Page 145 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4595131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145
Results 2,161 to 2,165 of 2165

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random thoughts thread

My random thought for the day:
    "Professional" detailers who work in car dealerships, used car lots, or "quantity" detail shops that do contract/outsourced work for dealerships do NOT get any respect or appreciation within this forum for the services they provide.
    OK, I rag on them myself because their "workmanship" (hence, the quotations as "professionals") is less than Autopian-quality standards. BUT they do have to work with the time allotted to them and the equipment and car-care products and chemicals provided to them and their training and methodologies and techniques are usually self-taught or by a less-than-qualified supervisor or department manager. Let`s face it: at these places time is money.
    My hats off to those of you who do work at such places and do the best you can with what you have. It`s not an easy job or profession.
    I will get my "dig" in, though, because I know some of you as truly professional detailers or capable hobbyists make good money correcting and fixing less-than-acceptable vehicle details for discriminating (very picky, like myself) owners done by some dealership or car lot "detailers" and I (and some of you Autopians reading this) have referred to them as "hacks". That`s probably unjustified and totally wrong on my part, simply for the reasons mentioned above, and if I had to do their job with the bosses, time, equipment, and car-care products provide them I ask myself, "Could I have done a better job?" Probably not. Sometimes you need to be considerate of the situation yourself before you apply the label. My apology for doing so to some of you .
    (I will say "some" because there ARE hacks out there, but then that`s oxymoronic and self-deprecating to this whole post, now isn`t it. If you need to look up the meaning to those words, do so. You`ll understand, then ,why I used them. Just sayin`...)
    GB detailer
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

they`re giving away a little blue Porsche today on the last day of dream cars on The Price Is Right! I wonder if sizzle chest is in the crowd

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    My random thought for the day:
    "Professional" detailers who work in car dealerships, used car lots, or "quantity" detail shops that do contract/outsourced work for dealerships do NOT get any respect or appreciation within this forum for the services they provide....
    Noting that I`m one of those "every new vehicle is in the wrapper or I don`t take it" guys, and that I`ve refused delivery of new vehicles over *VERY* minor cosmetic issues that could be corrected (at the cost of clearcoat thickness)....

I agree with you and commend you for posting that.

When I was (just a teenage kid) working in New Car Prep I certainly was NOT a hack by any standards. When the dealership didn`t have the right stuff, I brought in my own, which I paid for myself. When there "wasn`t time" I worked through lunch or came in early/stayed late. There was a similar guy at my Audi dealer, who was so good that I not only I let them do my father`s car, but, seeing that it turned out OK, I even let him do my S8 when it got in (again, turned out fine, but then he went on to Grad School and it was back to hack-city).

OTOH, having seen their work, I`d *NEVER* let the local "Pro Detailers" touch any of my vehicles if I had any other option.

There are great/lousy guys in every profession.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    they`re giving away a little blue Porsche today on the last day of dream cars on The Price Is Right! I wonder if sizzle chest is in the crowd
    he may have polished it for the show.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

last night I bought Gran Turismo Sport (for ps4)....these driving tests are hard! It`s difficult to go from my normal arcade style racing games to this simulation style.

The graphics are INSANE and I don`t even have a great tv.

Brandt K.

Page 145 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4595131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145

Thread Information