Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

My random thought for the day:
    "Professional" detailers who work in car dealerships, used car lots, or "quantity" detail shops that do contract/outsourced work for dealerships do NOT get any respect or appreciation within this forum for the services they provide.
    OK, I rag on them myself because their "workmanship" (hence, the quotations as "professionals") is less than Autopian-quality standards. BUT they do have to work with the time allotted to them and the equipment and car-care products and chemicals provided to them and their training and methodologies and techniques are usually self-taught or by a less-than-qualified supervisor or department manager. Let`s face it: at these places time is money.
    My hats off to those of you who do work at such places and do the best you can with what you have. It`s not an easy job or profession.
    I will get my "dig" in, though, because I know some of you as truly professional detailers or capable hobbyists make good money correcting and fixing less-than-acceptable vehicle details for discriminating (very picky, like myself) owners done by some dealership or car lot "detailers" and I (and some of you Autopians reading this) have referred to them as "hacks". That`s probably unjustified and totally wrong on my part, simply for the reasons mentioned above, and if I had to do their job with the bosses, time, equipment, and car-care products provide them I ask myself, "Could I have done a better job?" Probably not. Sometimes you need to be considerate of the situation yourself before you apply the label. My apology for doing so to some of you .
    (I will say "some" because there ARE hacks out there, but then that`s oxymoronic and self-deprecating to this whole post, now isn`t it. If you need to look up the meaning to those words, do so. You`ll understand, then ,why I used them. Just sayin`...)
    GB detailer
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

they`re giving away a little blue Porsche today on the last day of dream cars on The Price Is Right! I wonder if sizzle chest is in the crowd

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    My random thought for the day:
    "Professional" detailers who work in car dealerships, used car lots, or "quantity" detail shops that do contract/outsourced work for dealerships do NOT get any respect or appreciation within this forum for the services they provide....
    Noting that I`m one of those "every new vehicle is in the wrapper or I don`t take it" guys, and that I`ve refused delivery of new vehicles over *VERY* minor cosmetic issues that could be corrected (at the cost of clearcoat thickness)....

I agree with you and commend you for posting that.

When I was (just a teenage kid) working in New Car Prep I certainly was NOT a hack by any standards. When the dealership didn`t have the right stuff, I brought in my own, which I paid for myself. When there "wasn`t time" I worked through lunch or came in early/stayed late. There was a similar guy at my Audi dealer, who was so good that I not only I let them do my father`s car, but, seeing that it turned out OK, I even let him do my S8 when it got in (again, turned out fine, but then he went on to Grad School and it was back to hack-city).

OTOH, having seen their work, I`d *NEVER* let the local "Pro Detailers" touch any of my vehicles if I had any other option.

There are great/lousy guys in every profession.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    they`re giving away a little blue Porsche today on the last day of dream cars on The Price Is Right! I wonder if sizzle chest is in the crowd
    he may have polished it for the show.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

last night I bought Gran Turismo Sport (for ps4)....these driving tests are hard! It`s difficult to go from my normal arcade style racing games to this simulation style.

The graphics are INSANE and I don`t even have a great tv.

Brandt K.
    Likes Strong66 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I want to party with this guy!

Post Thanks / Like

so...my mom is in town visiting...just a minute ago she asks me "do you have a night light?"

oh how the tides have turned, hahaha

Brandt K.
    Likes Nizmo, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well it was an interesting Friday for me. Left Scranton, PA around 9:30am, which only takes about 2.5 hours to get to the shop. Major incident close to home on the interstate (Link) so we decided to detour about 10 miles North of the incident. Obviously everybody else had the same idea and the closer we got to town traffic was snarled. Decided to cut through and go the back way. About a mile later I hear a loud hissing noise. Crap, I knew what it was. Seconds later the TPMS light came on and luckily I got to a church parking lot. Lo and behold...

Ironically I just passed the boss`s house (he was at the shop though) so a phone call to him and the cavalry arrived, lol. No surprise the spare was almost flat. Nobody believe me when I say to check the air in the spare once a year. The truck was taken over the Cat scales about a month ago and it was just a little over 12K, so not fun jacking that thing up. They were taking the truck to New Jersey, so we got the spare on and I put all our stuff in another truck and headed back, let them deal with that. Needless to say I didn`t get home till 2:45. Shoulda been home at 1...
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

171014_0001.jpg

Want one...
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes GearHead_1, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Random thoughts thread-171014_0001.jpg

Want one...
    Bet you`ll have one.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Uh oh PA is getting the new car bug!

Post Thanks / Like

Even after 5 years and 63,000 miles, I still have a bond and respect for my Xterra. The new Colorado ZR2 is quite the truck. Finally got to see one last weekend. Bit of a unicorn and hard to find. If I had 46K going nowhere, I probably would be all over it. LOL.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

You got better control than I do, I seem to go through cars like underwear. It`s a really bad habit.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool truck but al the ones I see are 50K and I am guessing no mark downs on those. I`d rather a full size V8 for that kinda cash.

Page 145 of 216 FirstFirst ... 4595131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159195 ... LastLast

Thread Information