Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ready for the range

.22`s are the most fun by far IMHO. I`ve been wanting an MP5 to plink with for a while now. My favorite range toy is my M&P .22 (full frame pistol)

Post Thanks / Like

How reliable have you found the M&P 22 to be? My wife has never fired a gun before, so I`ve been thinking about picking her up a .22 to start on and get used to firing

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- If you like the trigger reach on that Sig then you`re hand`s probably bigger than mine. Though I know a little gal who doesn`t have any trouble with her 226 so who knows

Yikes, I despise those Colt troopers (had a MKIII for a while), even leaving Magnum loads out of the discussion. Even with the Python I just never liked Colt`s DA triggers. Single action is generally OK (and it`s downright *great* with Pythons and the old Shooting Masters), but that`s not my thing.

Can you detect a theme here?!? Guess I`m just really picky about how triggers feel...("A poor craftsman blames his tools" comes to mind! )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    How reliable have you found the M&P 22 to be? My wife has never fired a gun before, so I`ve been thinking about picking her up a .22 to start on and get used to firing
    It is super reliable - I have had absolutely no issues with it and I`m sure I have at least 5k rounds down the pipe. I really like the M&P platform, so it is a great training tool. It is also super soft for beginners. I got it when they first came out and it quickly became the one I shoot far more than any other one gun at the range. I am considering getting a compact since I carry a compact.

BTW - +1 for kudos on the Strikefire. I have one on a homebuilt and it works well for my old eye. Great value!

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- noting that we could take this thread off in all sorts of directions (gee, get some gun-guys talking...), it`s tough to say what`ll work for a woman`s/child`s intro to handguns. Accumulatorette started with really light loads in a big heavy (S&W) revolver and promptly switched to a .45 Colt Govt. model. The recoil/muzzle blast somehow doesn`t bother her *at all* (makes me envious some times) even though the muzzle-flip slows her down a bit.

But yeah, a full-size auto in .22 would be great. And a *REALLY* good instructor with a lot of experience under his belt (IMO good instructors are rarer than marring-free Jet Black BMWs).

If she`s not gonna really put much time/interest into it I`d lean towards the Ruger revolver with their, oh what do they call it..."light DA trigger" or somesuch. I *think* it`s called the LCR but I`m out-of-date on this stuff. Women seem to love those things and they`re a whole `nother ballgame compared to the Colt/S&W DAs that guys tend to buy for them (which a lot of women seem to *hate* shooting with predictable results).

Aw man, we haven`t done any shooting since forever..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    House of Wax- If you like the trigger reach on that Sig then you`re hand`s probably bigger than mine. Though I know a little gal who doesn`t have any trouble with her 226 so who knows

Yikes, I despise those Colt troopers (had a MKIII for a while), even leaving Magnum loads out of the discussion. Even with the Python I just never liked Colt`s DA triggers. Single action is generally OK (and it`s downright *great* with Pythons and the old Shooting Masters), but that`s not my thing.

Can you detect a theme here?!? Guess I`m just really picky about how triggers feel...("A poor craftsman blames his tools" comes to mind! )
    Gotcha. It does come with 2 different size back straps, and I do have the larger one on....maybe I do have bigger hands lol.

Post Thanks / Like

AustinZ- Welcome to Autopia! As you can see we discuss a whole lot of stuff besides detailing cars

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- noting that we could take this thread off in all sorts of directions (gee, get some gun-guys talking...), it`s tough to say what`ll work for a woman`s/child`s intro to handguns. Accumulatorette started with really light loads in a big heavy (S&W) revolver and promptly switched to a .45 Colt Govt. model. The recoil/muzzle blast somehow doesn`t bother her *at all* (makes me envious some times) even though the muzzle-flip slows her down a bit.

But yeah, a full-size auto in .22 would be great. And a *REALLY* good instructor with a lot of experience under his belt (IMO good instructors are rarer than marring-free Jet Black BMWs).

If she`s not gonna really put much time/interest into it I`d lean towards the Ruger revolver with their, oh what do they call it..."light DA trigger" or somesuch. I *think* it`s called the LCR but I`m out-of-date on this stuff. Women seem to love those things and they`re a whole `nother ballgame compared to the Colt/S&W DAs that guys tend to buy for them (which a lot of women seem to *hate* shooting with predictable results).

Aw man, we haven`t done any shooting since forever..
    Discussion is free to go anywhere, that`s why I started the thread.

I`ve always wanted a full frame .22 (have had my eye on the m&p too) for myself anyway (especially if .22 rounds ever become widely available again). Figured that would be a good way to get her used to the operation of a pistol without having to worry about any recoil. Once she gets comfortable with thay she can move up to my 9mm and then we can work on a CC piece.

That`s awesome your wife was able to jump right to a .45. Impressive. I have many times heard that a woman`s focus can often times make them great shooters

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- IME as long as women don`t buy into, uhm...the usual stereotypes..they outperform men in a whole lotta "guy-skills", e.g., shooting and driving (best tactical driver I know is a women).

I have a .22 conversion unit for my Govt. Model and yeah, it`s a *LOT* of fun.

That "get her used to the operation..." thing is important IMO. Simple is good.

And I`m glad to hear you`re thinking "CC piece *LAST*" as too many people think women oughta start with something that`s small (and thus hard to shoot well). A guy I know wouldn`t listen...bought his girlfriend a (nice) S&W Bodyguard revolver (can`t remember what the model number is..I`m too old school) and I simply *KNOW* how that`s gonna turn out
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustinZ View Post

BTW - +1 for kudos on the Strikefire. I have one on a homebuilt and it works well for my old eye. Great value!
    Interestingly you mentioned StrikeFire and old eyes. I actually learned something about myself with this combination. I have a couple of StrikeFires, upon mounting one, I assumed it was defective as I wasn`t seeing a clear red dot but what I had was rather a lazy 8. I called Vortex to discuss getting this fixed. The rep asked me if the lazy 8 followed the optic as I rotated it or weather the 8 stayed in the same place. Come to find out the issue is my eyes. Apparently I have astigmatism and didn`t know it until I got the StrikeFire.

I`ve been looking for a new optic this past week. I have a .50 BMG that has sat in the vault for almost 10 years. I`ve never fired it as I haven`t taken the time to get a good scope for it. I do have significant trigger time behind identical rifles. I have a Millet that would work on it but the rifle deserves better. I`ve finally decided to make it operational and am trying to narrow it down. Unfortuanately things haven`t changed much since the time I bought it. Good glass costs money.

I`d be interested in comments from those that have a nice scope on a .50 BMG. I`ve been looking at Leupold 4`s, US Optics, NightForce and another Millet that they actually warranty for .338 Lapua`s and .50 BMG`s. My other Millet is a lot of scope for the money but the glass isn`t as nice as NightForce or Swarovsky. Let me know what you have.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

And I`m glad to hear you`re thinking "CC piece *LAST*" as too many people think women oughta start with something that`s small (and thus hard to shoot well). A guy I know wouldn`t listen...bought his girlfriend a (nice) S&W Bodyguard revolver (can`t remember what the model number is..I`m too old school) and I simply *KNOW* how that`s gonna turn out
    Yessir. I haven`t even purchased a cc piece for myself yet. Looking to get my training and license soon here and would like to actually continue with some additional defense courses after.

The times and people seem to be getting more and more sketchy by the day. We just had a crew of 4 pull off 13 armed robberies in the span of 4 hours yesterday afternoon in a crap hole city about 20 minutes from where we live. Needless to say my wife`s interest has perked up significantly

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- And, heh heh..this about the point where I usually segue into my usual rant about the need for Adrenal Stress Conditioning My wife and I both put it right up there with Life`s Most Important Experiences.

Guess that means it`s time for me to sign off for the day and go clear some snow

Post Thanks / Like

AustinZ- Welcome to Autopia! As you can see we discuss a whole lot of stuff besides detailing cars
    Thanks! I need to do an intro post over here, as I haven`t posted before but I have been lurking for many years. Good stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    We got any other enthusiasts here? Would love to see/hear what everyone else is shooting
    I would like to know too. I am thinking of a new hobby. This might be something I would like to try. A .22 pistol is a thought to start out ? I only have used air guns for the most part. There are a few ranges in the area, which are busy.
    Likes RaysWay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Even with the Python I just never liked Colt`s DA triggers. Single action is generally OK (and it`s downright *great* with Pythons and the old Shooting Masters), but that`s not my thing.
    That`s an interesting perspective. There is no offense intended and I`m not questioning what you have obviously felt with this comment. That said, of the big 3 US/formerly US revolver manufacturers (S&W, Ruger, Colt), most revolver aficionados typically consider the Python to be the standard by which to judge other revolver triggers. Furthermore, it`s usually the case whether shooting SA or DA. I do some really nice work on S&W triggers, pretty good with Rugers as well, if I do say so myself (stopping to pat myself on the back). I can definitely exceed that standard when working with a S&W but in all honesty they just don`t compare as delivered. S&W`s generally feel better out of the box than Rugers in my experience. I have seen some truly fine triggers as shipped from Dan Wesson. I`m wondering which revolver trigger you like?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information