Re: Random thoughts thread

First gen of CD players as about 1984.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Chesky records?

Manchester CT?

Larry Chesky?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Any old farts here (like me) who remember the sticker shock when CD`s first came out?
    I can. I had only one friend whose parents were wealthy enough to have a CD player in their stereo system. Actually there were one of the only families wealthy enough to have a stereo system too... They also had a humble collection of some great CDs; stuff like Stevie Ray Vaugh, Eric Clapton, and some classical albums. It was always an event to just sit and listen for an hour or so.

When I graduated from High School several years later, I used ALL of the money I was given as graduation gifts to buy my first portable stereo with a built-in CD play and two CD`s. I wanted to make sure I had some good tunes in the college dorm.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is David Chesky and out of NYC. May have been CT at one time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Are you talking about the discs or the players?
    My first auto CD players (forget the brand(s) had `em in Benzes in the early `80s) required a plastic sleeve that you put the CD into, then *that* was inserted in the player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    First gen of CD players as about 1984.
    Yeah, that`s about right..well, IIRC...

Post Thanks / Like

They have relatives that did Polka bands?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    They have relatives that did Polka bands?

Think is all same family. Was introduced to them by Dolph Traymon.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol records...Nobody likes music more than me. But records are about the stupidest thing ever today..CDs aren’t far behind.

$9.99 a month for Apple Music and unlimited data. I have a few hundred records I’m keeping for posterity...I’ll never play them. Maybe 1000 CDs and the same.

A record is like driving a horse and buggy around after they invented the car. Just silly. What’s next 8 Tracks?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what you like to listen for in the music you play, for my needs..

I remember when all the great LP`s of the late 60`s and 70`s were $2.25 at the Base BX, and I had all of them.
    Put them all on tape and just used tape at 7-1/2ips (better fidelity) and made my own PlayLists, before those words were invented..

As time went on and I continued to improve my system/s, finally when they all music went into CD and SACD HDCD, etc., with much sadness, retired all the records and watched as all the compressed music come out in all its different formats, some better than others..

I have an old apple account where I have paid for geez - a lot of music and there is no doubt, it is much more handier than any other media out today..
    But I still want to Hear things in the music (that is only there if the music was recorded very well and then mixed even better by really good people) that are just not there in that compressed music..

When you run a very well recorded and mixed sacd or cd through really good equipment in say 7.1 Surround Sound format through really good speakers, the things that were recorded in the music come alive and to me, really add all that I have loved to hear since the very beginning..

Some of best recordings and mixed at really high levels today are almost all of Elton John`s music, and as the technology improved, one can really tell the difference..
    For sure, his Honkey Chateau and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Sacd`s are incredibly well recorded, mixed and sound really "alive" on my set up..

Guess what I am trying to say is that when a really well played, recorded, and mixed cd or sacd, etc., is played on even better equipment, one can close their eyes and "hear" the different instruments, voices, harmonies, as if they are standing in front of you playing from different parts of the room.. You can hear the breath passing through an alto sax, all the different percussion instruments, the sound is "thick" and rich vs just good sound..

I remember reading that many groups from the 60`s and 70`s would only record and play through McIntosh equipment, and boy, that makes a real difference especially in a live concert !!!
    Yes, those were the days..
    Dan F
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Lol records...Nobody likes music more than me. But records are about the stupidest thing ever today..CDs aren’t far behind.

$9.99 a month for Apple Music and unlimited data. I have a few hundred records I’m keeping for posterity...I’ll never play them. Maybe 1000 CDs and the same.

A record is like driving a horse and buggy around after they invented the car. Just silly. What’s next 8 Tracks?
    You know, my friend, 8-tracks actually sounded much better than cassettes because they played at a faster speed.
    I never had an 8 track around any longer by the time CD`s came out, but would have been a great comparison test..
    Thanks for the memory-jog !
    Dan F
    Likes DBAILEY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can absolutely hear the difference between music from my phone, even in the Apple “lossless” format and from a cd. I don’t think cd’s are stupid at all, just not nearly as convenient as modern digital.

Putting a monstrous 3 amp with DSP sound system in my car has ruined me.
    Likes Stokdgs, DBAILEY liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I can absolutely hear the difference between music from my phone, even in the Apple “lossless” format and from a cd. I don’t think cd’s are stupid at all, just not nearly as convenient as modern digital.

Putting a monstrous 3 amp with DSP sound system in my car has ruined me.
    See ! I`m not just the only one that hears the difference !
    Wow - would love to hear the story behind the "Putting a monstrous 3 amp with DSP sound system in my car has ruined me" someday..

My 2007 Acura Type-S has a "Surround Sound System in it from the Factory; it`s not too bad but doesn`t have enough horsepower to play the great track by Blood, Sweat, and Tears, Blues Part II with enough volume.. Yeah, needs those 3 amps..
    Dan F
    Likes jrock645, Ronkh liked this post

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post

The problem with subscriptions is that the record label retains control of the music. They can pull a song anytime they want, it has happened to me.
    They can`t do that with a CD or record.
    The devil made me do it the first time.
    The second time I done it on my own.

The only good thing about getting old is no longer having to worry about dying young.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Are you talking about the discs or the players? I honestly don`t recall LP vs. CD pricing, but I do recall the first-gen CD players being about $900-1000, the second-gen being $500-600. I bought at the 3rd-gen when they were $200-300. That was what, 1964?
    I was referring to CD`s in my original post. They were 3-4 bucks more than records. You are correct about the price of players. My first CD player was $700.
    The devil made me do it the first time.
    The second time I done it on my own.

The only good thing about getting old is no longer having to worry about dying young.

Page 160 of 216 FirstFirst ... 60110146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174210 ... LastLast

Thread Information