Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

Other than hauling stuff that won`t fit in something else, what`s the appeal of a pickup truck? Not looking to pick a fight, just genuinely curious. And sure, "I like how they look" is an OK answer IMO (a Boxster owner I know said he "just always wanted a pickup" and now he has one. OK..). And yeah, I`ve driven `em and do understand that some of today`s are a lot different from the old-school ones

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t mean to be derogatory here and I mean no offense with these comments. I suspect it’s one of those situations where just like many other things in life, I think it comes down to the old adage of, If you have to ask you probably wouldn’t get it anyway. As an example, I for one appreciate the work that goes into almost any vehicle but one of those instances for me is the Rat Rod. I know much effort goes into creating one but I just don’t get why anyone would want one let alone waste the time to build it. That said, people just love these things. Flat finishes on vehicles is another one for me.

One thing I like about a truck is sitting above the traffic, still can’t see through a mini van with tinted windows but I like the vantage point none the less. Now days trucks offer just about any creature comfort available in even the most luxurious cars and have quite a few benefits not offered by many cars (i.e. Hill Decent Control, auto trailer hook up, throwing 6, 5 gallon jugs of fuel in the bed, wrapping a tow strap around the hitch and pulling a peach tree stump, towing capacity, etc.). The tree and hauling fuel are things I’ve used my truck for recently. I’d never use a car for either of those and though a car may haul the fuel, the chances of something going bad and ending up with spilt fuel inside a car would stop me everytime. With many trucks now putting down close to 400 HP and beyond, short of going to a track with twisties they don’t give up much and have other advantages to boot. This doesn’t even bring into consideration that trucks/Sport Utes can simply go places you wouldn’t take a car. It’s simply a matter of what you’re willing to trade off.

Oh yeah, I like the way they look too.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Other than hauling stuff that won`t fit in something else, what`s the appeal of a pickup truck? Not looking to pick a fight, just genuinely curious. And sure, "I like how they look" is an OK answer IMO (a Boxster owner I know said he "just always wanted a pickup" and now he has one. OK..). And yeah, I`ve driven `em and do understand that some of today`s are a lot different from the old-school ones
    For me -

1. It has a real frame

2. It has real 4x4 (it snows here).

3. You can haul stuff

4. Only compromise is fuel - but who cares? We are in America & gas is cheap.
    Likes GearHead_1, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I fell like I need a truck. I use it for picking up large parts for our trucks at work and also for going on the road fixing covers on dumpsters and for delivering totters. Personally I use it to tow my Bass boat most weekends and during the winter I plow my house my dads house and I use it at work to push the snow away from stuff for the loader. Also Like the ground clearance and 4X4 for the winter as I have to plow and also need to get to work no mater what the weather is and I leave the house a lot of mornings before the roads are ready and there can be deep snow in the road and lots deep windrows at intersections and entrances and the extra height means getting through with our breaking anything or ripping of an air dam.
    i understand the question though I see a lot trucks with pristine beds and a trailer hitch that looks totally unused. I will say though one of the most aggravating things in the world is listening to a acquaintance tell you how they dont need a pick up and love driving there toy car every day, only to ask you if they can borrow your truck every few months to move or pick up something.
    Likes Tc99m, Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    i will say though one of the most aggravating things in the world is listening to a acquaintance tell you how they dont need a pick up and love driving there toy car every day, only to ask you if they can borrow your truck every few months to move or pick up something.
    amen!
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post
    Thanks trashmanssd thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Used to have a truck - gas got too expensive driving from Houston to College Station everyday for class then back for work.

Got the Hyundai Elantra now - super cheap to run but I miss my truck. I run across a scenario at least a few times a week where a truck would have made my life 10x easier.

One day....

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, thanks to those who responded to my "?why at truck?". And yeah, I too appreciate the diff between 4WD and AWD, the value of adequate ground clearance, and also body-on-frame construction ("Why do you want a 4WD when you have Quattros?"..and.. "Why do you want a Crown Vic when you have Audi sedans and why don`t you lower it?"). I do note that many of those reasons are a lot more functional than the reasons I hear from people IRL.

And even now that I do have the Tahoe I can easily imagine renting a, uhm...serious truck... for an afternoon under some circumstances, same as I`d rent a Bobcat.

GearHead_1- Similar to your take on RatRods, I subscribe to, and genuinely pore over, The Rodder`s Journal even though I have zero interest in building/owning/driving the kinds of vehicles they feature. The engineering/etc. that people put into `em just DOES IT for me.

Post Thanks / Like

when you wear your heart on your sleeve, it`s bound to take some hits...if only I could 9h it

better luck next time I guess

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

horsepower
    therapy
    oh
    yes
    $10 to the Gods...
    a small sacrifice for freedom

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh, ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    when you wear your heart on your sleeve, it`s bound to take some hits...if only I could 9h it

Well crap. Sorry man.
    Thanks 512detail thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that Brandt - jump in your car and hit the pedal on the right and remember what makes you happy.
    Reflective Impressions
    www.instagram.com/reflectiveimpressions
    Authorized Feynlab Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShakingHorizons View Post
    Sorry to hear that Brandt - jump in your car and hit the pedal on the right and remember what makes you happy.
    oh I found that road in Mexico again last night for sure

Brandt K.
    Likes ShakingHorizons, nickclark08, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I echo the others. Sorry man.

Post Thanks / Like

512Detail- Huh? What? I`m lost here somehow...?!? What`re you talking about that others understand and offer consolation over?
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think Brandt is looking for a new girlfriend.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Page 146 of 216 FirstFirst ... 4696132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160196 ... LastLast

Thread Information