Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ready for the range

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Question for the AR builders....

Don`t quite have the coin for a full rifle at the moment, but thinking about at least picking a complete lower. Anybody got any suggestions for a good "budget" complete lower to look into, or maybe more important, ones to avoid?
    I could go on for ages about AR parts. However, there are so many brands that it could take weeks/months/years to get a fully comprehensive list of the good, the bad, and the ugly here.

Here is my recommendation/s.

1. What material do you want your lower made from? Aluminum, steel, poly, carbon-fiber, titanium, etc.? If you choose the common aluminum you have to decide between cast (the cheapest), milled, or forged. If you choose poly, carefully research what`s available (and avoid Tennessee Arms).
    2. What type of rifle are you looking for? Hunting? Target/fun? Competition (doubtful since competition and budget are two words that don`t mesh well)?
    3. Since we`re going with budget, that takes a side-charger out of the picture. Do you want an ejection port cover or no? Forward assist?
    4. Classic AR-15 styling or something different?
    5. Fixed stock or collapsible?
    6. What type of grip would you like? I`m not even going to try to list the different styles/choices available here.

That should cover most of it. Honestly, based off of my personal experience, wait until you have the money for the whole thing. However, if you are determined that you will finish it I will follow that with another recommendation and an explanation for that.

I always recommend one of two paths for new AR-15 buyers. Path one: Find a complete AR that you like - better yet - that you love and buy it. It definitely takes a higher initial investment but will give you something that you can, and will, have fun with and hopefully keep the "change" bug at bay until you can get a better grasp of what you like. Path two: Do excessive amounts of research and build it from the ground up. Assembling a lower isn`t too difficult (I`d actually say it`s pretty easy) and, if you`d really like you can even purchase lower kits which would allow you to find a lower and stock that you like.

A few brands that I feel I can recommend without any worry (though price may be quite a bit too high on a few.)
    - Lewis Machine & Tool
    - Daniel Defense
    - Spikes Tactical
    - DS Arms
    - DPMS
    - Bushmaster

Really, the list could go forever. However, all but the first three (which is in no particular order - except LMT, I want one) have pretty budget friendly options.

Hope that helps some. If not, enjoy the babble.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the response. Purpose for the rifle would be just a fun target/range rifle and to get familiar with the platform. I have no intentions of this being my only AR.

Post Thanks / Like

Question for the AR builders....

Don`t quite have the coin for a full rifle at the moment, but thinking about at least picking a complete lower. Anybody got any suggestions for a good "budget" complete lower to look into, or maybe more important, ones to avoid?
    Yes, in all seriousness, put your own together. Buy the lower (that`s the registered piece) and put the pieces you want on it. The cartouche on the side of the lower is less important than many assume. Make sure you pick up a mil-spec lower at a good price and end up with what you want once it`s put together. If you can put a model car together you can build a complete lower.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes mnehls86, House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    If you can put a model car together you can build a complete lower.
    Agreed. If I can do it, anyone can. Of course video`s and write-ups made it very simple.
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mnehls86 View Post
    Agreed. If I can do it, anyone can. Of course video`s and write-ups made it very simple.
    It`s true, I`m not telling anyone they`ll save money if they are just building a run of the mill OE style lower. How many people buy a gun and want a different stock, a different trigger group, a different trigger guard, a different barrel or flash suppressor? How about a different forearm and palm grip, these are very commonly replaced parts. Why pay for these parts twice? All you end up with is a bunch of undesirable parts that you`ve paid for and then replaced. This is where building it yourself makes all the sense in the world. I like a certain trigger or do my own trigger job. I like a particular stock and bolt carrier group. I`m only buying the parts one time.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing that. So true, I always laugh when I hear we need more gun laws after mass shootings. As if shooting people and murder aren`t already a crime....

Post Thanks / Like

Guess this guy picked the wrong house. Glad to see the LEO stick up for the family`s right to defend themselves and their home:

Family becomes firing squad as intruder is shot by almost every member of the household
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes mnehls86 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, in all seriousness, put your own together. Buy the lower (that`s the registered piece) and put the pieces you want on it. The cartouche on the side of the lower is less important than many assume. Make sure you pick up a mil-spec lower at a good price and end up with what you want once it`s put together. If you can put a model car together you can build a complete lower.
    I am on the other side of this coin. My first AR was store bought, my second was won in a raffle (Yay me!) my third was a build. It started at a cheaper cost but eventually got up there with add-ons.

Now I own 3 Daniel Defense and a PWS .308 with 20 inch barrel. I can`t say enough about the DD`s, they are so finely tuned and put together that I may never do another build. Sure, they are in no way cheap, each gun over $1,200 but to me so worth it. The SBR MK18 is my dream rifle but now that I have it....I`m needing something else!!
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony O. View Post
    I am on the other side of this coin. My first AR was store bought, my second was won in a raffle (Yay me!) my third was a build. It started at a cheaper cost but eventually got up there with add-ons.

Now I own 3 Daniel Defense and a PWS .308 with 20 inch barrel. I can`t say enough about the DD`s, they are so finely tuned and put together that I may never do another build. Sure, they are in no way cheap, each gun over $1,200 but to me so worth it. The SBR MK18 is my dream rifle but now that I have it....I`m needing something else!!
    Its crazy what an addiction it turns into. Bought my AR in april, after upgrades I have about 1500 into it with no optics yet. Now im itching for an FN17S in the future, just because theyre so BA.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally made my way to a gun shop I`ve been wanting to get to for awhile now.....I`m really glad it`s as far away as it is, or I`d be going broke. Place was awesome. They had an enormous selection and everything is just out in the open on walls and tables to play with.

Went with the goal of settling on a carry piece. All but certain it`s gonna be a 9mm Shield. There`s a nice little shop only 5 minutes from my house that I would love to support (took my CC class through him), but damn...
    he`s like $90 higher on the same gun
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot this thread existed. Recently finished my AR build last fall; love it. Used runner runner guns billet lower and used their upper as well. ALG defense upgraded trigger, and a "cheap" vortex strike eagle 1-6x24 to finish it off. Running out of "play money" hehe.

I`ll see if I can find some pics of the tools of my other hobby. Have a PX4 Storm full size and a Nano (both in 9mm) as well.

Nice to see y`all shoot too! Guess we are in the "super clean" firearm spectrum too? Haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally made my way to a gun shop I`ve been wanting to get to for awhile now.....I`m really glad it`s as far away as it is, or I`d be going broke. Place was awesome. They had an enormous selection and everything is just out in the open on walls and tables to play with.

Went with the goal of settling on a carry piece. All but certain it`s gonna be a 9mm Shield. There`s a nice little shop only 5 minutes from my house that I would love to support (took my CC class through him), but damn...
    he`s like $90 higher on the same gun
    Make sure and shoot it first. I hate the trigger on my shield .40. Would sell it but have too much into now with the night sights, and a trigger upgrade is about $160 which is way more than I wanna spend.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t own one but saw a show the other night on the new Gen 2 Shield. They apparently put much time into redesigning the trigger. Jerry Miculec claims it`s now the best trigger available on a composite pistol. I`m a Glock guy but with that said, every one of mine has an aftermarket metal trigger in it. Watching that show got me thinking about trying a Shield.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

.. I`m a Glock guy but with that said, every one of mine has an aftermarket metal trigger in it..
    Care to expand on that?

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread Information