Obviously a touchy subject. Some are perfectionists about it, some just want it done and over with. I`ve never considered myself in the perfectionist about it, but I know a good shave from a bad one. Not much feels better than a great shave. I have somewhat sensitive skin and I`m rarely happy with my shave unless it`s a brand spanking new razor. I`ve never had a straight razor shave and I`d love to learn it, but I`m terrified of the thought. Plus, those razors are crazy expensive, like $120!

Ive owned 2 electrics, a braun and a norelco and hated both. Takes too long, rough on the skin and nowhere near close enough. The Gillette stuff is nice but such a gimmick and crazy expensive. Why does shaving have to cost so much?!

A year or two ago, I stumbled onto a trick to prolong razor blades- wipe them dry after use, hold in rubbing alcohol when not in use, and after the first week strop the blades on a pair of jeans after every 2-3 shaves. Works pretty well, and instead of a week`s worth of use, I could typically get 4-6. I got 8 a couple times but the last week or two was brutal. Even still, the last week or two is noticeably worse, which is understandable.

Im finally able to stomach the cost of shaving, but still not thrilled with my shave.

The ads for Bevel on Facebook got me thinking. I almost signed up until I stopped to think about it- $30 a month for a subscription shaving plan?! Talk about nuts! Especially when you can buy 100 replacement blades for $12, s razor stand for $15, a razor handle for as little as $15(though some are much more, I have no idea why), a soap bowl for $5(or a coffee mug from the cupboard), a brush for as little as $15, and as little or as much as you want on soap and aftershave balm. Do people not actually look at costs before they sign up for this bs?

Being home for Christmas, I had the chance to discuss shaving with my grandfather. He`s a retired marine corps captain who survived 4 tours in Vietnam. If I learned anything from him, it`s grooming- always clean shaved, shoes are polished(it was my job to polish his shoes for church), sideburns are always at the top of the ear and the back neckline is always squared up. Anyway, he just so happened to have a safety razor that he let me try and gave me, along with a package of blades. Will take some practice, but is worth a try. I was surprised he gave it to me, but he`s a huge fan of the Harry`s razor and has no need for it.

How about you guys? Any real shaving aficionados here? What are your tips and secrets you`ve stumbled onto over the years?