Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ready for the range

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    The gas system on a non-piston style AR introduces a lot of garbage into the bolt carrier, bolt carrier group, hammer and trigger, basically everything inside the receivers. These are dirty guns and dirt is the primary reason one would act finicky. This fact is enhanced becasue the tolerances are tighter on one of these firearms than a gun like an AK or SKS (typical high cap rifles you`ll find at the range). You can bury an AK in sand pull it out and go shoot it, chances are it won`t miss a beat. An AR might balk but not necessarily. The tighter tolerances of the AR along with factory production standards are the things that make an AR the more accurate gun than many when it comes to a semi-auto black rifles. I have a bunch of FNC`s FAL`s, AK`s and SKS`s they won`t shoot with an AR.

This all said, if you`re willing to do a reasonable amount of maintenance it isn`t difficult to get an AR to run like a swiss watch. Most can easily shoot 1"-2" groups at 150 yards given a reasonably good shooter with the eyes to go along with it. My experience has shown time and again an AK won`t shoot the kind of groups an AR will. AR`s are just about as simple to break down and field strip as any out there, the entire break down isn`t much more difficult. Run a bore snake through it after a hundred rounds and clean the bolt carrier group and it will be ready to rock and roll for a long time. Now if this talk of dirt in the receiver bothers you and you still want an AR, you might consider a piston driven AR, I have one it is very clean and gives up only a little when it comes to overall accuracy. There are more parts to maintain however.
    They are dirty but the biggest problem I`ve seen is people coating everything in oil. You might be able to get away with that on some firearms but not a gas driven AR. The oil collects the carbon and that`s what seriously gums everything up.

I also tend to disagree with the more maintenance as well. In my experience, they`re pretty forgiving as long as you aren`t abusing it and/or shooting it when it`s wet with oil. Everyone has had their own experiences though so I want to make it clear that I am not trying to say that you`re wrong. Just trying to add my $0.02 and show that it really is a situation where your experience may vary. For what it`s worth, the AR`s I`ve sent thousands of rounds through were military M16/M4`s and the chrome lined barrel and chamber may have an effect on that.

Now, I definitely agree on piston driven. They are a much cleaner set up and I just hate dealing with gas tubes.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    They are dirty but the biggest problem I`ve seen is people coating everything in oil. You might be able to get away with that on some firearms but not a gas driven AR. The oil collects the carbon and that`s what seriously gums everything up.
    But then ya don`t worry about rust.........
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    But then ya don`t worry about rust.........
    I don`t think aluminum rusts.

Yes, I k ow, it`s not all aluminum. I couldn`t resist though.

“Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think aluminum rusts.

Yes, I k ow, it`s not all aluminum. I couldn`t resist though.

We`ll see in a few years with all the new ford trucks
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ready for the range Dumbest idea ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Ready for the range Dumbest idea ever.

insurance cos agree

Post Thanks / Like

...I also tend to disagree with the more maintenance as well. In my experience, they`re pretty forgiving as long as you aren`t abusing it and/or shooting it when it`s wet with oil. Everyone has had their own experiences though so I want to make it clear that I am not trying to say that you`re wrong. Just trying to add my $0.02 and show that it really is a situation where your experience may vary. For what it`s worth, the AR`s I`ve sent thousands of rounds through were military M16/M4`s and the chrome lined barrel and chamber may have an effect on that.

Now, I definitely agree on piston driven. They are a much cleaner set up and I just hate dealing with gas tubes.

I only suggested a reasonable amount of maintenance. A bore snake through the barrel and wiping down the bolt carrier down (particularly if it`s a Hard Chrome, Nitrided, Boron, Titanium Coated or whatever coated) carrier is all I`d recommend. These type of carriers will wipe clean with a rag and definitely worth a look if you`re building your own. If you consider that excessive or "more" so be it. I consider it just keeping an eye on things.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post with respect to an AR being finicky is if you happen to get one that is under gassed (caused by a variety of reasons) they can have problems cycling. This may very well be the type of problem Accumulator mentioned becasue they can be frustrating. These type problems can be "dialed in" with a change in springs, buffers, even cleaning up the hole in the site post and shouldn`t be considered a problem that can`t be solved. Most over the counter rifles are if anything over gassed and can be cut back a bit with a regulator or a heavier spring or buffer. The manufacturers tend to error on this side simply because the gun will cycle and most shooters won`t complain. They`ll definitely complain if it won`t load the next round. I`ve seen over gassed guns cause bolt carrier bounce and show symptoms like a rifle that is under gassed but for the wrong reason. Over gassed guns were a problem earlier on becasue there weren`t a lot of remedies available and what the heck do you do if the gas port in the barrel is oversized. These problems are now all very curable. I like to tune my rifles so that they consistently drop brass close to me and have a smooth recoil pulse and don`t have what I consider to be that annoying cha-ching sproingy spring sound. I know, some of you love that but not me.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I only suggested a reasonable amount of maintenance. A bore snake through the barrel and wiping down the bolt carrier down (particularly if it`s a Hard Chrome, Nitrided, Boron, Titanium Coated or whatever coated) carrier is all I`d recommend. These type of carriers will wipe clean with a rag and definitely worth a look if you`re building your own. If you consider that excessive or "more" so be it. I consider it just keeping an eye on things.
    100% agree. I was not trying to degrade your post at all, I was just saying what, IME, is a major factor with people that say they`re unreliable. Also, wasn`t trying to say you do it wrong or however else it may be taken. From the posts I`ve seen here I definitely can respect your opinion and, even if I didn`t, I doubt I`d try to call you out in a thread.

Post Thanks / Like

My GA weapons permit came in the mail today! Ordering the S&W prob next week.
    Likes Ronkh, House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

100% agree. I was not trying to degrade your post at all, I was just saying what, IME, is a major factor with people that say they`re unreliable. Also, wasn`t trying to say you do it wrong or however else it may be taken. From the posts I`ve seen here I definitely can respect your opinion and, even if I didn`t, I doubt I`d try to call you out in a thread.
    You`re way good, didn`t feel called out all. Just thought I`d clarify what I was saying. I don`t think these guns are high maintenance.

They started life on a rocky road (pre chrome chamber days) and had their share of problems to get where they are today. These guns aren`t that finicky (no offense intended Accumulator). They`ve come a long way since Vietnam but if you consider the sheer number of these in the world today it stands to reason that if they didn`t shoot, people wouldn`t be buying them. Short of the Colt .45 I don`t know of a firearm platform that has more companies building parts for it. This platform is a real shooter and can be quite accurate as far as a semi auto goes.

The routine I suggested is the same I do with any rifle (even AK`s) after a day at the range. It is fair to say that I never pull a firearm out of the vault and ask myself is this gun ready to go shoot? If that`s more than most shooters think is needed, I`m okay with that.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I think that`s great. You might even owe yourself a 2 firearm reward.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think that`s great. You might even owe yourself a 2 firearm reward.
    Lol I can`t quite afford 2 right now

Post Thanks / Like

Lol I can`t quite afford 2 right now
    Probably could start a Go-Fund-Me account. I see people getting money for causes much less worthy than this. Better yet, you could probably just hit up Uncle Ron. Ha!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah this post doesn`t really belong here but since we`re talking about those dang aluminum trucks. I saw this today.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Congrats
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread Information