Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about shaving

RAD, yeah, been into this DE shaving for 2 weeks and been using a Merkur 34C and loving it. The bad thing is I have 3 vintage Gillette`s coming in the mail this week all in my birth year. Had been using my Dad`s vintage Shick Injector for 15+ years and can`t say as I would go back. After 30+ years of shaving I never would have thought I could have such nice shaves with the double edge, blood free even, thanks to the not so aggressive 34C.

Kudos on the getting such a good turn around on selling the razor.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I don`t actually sell anything - just watch others do so. Even were I inclined, don`t think the market is anywhere nearly topped out.

Post Thanks / Like

My bad, I misread it. I thought you had sold one. I bet it is nice to know they are appreciating in value.

Of the 3 vintage ones I have coming I don`t see that they would ever appreciate in value that would even make it worth the trouble to sell them. Besides I am a hoarder, I rarely sell anything.
    Dean.
    Likes Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This pic is for jrock645. He had asked me about a home brew pre-shave oil. These are the oils I make mine from. I can`t tell you this is the best recipe but I`ve found it to work very well. I confirmed this once again when trying the Cremo Cream. It made a noticeable difference when using this product vs. the Cremo by itself. You can certainly adjust the mix with these oils but I wouldn`t tell you to use too much Glyceron, while very slick it can dry your skin. The eye dropper on the end is what I use to store it in.

3 parts Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    2 parts Grape Seed Oil
    2 parts Avocado Oil
    1 part Castor Oil
    1 part Glyceron
    10 drops Lavendar Essential Oil

Attached Images Attached Images
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Ronkh, Jaddie, tropicsteve liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mixed some of this up tonight as the ingredients arrived today. Added some additional essential oils as the gf has them galore... Some orange, Rosemary, almond, eucalyptus and cedar wood made it in- just a few drops each. Smells nice!
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Merkur 47C... So much better of a shave than the cheap vander hagen my grandpa gave me. Really smooth and no nicks

Post Thanks / Like

How did your shave oil work for you?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be working pretty well. Had some irritation the first couple shaves, not sure why. Its gone now, nothing but great shaves. Used the shavette on sunday and had great smooth skin. In time, ill be ready to invest in a straight razor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Seems to be working pretty well. Had some irritation the first couple shaves, not sure why. Its gone now, nothing but great shaves. Used the shavette on sunday and had great smooth skin. In time, ill be ready to invest in a straight razor.
    :

Up the Castor oil a bit, just for grins and giggles. Maybe even double it. That will give the finished product more body, it thickens the formula and has staying power. I wet my face, use a nickle sized drop of oil and then wet my face again. Oddly it tends to hold the water and keeps the whiskers damp.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes jrock645, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Up the Castor oil a bit, just for grins and giggles.
    Haha ok

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched a you tube video on shaving with a Parker SR 1 shavette with the replaceable blades. Even though the idea of shaving with a cutthroat razor I just don`t think I am coordinated enough to do the left side of my face (right handed).

My 3 vintage Gillette`s showed up. I have used the Tech 3 piece ball end and it shaves great and comparable to my Merkur 34c for a little more than half the money of it also. Then tried the Slim adjustable and it is now my main razor. I have a Super Speed but haven`t used it because the Slim works so well. I even got my best friend into DE shaving and bought him a Tech 3 piece in his birth year and he thinks it is pretty cool. He had been using a Fusion off and on along with twin disposables and says his shaves are on par with the DE as before. He likes the idea that he can buy blades at the local drugstore for $1.29 for a 5 pack. He said he got the Fusion in the mail and it come with one blade, he bought a 4 pack and I thought he said it cost him over $20. So he likes the idea of the cost side of it.

I tried the Taylor of Old Bond Street soap and for a spendy soap it irritated my face. Will try it again to see if I get the same reaction. Melted down my puck of Van der Hagen Luxury soap and mixed in some original Old Spice and loving the scent. Melted another one and mixed in a little more glycerin to try for a little more slickness and also added some English Leather to it but it seems pretty mild. Have yet to shave with it. The Van der Hagen Luxury soap is nice, I got the scented and even though it is an okay smelling soap I wanted to change it after reading some experimenting on Badger and Blade forums.

I don`t shave every day and been on a 2 day regiment and really look forward to my shaves again. I haven`t been able to say that in the last 30 years of shaving. Kind of wished I would have found this years ago. But then again I might have worn off the novelty of this and been back to my old habits by now. It has only been 4 weeks, true test will be 6 months or a year from now. At this point I can see keeping up with this.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a Merkur 25c. Been using the 47c, and it`s great but not as aggressive of a shave as I`d like. I`ve been using the shavette more and more, love the close shave but my skin can`t take it every day. So, I got the 25c as my razor for in between shavette shaves. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

From left to right, Merkur 34c HD, 1964 Gillette 3 piece Tech Ball End, 1964 Gillette Super Speed and now my main razor a 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Just found a third quarter `67 adjustable slim for $10. They had another slim 10, red tip 10, and a complete travel tech for 35 (open blade box). My slim cleaned up nice and in good working order

I`m going back for the red tip. If someone is interested in the others PM me.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoTaurus View Post
    Just found a third quarter `67 adjustable slim for $10. They had another slim 10, red tip 10, and a complete travel tech for 35 (open blade box). My slim cleaned up nice and in good working order

I`m going back for the red tip. If someone is interested in the others PM me.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
    ha you may as well be speaking chinese... I`ve got no idea what you`re even referring to! lol

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread Information