grateful Dead with their huge Wall of Sound Speaker System in the Fillmore West !!!! Have never seen that many speakers stacked that high..
    No one can ever sound like them again...
    Dan F
    Likes Ronkh, glfnaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ronkh --
    McIntosh and Marantz tube amplifiers - really, really, great, clear, no distortion, sound !!! Marantz is out of the Bay Area up here about 130 miles away or so...
    All the great artists of the era I grew up listening to used McIntosh purposely and I am forever grateful for that..
    Maybe someday, when I grow up, I will be able to afford that line..Guess I could sell my house and maybe I could start to afford their incredible equipment..
    Dan F
    Likes trashmanssd, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    See ! I`m not just the only one that hears the difference !
    Wow - would love to hear the story behind the "Putting a monstrous 3 amp with DSP sound system in my car has ruined me" someday..

My 2007 Acura Type-S has a "Surround Sound System in it from the Factory; it`s not too bad but doesn`t have enough horsepower to play the great track by Blood, Sweat, and Tears, Blues Part II with enough volume.. Yeah, needs those 3 amps..
    Dan F
    Ever heard the expression “if it’s worth doing, it’s worth over doing?” That’s the basis of the whole thing.

I got my accord, my first new car, and after about a year decided I wanted to have some decent sound, as I’d never had a car with an upgraded sound system. First thought was just to buy some JBL speakers and call it done.

Went over to the forums at diyma.com and was quickly told that wouldn’t likely do too much, and might even make it sound worse. The rabbit hole was opened. I learned about amps, line out converters, dsp’s and so forth. Then there was sound deadening.

So I replaced the speakers, bought wire, sound deadening materials, built an amp rack, asked lots of questions, found wiring diagrams and proceeded to rip my car apart to do all this. The process terrified me, but I couldn’t afford to pay a shop to do the install, that was over $500 just for the labor. Took me two full days. Lots of frustration, sweat and cursing, but I got it done. Then I added a pre boxed powered sub because the bass just wasn’t there.

Then I saw somebody with an Accord added additional 5” speakers into the side panels in the rear seat. Sounded cool, so I did it. But doing that meant I needed another amp to power these additional speakers. Doing that meant I could remove the crossovers for the front component speakers, so I had to rewire all that.

Then I wanted my trunk space back. So, I cut a hole in my rear deck to mount a 10” sub and mounted one there. But that meant I needed another amp, so that and the one in the last paragraph we’re mounted under the trunk false bottom.

3 amps, 8 speakers and a sub. And the trunk completely freed up. Oh, and it sounds glorious. But it’s not a process I ever want to have to do again, even though I’m sure I could do it much faster the next time.
    Likes Stokdgs, Jaddie, Ronkh, Tc99m, nickclark08 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Jaddie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mcintosh Amps and WAMM (Wilson Audio Modular Monitors) speakers. Heard it one time in a sound room at the Wilson Audio factory in Provo, Utah. Never heard anything quite like that since. Speakers weighed in at over 1000 lbs. and retailed for more than $500 K. It was truly an experience.

The ones I listened to weren’t the Chrono’s but a former model of the WAMM’s. I also listened to the WATT Puppies. I remember listening to Peter Garbriel’s Lay Your Hands on Me. It was amazing.

https://youtu.be/XRyhNnl4AKE
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, trashmanssd liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I saw 2 Wall Of Sound shows. 1973 at UCLA (it was an early rendition of it), and Hollywood Bowl in `74. Sunshine Daydream!

Glfnaz --------
    Oh Yeah !!!!!!!! Loved live concerts !! Why did they keep passing these funny looking cigarettes down the aisle all the time ??? Oh, was I supposed to keep passing it ???
    The Grateful Dead with their huge Wall of Sound Speaker System in the Fillmore West !!!! Have never seen that many speakers stacked that high..
    No one can ever sound like them again...
    Dan F
    Likes Stokdgs, Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Mcintosh Amps and WAMM (Wilson Audio Modular Monitors) speakers. Heard it one time in a sound room at the Wilson Audio factory in Provo, Utah. Never heard anything quite like that since. Speakers weighed in at over 1000 lbs. and retailed for more than $500 K. It was truly an experience.

The ones I listened to weren’t the Chrono’s but a former model of the WAMM’s. I also listened to the WATT Puppies. I remember listening to Peter Garbriel’s Lay Your Hands on Me. It was amazing.

Utah seems to be a hotspot for speaker manufacturers.
    The devil made me do it the first time.
    The second time I done it on my own.

The only good thing about getting old is no longer having to worry about dying young.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post

Mi Hermano, El Gear-Head-UNO !
    Those bad boys are Huge !!!
    Well, since they are OVER $500k, chances are, I will have to pass...
    I`m not getting the art statement they make very well either..
    Tks for sharing..
    Dan F
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mi Hermano, El Gear-Head-UNO !
    Those bad boys are Huge !!!
    Well, since they are OVER $500k, chances are, I will have to pass...
    I`m not getting the art statement they make very well either..
    Tks for sharing..
    Dan F
    You got that right, they’re not visually pretty. The ones I listened to were all black but still tall and imposing. Sit back in the chair and close your eyes and those issues melt away. I mentioned the WATT Puppies. I don’t even know if they’re made anymore. They were kind of their “entry level” product back in the day. Even they were pretty amazing.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Love this song......

Some visceral sax around time 2:19

Wish we had the amps and speakers and direct disc now.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the FBI is looking for me! I will get out of here quicker than Luis Gutierrez leaving the SOTU after hearing “USA!”
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes House of Wax, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The rodent saw his shadow.
    6 more weeks of Florida.
    Likes Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    The rodent saw his shadow.
    6 more weeks of Florida.
    Likes Ronkh, Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Ya look a little green with envy to me.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Irrelevant in WI too!

I would be thrilled with only six more weeks of winter. 5 years ago we got 9 inches of snow in early May
    Likes trashmanssd, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Likes Ronkh, nickclark08 liked this post

Page 162 of 216 FirstFirst ... 62112148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176212 ... LastLast

Thread Information