Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

The New Economy: Detailing Product & Equipment Shortages

I recently tried to place an order with an on-line detailing supply company to replenish my detailing/car-care product inventory to continue pursuit of my detailing hobby, only to find many of the items I needed (note, not wanted) were not available.
    My options are:
    1) Wait for the product or equipment to come in at a later time when it is expected to come in (but NOT guaranteed) and thus delay the entire order
    2) Find a reasonable substitute product or equipment, either in a smaller available size, OR from a different manufacturer and pay more
    3) Get what IS available and order the other detailing products and equipment at a later time OR
    4) Order from other on-line detailing suppliers from their inventory IF it is available, but in a smaller dollar-amount order size that will not qualify for free shipping or dollar-volume discounts promotions.

My question to my fellow Autopians is: How is this new economic reality affecting YOUR detailing hobby or business?

This new topic is really an extension of the thread started by Autopian All-Star Ron Ketcham "Big (Detailing Product) Price Increases in the Future Coming".
    Ref: Big price increases coming in near future
    Rather than adding to that thread, I started this thread.

I know some of you are going to say, "Hey, Captain Obvious, join the crowd!" or the COVID-induced tag line "We`re all in this together."

I also need to refrain from listing the causes WHY this economic phenomena or current trend is happening because whatever I say will not immediately change what is happening (IE, the adage "just live with it, go with the flow, control what you can control"). But those of you who know me, Captain Obvious, know I am never quiet and have an opinion and comment about everything!
    The one big thing I think is happening is that manufactures of products and equipment have discovered that with these higher prices for whatever they produce due to limited supply of raw materials, they are still making money, some of them as levels equal or better than pre-COVID economic demand. This has de-incentivised manufacturers to increase production by ramping up capital equipment investment or hire more workers to meet this demand and make more profits when they simply cannot because that needed raw material is in short supply and/or high in price and skilled, qualified (emphasis both of those qualities!) workers are not available or will not work at the current wage offered. Manufactures will simply wait this whole current economic situation out or it will self-perpetuate itself. It is a hybrid (there is that buzz word again!) exception to the economic laws of supply-and-demand that SHOULD be at work in a free-market society. (PLEASE, no comments about how the federal government can and will "fix" this! You and I will get banned from this forum by the Admins, if they have not a ready locked this discussion! Just sayin`.....)
    GB detailer
    Thanks noorth thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The New Economy: Detailing Product & Equipment Shortages

Sorry to hear that you were having trouble getting what you needed. For me, detailing is a hobby/side hustle, so the impact is minimized. I also had a pretty good inventory of stuff built up, partially because of being a semi-hoarder, and partially because I saw this coming.

Side note - if you PM me some of the stuff you need, I could possibly ship you some (if I have it in sufficient quantity) and maybe tide you over until your supplies are in stock.
    Likes Stokdgs, JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The situation is dire for me and I`ll likely have to close up soon. I can`t get many products, especially in enough quantity to survive. And if I can get products the lead times are now 4+ months. This is across the board. And even if I could get products, the prices have gone up 30-50%. It is simply not sustainable and I don`t see things improving in the near future. Last year was challenging for the business, this year is untenable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    The situation is dire for me and I`ll likely have to close up soon. I can`t get many products, especially in enough quantity to survive. And if I can get products the lead times are now 4+ months. This is across the board. And even if I could get products, the prices have gone up 30-50%. It is simply not sustainable and I don`t see things improving in the near future. Last year was challenging for the business, this year is untenable.
    Just out of curiosity, what types of supplies are you unable to get?
    Likes dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Sorry to hear that you were having trouble getting what you needed. For me, detailing is a hobby/side hustle, so the impact is minimized. I also had a pretty good inventory of stuff built up, partially because of being a semi-hoarder, and partially because I saw this coming.
    This is my situation. I tend to stock up incrementally and always order something before I run out. I`m horrible at judging consumption rates, so I typically always have excess product on hand for stuff I go through in quantities like soap, wheel cleaner and bug remover. There have been situations in my past where I learned to either get things when I saw them, or plan ahead for long/unpredictable lead times and that has stuck with me to this day.

So far the only thing I gave up on and cancelled completely was an order for Griots MF polishing pad. It was on back order for four months with AG, and I eventually gave up. Fortunately I haven`t needed it.

If nothing else, should I hit any shortages it will drive me to try out new brands and new retail outlets to purchase them from.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Home theater subwoofer business. Plywood is unavailable and the cost has doubled. Amplifier price has increased by about 35% and lead time is over 4 months now, used to be 4-6 weeks. Subwoofer drivers are very difficult to get and price has increased about 30-40%. Even my finishing supplies have been out of stock often.

Post Thanks / Like

Meg`s Detailer D143 Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner in the Gallon size will not be available until 17 Sept.
    Guess I will buy and use their RTU 32 ounce of that product that I can buy over-the-counter at AutoZone, but it not cost-effective.
    Their D181 Leather Cleaner in the gallon size is not available until 09 Sept.
    Griot`s Garage BOSS Perfecting Cream (Polish) is not available until 20 Aug.
    Then the EZ Detail Mini-brush is not available until 24 Aug.

briarpatch:
    Thanks for the offer to supply me with some of your car-care product inventory, but that will not be necessary. It`s not a life-and-death, gotta-have-it "need" as it is a hobby for me, not a business livelihood. Just means some of my friends-and-family vehicles will not get cleaned or detailed in a timely fashion. It`s MY fault for waiting so long. That`s one of the problems of this Just-In-Time supply chain, thinking you can get needed items of all types for daily life immediately. That just is not the case in this COVID pandemic-influenced economic situation.

I keep looking at new and used car/vehicle inventories at both new car dealers and used car lots. Pretty pathetic inventory numbers-wise and the prices are shocking compared to before all this COVID stuff started. This may have a long-lasting effect down the road for both vehicle owners or leasees looking for a new or used vehicle and hence, detailers because after all, it is vehicles that we detail. Less now means less tomorrow.
    GB detailer
    Likes RPPM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    It`s a problem for many small business. Someone looks at your situation and says, "Hey, it is a high-end TV audio entertainment speaker business. If it disappears, who is going to miss it?"
    It`s YOUR business, your means of livelihood, your sweat-equity. Enough consumers bought your speaker systems in the past, which is why you continued in this particular business. But now it`s just cost-sensitive to the end-consumer for what is the current asking price of this product.
    Few Americans realize the economic importance of small business to this economy or to the communities that they do business in. My sympathy to you for raw material prices and availability beyond your control that have forced you to come to this business decision.
    GB detailer
    Likes dgage, Desertnate, RPPM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I keep looking at new and used car/vehicle inventories at both new car dealers and used car lots. Pretty pathetic inventory numbers-wise and the prices are shocking compared to before all this COVID stuff started. This may have a long-lasting effect down the road for both vehicle owners or leasees looking for a new or used vehicle and hence, detailers because after all, it is vehicles that we detail. Less now means less tomorrow.
    Beyond weird, on-off, shortages I see in the form of empty spaces on shelves in stores, I think it`s the vehicle market which is the most visible to me. Really just because I`m a car nut and I pay attention to this stuff. I frequently pass multiple car dealerships in daily life. Our local Kia dealer is fairly small, but lately their lot is empty these days and it is very obvious when a shipment comes in. Inventory doesn`t last long. A well established Chevy dealer normally would have HUNDREDS of cars on their massive lot. These days? If they have 50 cars/trucks/SUV`s at any time, I`d be shocked. A fried who works at a dealership in a different state said they are parking their personal vehicles on the lot to make it look like there is more inventory than they really have. For some reason, our Mazda dealer seems to always have a decent amount of inventory.

Used car prices are shocking. I had a wild idea of getting a cheap track toy/fun car. After looking around, that idea is out the widow. I`ve seen 3~4 year old Subaru BRZ`s with list prices much higher than the prices of the new 2022`s which will hit the dealerships next month. Mileage, accidents, and even SALVAGE TITLES are listed at silly prices these days.

On another note, has anyone tried to buy tires lately? I had an urgent need for a set for my car and shopping was fun. Prices are only marginally higher (brand dependent), but availability for what I needed was pretty slim. I ended up having to go with my third choice in make/model because the 3~4 retail outlet I normally frequent (and 1 I don`t!) couldn`t get me a complete set.
    Likes RPPM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Beyond weird, on-off, shortages I see in the form of empty spaces on shelves in stores, I think it`s the vehicle market which is the most visible to me. Really just because I`m a car nut and I pay attention to this stuff. I frequently pass multiple car dealerships in daily life. Our local Kia dealer is fairly small, but lately their lot is empty these days and it is very obvious when a shipment comes in. Inventory doesn`t last long. A well established Chevy dealer normally would have HUNDREDS of cars on their massive lot. These days? If they have 50 cars/trucks/SUV`s at any time, I`d be shocked. A fried who works at a dealership in a different state said they are parking their personal vehicles on the lot to make it look like there is more inventory than they really have. For some reason, our Mazda dealer seems to always have a decent amount of inventory.

Used car prices are shocking. I had a wild idea of getting a cheap track toy/fun car. After looking around, that idea is out the widow. I`ve seen 3~4 Subaru BRZ`s with list prices much higher than the prices of the new 2022`s which will hit the dealerships next month. Mileage, accidents, and even SALVAGE TITLES are listed at silly prices these days.

On another note, has anyone tried to buy tires lately? I had an urgent need for a set for my car and shopping was fun. Prices are only marginally higher (brand dependent), but availability for what I needed was pretty slim. I ended up having to go with my third choice in make/model because the 3~4 retail outlet I normally frequent (and 1 I don`t!) could get me a complete set.
    Did not realize car/vehicle tires were another item that was in short supply.

Apparently, Ford is still building trucks at their Louisville, Kentucky assembly factory, BUT without the needed chips to control the fuel management system. They run, but cannot meet the required CAFE fuel economy necessary to be sold to consumers. So they are being stock-piled at the nearby Kentucky Speedway in open fields. So when (and if) the needed microchips come in, they will be installed and these truck can then be sold. Trouble is that these trucks sit outside in a field, not started or run or moved, some since early April of this year. Who knows what condition they are in since sitting for 5 months. It`s much different if they were sitting in dealer lot where they are periodically moved for inventory display, lot snow removal, or driven on prospective customer test drives.
    GB detailer
    Likes Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wait’ll there’s a bad hail storm.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I talked to a supplier yesterday who said he was cancelling more orders than taking. They can`t fill them due to lack of workers and materials.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I talked to a supplier yesterday who said he was cancelling more orders than taking. They can`t fill them due to lack of workers and materials.
    A supplier of what? Car part? Lumber?

I am trying to keep this topic "vehicle detailing centric", but I am sure that many of you Autopians are facing shortages on many other fronts within this economy due to the influences of COVID. Its effects are felt far beyond just detailing and the products and equipment related to it.
    That is no more evident when buying groceries and food for everyday life and the hit it makes on your personal income from wages or subsidies, especially for those of you who have children who have been sequestered at home during this pandemic.

My biggest fear is not the cost or increase in prices, but the fact that everyday living items will not be available at any price, including food. Solving that problem is not within my realm nor the subject of this thread discussion, and I will leave it at that.
    GB detailer
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah its funny to see lots out of cars. Funny though shortages create needs elsewhere. Try going to service center.

When I went to get my fluids changed most service centers 2-4 weeks out.... talk to the advisor and she said business is nuts.... busiest she’s seen in 20 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Yeah its funny to see lots out of cars. Funny though shortages create needs elsewhere. Try going to service center.

When I went to get my fluids changed most service centers 2-4 weeks out.... talk to the advisor and she said business is nuts.... busiest she’s seen in 20 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its funny how the shortages which are killing auto makers actually make their dealerships REALLY happy. Dealers never make much money off cars. It`s the service department, used car sales, and F&I where the profits are hidden. Right now used car prices are insane, service centers are over flowing, and even the F&I guys are happy because the few new cars they do sell are almost always at MSRP (or higher).

Sorry, Lonnie if this gets too far off topic, but another oddity of this post/intra-pandemic automotive economy is Ford starting to look at shifting priories from massive inventories on lots to more of a by-order process. Car dealerships in Europe do this now. They stock a few examples for test drives and tire-kickers, but if you want to buy a car, most of the time you order it and wait the 6~8 weeks for it to arrive equipped just like you wanted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information