Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

OT - Anyone sharpen their own knives? Looking for advice.

Hey Gang

Was curious if anyone on here does their own knife sharpening?

We`ve got a set of pretty decent knives that are definitely due for some attention. I was originally planning on just bringing them in to get professionally sharpened; but having long been thinking about learning how to do my own sharpening it feels like now would be a good time to learn.

I`m drawn to learning how to do whetstone sharpening. Seems like it would be a very zen process, and also feels like it would be less likely to go drastically awry.

The belt style sharpeners are interesting, but I worry that there`s more of a learning curve to get that right.

I`ve also seen the style with ceramic rods with angle guides where you pull the blade through to sharpen (one side at a time) - given the edge on some of our knives I`m wondering if it would be a challenge to get a uniform edge back that way.

We`ve got one of the V shaped "scraper" sharpeners that the previous owner left, definitely looking for something better for the knife than that. My wife has used it on one of our knives, and it`s clear that`s not the way to go...

Looking for any good resources to learn more about the process and what equipment to look at. Don`t want to spend a fortune, but also wanna make sure to get good stuff to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OT - Anyone sharpen their own knives? Looking for advice.

It seems like YouTube would be your friend on this one--I just took a quick look and there were a lot of videos on whetstone sharpening. I presume some of the people even know what they are doing.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    It seems like YouTube would be your friend on this one--I just took a quick look and there were a lot of videos on whetstone sharpening. I presume some of the people even know what they are doing.
    I have a bit of an internal struggle with YouTube. I know there`s a wealth of knowledge on their, but I dislike the fact that someone can receive compensation for my click regardless of the quality of their content. Too many "How To" videos where you`re trying to learn how to take apart something in the dashboard and the whole time they`ve got their camera phone pointed at the door panel, or a "detailing" video where they were cleaning carpets in a car that they had sprayed so much water in (with a hose!) you could see standing water while they were scrubbing.

Now on the other hand I wouldn`t hesitate to click a Guz video for detailing or if someone had a recommendation of "Oh man, You`ve gotta check out the Larry Loves Sharpening series."

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of knives? Kitchen? Pocket? Hunting? It really depends on the kind of knives you want to sharpen.

Learning how to whetstone properly fun, very zen and something if you get right, you have really really sharp knives.

This video is pretty good. The sharpie trick is especially helpful.
    Beginner's Guide to Whetstone Sharpening - YouTube

Vincent Lau is legit knife expert.
    How to Sharpen a Knife with a Japanese Master Sharpener - YouTube

They have angle guides that clip onto your knife. These are really good too. I use them all the time.

If you want a machine sharpener the chef`s choice sharpener is solid. I get a sharp blade all the time but it wears your knife down faster than a stone.

I have the Ken Onion sharpener for knives and tools that don`t need a super fine edge. It`s pretty useful for longer blades like machetes and sickles.
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and if you use YouTube try finding videos of old Japanese knife experts. Avoid the videos with white guys dressed in kimonos....
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I have a bit of an internal struggle with YouTube. I know there`s a wealth of knowledge on their, but I dislike the fact that someone can receive compensation for my click regardless of the quality of their content. Too many "How To" videos where you`re trying to learn how to take apart something in the dashboard and the whole time they`ve got their camera phone pointed at the door panel, or a "detailing" video where they were cleaning carpets in a car that they had sprayed so much water in (with a hose!) you could see standing water while they were scrubbing.
    Yeah, I hear you, everybody is an expert...it really grates on me that no one edits their videos. I remember the early days of YouTube when they had a time limit and people had to edit to stay within. The detailing one that really perturbed me was one linked here to that guy in England who was reviewing a polisher, and he was trying to quote the specs, and turned around and searched on his laptop for a minute and a half to find them...and I`m thinking to myself why am I sitting here watching a guy googling stuff on his computer? He can`t edit that out? IIRC I complained about it in the thread here that it was linked from and I was told I was being too hard on the guy.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The "Project Farm" guy on YouTube has tested/demo-ed knife sharpeners at least once. The video I watched was a recent episode. He tested stuff from the low end up to the $$$$ range. Somewhat interesting to watch.
    Cars: bringing people together
    Likes FunctionalDoc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s my feedback on the topic, you all probably saw this on the other forum, but just in case:

I bought a TSPROF K03.

It is the tier 1 guided sharpener system.
    Better than Wicked Edge, Hapstone, Edge Pro, Lansky, Worksharp etc.

Here`s the one I got:
    TSProf K03 Standard Expert Knife Sharpener - Gritomatic

Started with just the basic boride stones, then caught the bug and assembled a kit of 9 fancy stones.

Knife sharpening is much like paint correction when you get down to it.

I still use the sharpie method to dial in the angle and mounting.

Having a capable sharpening system has made me much more willing to use my nice knives to their potential.
    Don`t have to worry about keeping that factory edge, because the edge you can end up with is superior.

I know you can freehand, but I don`t have the time, patience, or natural ability to learn the skill yet.
    So, a small investment in a bullet-proof system has been well worth it.

The TSProf K03 is built like a tank. No plastic or fiddly parts.
    Totally over engineered and over built. Idiot proof, thank goodness.
    I`ve tried the Worksharp Ken Onion, Lansky, free-hand, pull through, etc and just never got good results until this machine.

It uses the "Edge-Pro" style stone. Its just a stone glued to an aluminum blank.
    The Edge Pro, Hapstone, TSProf and maybe other systems can use this stone, so its not proprietary like the Wicket Edge, and other systems. Its like the "Glock" or "ONR" of stones.
    Lots of places cut down the good stones and mount them, so you can get just about any stone you want.
    Get them these places:

All 6" Stones - Gritomatic

Shapton Stones For the Edge Pro

1x6 Hapstone

My setup:

You can dial in the exact angle you want, then just go to town:

My favorite part: the Stones.
    Its like buying a bunch of different polishes.
    Shapton Glass 220
    Shapton Glass 500
    Shapton Glass 6,000
    Suehiro Cerax 320
    Edge Pro Diamond Matrix 650
    Edge Pro Diamond Matrix 2,300
    Naniwa Chosera 800
    Naniwa Chosera 3000
    Leather strop

My favorite combo for a every day carry pocket knife is
    500 grit then 6,000 grit. Leaves a toothy edge, but polished for the best of both worlds

Here`s a "before" on one of my pocket knives. You can see the sort of unintentional microbevel from not getting dialed in and using an inferior system:

And an "after". Think this was post 800-grit:
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you don’t want to spend money on lansky or wicked edge knife sharpening setups. A metal file will sharpen your knife there videos on it on you tube. I do this or I have a wet stone if I’m feeling up to the the challenge

Post Thanks / Like

With zero time to waste, I have to use Accumulator-proof systems to keep things as sharp as I want (I resharpen most while they`ll still shave). Some people are a *LOT* more skilled at this than others, but anybody can get a good edge with the right approach (which IME will vary between individuals).

OneHeadlight- My belt-driven system wasn`t right for me and was promptly relegated to lawnmower blades (which I do keep rather sharp). The "Chef`s Choice" type ones were utter junk IME, never got a decent edge, not once.

How sharp to you want? The Crock-sticks/"V rods" type ones are awfully easy to use if you`re not after the nth-degree of sharpness, but you gotta be careful about how they handle the tips of the blades.

CraigDT- Ah, Just glancing at your post I thought that somebody else here uses the EdgePro, but I see your setup is even better

Do you generally stop at the ~800grit point?

I`ve used countless sharpening systems over the last 50 years, and while the Lansky/Loray/etc. ones aren`t bad, and the "crock stick" ones are OK for the kitchen knives, something like yours, or the EdgePro, is indeed the way to be truly, uhm...Autopian...about it Props to you for being so serious about this.

(Years ago, a kitchen accident resulted in my wife cutting her thumb...as in "99% severed" including all the tendons/etc. The surgeon they flew in to fix it said that had the knife *not* been so sharp, he never could`ve reconnected everything, and he observed that the cut from that accident was as clean as anything he`d ever seen from a scalpel. As it was, things healed up quite well, she even regained pretty normal nerve-function/sensation after a while. It pays to keep stuff sharp.)

William_Wallace- I can`t get a good edge that way, but I`ve known people who could, and I have a ton of respect for such abilities!
    Likes craigdt liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite, William_Wallace thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That`s interesting. The chef`s choice knife sharpener is a no fail method for me. I found a high end one at a garage sale for $20. HOWEVER, I only use it if I am a rush, I rarely use it because it wears your knife down too quickly.

I use these guides on my knives with a whetstone. Sharpie the whole edge. Sharpen one side only till you get a solid burr and then flip and sharpen the other side. It`s an art and one I love to practice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

CraigDT- Ah, Just glancing at your post I thought that somebody else here uses the EdgePro, but I see your setup is even better

Do you generally stop at the ~800grit point?
    maybe half the time- its a pretty quick, fool proof way to get a good working edge.

I`ve found that much past that is just sort of a "for the love of the game" thing for me.

The most enjoyable knives to me are ones with just a garbage edge.
    Maybe something with chips, or one that needs a totally new angle set.

Post Thanks / Like

Hawaiidude- Hey, I`m glad ot hear that the Chef`s Choice works for you! They could very well be better now than they were when I had mine.

And *OH YEAH* on using a Sharpie! Especially on systems where I`m resetting the angle all the time. Glad you mentioned that little trick.

craigdt- Heh heh, once again, you sound like Yours Truly on this subject, just as you have with some others

Yeah, I only get, uhm...extreme...about our best cutlery, but they don`t need redone much as they`re kinda for, uhm...situations that hopefully never arise and seldom get used for routine cutting.

But then I often sharpen "to the right degree for the application", which might be a fancy way of saying I cut some corners when I can justify it

And my one with Damascus simply cuts better if I deliberately leave a little bit of "tooth" rather than going for "polished perfectly smooth".

Oh man, I`m forcing myself to *NOT* research your setup...that really looks nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    And my one with Damascus simply cuts better if I deliberately leave a little bit of "tooth" rather than going for "polished perfectly smooth".

Oh man, I`m forcing myself to *NOT* research your setup...that really looks nice.

This was sort of an "ah ha!" moment for me: realizing that a mirror shiny edge was not the best application for me most of the time.

Im fortunate to have a nice setup but certainly tried my hand at many other more "reasonable" options first.

Can you tell us more about your setup? maybe I`m reading impaired but I picked up that you don`t use a belt driven sharpener for your nice knives.
    Also- I`m mainly a pocket knife guy- if I wanted to get my dad a reasonably nice kitchen knife, is there a couple you`d recommend I look into?

Post Thanks / Like

Dalstrong has a line of knives on amazon. I bought a few. I particularly like the 7" Damascus santoku knife. I use that one for 90% of all my cutting. It holds its edge for quite a while. It was around $100. The cleaver is another one I really like, it has a little too much curve for my liking but it`s good. Check em out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information