Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

Kinda serious for a moment- you guys with loud exhausts have no compunctions about disturbing your neighbors? Not just waking people up (who might not be able to fall back asleep), but I have neighbors with *serious* health issues and those folks simply don`t need any disturbances during the time they have left.

Post Thanks / Like

If it was my day off and I was awoken by some loud exhaust, I`d be pissed! I used to live in a neighborhood with a guy who owned a Harley with straight pipes. You could hear him down shift as he hit the residential street 2~3 blocks away and then proceed to rattle every window until he pulled into the garage. Needless to say he was not popular with the neighbors.

I`m a gear head of the highest order, but I don`t understand the latest trend in loud exhausts. I love the low burble or a red-blooded American V8 and even the growl it creates at highway speeds or any other well tuned exhausts with sane volume levels. What I don`t get is the road car exhaust which crackles and pops like a 60`s vintage Le Mans winner or the latest entrant in the WRC...in 30 MPH stop-and-go traffic.

I longed to drop an aftermarket exhaust in several cars until one fateful day I test drove an S4 with an exhaust mod. The exhaust was so loud I had a hard time conversing with the salesman at any speed. The joy of the great soundtrack ended about a block from the dealer lot and simply became an annoyance. I simply couldn`t handle that on my rather short, easy commute, and on a road trip it would drive me insane.
    Likes House of Wax, Stokdgs, Ronkh liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had my share of "louder exhausts", but my idea has always been to open the exhaust at the heads with a good set of tuned headers, bigger diameter exhaust pipes, and then put big flow-through mufflers at the other end so that it would not slow down the exhaust and be louder but not "loudest"..

And this was back in the day when a company called Thrush sold mufflers that came with flanges to bolt right on the end of headers... And even those things were not so loud it was annoying, but it was louder inside since the sound was bouncing off the pavement right back into the interior..

And the sound regulations were not even as strict back then as they are today..

I will be happy to register as a hater of those Harley straight pipe people that love to downshift them all the time in neighborhoods - what a bunch of maroons...
    It`s just too loud... Bet all of them go deaf way earlier in life because of that.. And they are not even fast.. Why bother???

I love my neighbors, wherever I live and try hard to not bother them with excess noise coming out of my garage..

Well, those 2 Ferrari Modena 360`s I detailed were rather loud in stock form... Sorry... Oh yeah, that Ferrari Top Speed, well, that was really loud in stock trim.. Sorry, sorry...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    If it was my day off and I was awoken by some loud exhaust, I`d be pissed! I used to live in a neighborhood with a guy who owned a Harley with straight pipes. You could hear him down shift as he hit the residential street 2~3 blocks away and then proceed to rattle every window until he pulled into the garage. Needless to say he was not popular with the neighbors.

I`m a gear head of the highest order, but I don`t understand the latest trend in loud exhausts. I love the low burble or a red-blooded American V8 and even the growl it creates at highway speeds or any other well tuned exhausts with sane volume levels. What I don`t get is the road car exhaust which crackles and pops like a 60`s vintage Le Mans winner or the latest entrant in the WRC...in 30 MPH stop-and-go traffic.

I longed to drop an aftermarket exhaust in several cars until one fateful day I test drove an S4 with an exhaust mod. The exhaust was so loud I had a hard time conversing with the salesman at any speed. The joy of the great soundtrack ended about a block from the dealer lot and simply became an annoyance. I simply couldn`t handle that on my rather short, easy commute, and on a road trip it would drive me insane.
    DesertNate -
    I totally relate to everything you posted..

Don`t know how old you are ,but when I was a teenager and from then on, the absolute BEST Sound was the slightly erratic idle of a solid lifter, high lift, long duration cammed, high compression engine, with tuned headers, flowing out at the end through those wide, short Corvair mufflers to exhaust pipes that exited straight at the rear bumper.. Oh, wow, absolute Music to my ears !!!
    And the sound at speed was not raspy, loud, popping, all that nutty stuff, it was just right..
    Even back then, decades before "hooning" was a word, ( , we car guys loved our cars but we were still respectful of the neighbors AND the Law..
    I so wish I still had that `69 Camaro SS/RS...
    Dan F
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do I have to clean the inside of my dishwasher? Shouldn`t it be self cleaning?
    The devil made me do it the first time.
    The second time I done it on my own.

The only good thing about getting old is no longer having to worry about dying young.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate
    If it was my day off and I was awoken by some loud exhaust, I`d be pissed!
    Heh heh, my wife and I are retired, so *every* day is our Day Off

When something wakes me up in that manner, I`m AWAKE and I generally don`t get back to sleep for quite a while, if at all. Good when some emergency strikes in the wee hours, not so good *every time they drive/ride those things*. With the considerable distances between our house and our neighbors`, and the woods that`s in-between, when something`s loud enough to be a genuine issue for us, it`s not just "a bit more than stock" can I call "Bull". (But hey, we`re the "unfailingly nice neighbors", very conscious of not being the "[jerks] in *that* house". But it`s not like our dogs make noise that anybody else has to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    DesertNate -I totally relate to everything you posted..
    Yeah, same here.

And hey, I remember Thrush Mufflers They`re what I fitted when Cherry Bombs got to be too much. I always ran full-lenght exhausts though, paranoid about fumes even as a dumb kid.

And I`ll admit that I`m cynical about about the power gains from loud systems. MOST applications I know of seem to do just as well with something quiet (though that`s often pricier), and I`ve yet to meet somebody for whom those extra few hp *really* make any diff at all (talking street cars)...so many variables matter so much more IRL. All just so much bench-racing to me, but hey, guess I`m becoming that Cranky Old Guy.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbread View Post
    Why do I have to clean the inside of my dishwasher? Shouldn`t it be self cleaning?
    True Confession- We`ve never cleaned ours! I`ve quick-wiped a few areas a few times, but simply never had the need to do "what you always have to do with them" even after..what?...17 years or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    DesertNate -
    I totally relate to everything you posted..

Don`t know how old you are ,but when I was a teenager and from then on, the absolute BEST Sound was the slightly erratic idle of a solid lifter, high lift, long duration cammed, high compression engine, with tuned headers, flowing out at the end through those wide, short Corvair mufflers to exhaust pipes that exited straight at the rear bumper.. Oh, wow, absolute Music to my ears !!!
    And the sound at speed was not raspy, loud, popping, all that nutty stuff, it was just right..
    Even back then, decades before "hooning" was a word, ( , we car guys loved our cars but we were still respectful of the neighbors AND the Law..
    I so wish I still had that `69 Camaro SS/RS...
    Dan F
    I`m in my mid 40`s, so I`m a child of the 70`s/80`s. When I was in highschool, guys were tuning 60`s and early 70`s American iron because that was all they could afford. A guy I played soccer with on the school team had a beautiful Pontiac Catalina which sounded exactly as you describe. It was perfect.

When I was stationed in the UK, I was fortunate to work a couple times as a flagger/corner worker at a local road course for a few low-level club races. I clearly remember working on turn 2 for an event attended by all sorts of vintage cars. There were several AC Cobra`s and Mustang`s on the grid that day. Turn 1 was not visible due to a hill but you could hear the American V8`s roar as they came out of that turn and headed our direction long before you could see them. We were again serenaded as they tore through our corner and shot off into the distance. Even the Brit I was working with would pause and get this huge smile each time they passed. None of Jags, Astons, Mercs or other vintage European cars that day could come close. Sadly, there were no Ferrari`s in attendance.
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Uh, it`s YOUR algorithm ya dolts.

Oh no ma’am we don’t do that. It’s our algorithm.”
    Likes Stokdgs, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I`m in my mid 40`s, so I`m a child of the 70`s/80`s. When I was in highschool, guys were tuning 60`s and early 70`s American iron because that was all they could afford. A guy I played soccer with on the school team had a beautiful Pontiac Catalina which sounded exactly as you describe. It was perfect.

When I was stationed in the UK, I was fortunate to work a couple times as a flagger/corner worker at a local road course for a few low-level club races. I clearly remember working on turn 2 for an event attended by all sorts of vintage cars. There were several AC Cobra`s and Mustang`s on the grid that day. Turn 1 was not visible due to a hill but you could hear the American V8`s roar as they came out of that turn and headed our direction long before you could see them. We were again serenaded as they tore through our corner and shot off into the distance. Even the Brit I was working with would pause and get this huge smile each time they passed. None of Jags, Astons, Mercs or other vintage European cars that day could come close. Sadly, there were no Ferrari`s in attendance.
    DesertNate ---

Yes !!! Pretty much all Pontiacs of that era came with very nicely made tuned exhaust pipes that sounded better "stock" than all other similarly sized engines from other marques..

Even as a little kid at my Dad`s Humble Oil/Enco,Exxon gas station, I could hear the differences of sound from Pontiacs compared to all other marques..

And as they came into their being with the first GTO, the GTO powered Tempest, the Catalina, the Bonneville, and then the Trans Ams, wow, those cars really sounded great and ran great..

I remember them all because I saw them all, worked on most of them, and put gas into all of them..

The first Non Pontiac cars that started sounding better "stock" were the bigger engine Corvettes, the Chevelle Malibu, the Novas the Impalas, all loaded with Big Block 396 - 427 bigger cam solid lifter nasty engines...

The best sounding small block I ever had the pleasure of being close to was the 1967-68-69 Camaro Z28`s; these came with special chambered exhaust pipes that sounded really nice with that little 302cid solid lifter, twin holley carbs factory header combo.. 290hp - yeah, just keep thinking that - please - mr insurance company...

I agree with you completely - that Pontiac you heard, and for me ALL Pontiacs with V8`s sounded great right out of the box, no mods even...

What a treat to do what you did in the UK !!!! I would have loved to do that but all the dang USAF airplanes I was in flew over Europe to places that were NOTHING like that heaven you were in..

Closest I ever got to hearing more european sounding ultimate racing cars was at the Next-to-Last Formula-1 race at Indy -- Unbelievable !!!!

These were coming close to the last of the V8 (from V10) ultimate racing engines that put out close to 900 hp or more at 19,000rpm and the sound was definitely going to hurt your ears without good earplugs... Oh wow !! I will never forget that Friday, Sat, and Sunday!!!

The Red Bull F1 Team stayed in the same hotel - there was never a quiet moment - and they were all the nicest bunch of Aussies !!!
    Dan F
    Likes Ronkh, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mi Hermano El Wax-Waster --

Also agree completely..

Have NEVER liked Yelp and hate their intrusion that always acts up on my laptop whenever I click it..
    No surprises they are a bunch of idiots that have gone past just being kind geeks with computer brainiacs built in to their heads...
    Never depend on their crapola to be accurate and even more so after reading your link..
    Thanks for this !
    Dan F
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty good advice for a young Nelson Mandela. Not so great advice for a young John Wayne Gacy.
    Which is why shallow little motivational platitudes mean nothing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The devil made me do it the first time.
    The second time I done it on my own.

The only good thing about getting old is no longer having to worry about dying young.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbread View Post
    Pretty good advice for a young Nelson Mandela. Not so great advice for a young John Wayne Gacy.
    Which is why shallow little motivational platitudes mean nothing.
    So very true! Never been a fan of the one-liners overall, though I do really like one attributed to Teddy Roosevelt.

Instead I prefer to go this route: https://despair.com/

With my favorite being this one: https://despair.com/collections/post...ducts/mistakes

Post Thanks / Like

Antetokounmpo fills rookie`s car with popcorn...

filled his entire car with popcorn.. ouch!
    so much for that new car smell

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=G...corn&FORM=EWRE

Brandt K.

Page 155 of 216 FirstFirst ... 55105141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169205 ... LastLast

Thread Information