Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about shaving

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I indicated in an earlier post that I`d report back with my experience using Cremo. I`ve given the Cremo Cream (discussed in previous posts) a shot over the past couple of weeks. Actually used it 5 times using various application methods including as directed on the tube and in combination with both shave oils and soaps. Used new blades and gave it what I felt was a very fair trial run. Each time I felt like I paid for having used it when finished. I and my wife both felt that my shave wasn`t as smooth and my skin ended up red and irritated even the next day out.

In most instances I had to use a 3 pass shave using Cremo instead of my usual 2 pass shave (reloading between passes) to get something that felt acceptable. I don`t ever have this problem when doing a 3 pass shave using my every day products. I`ve got sensitive skin and a beard that is something akin to 8 lb. test fishing line. Believing that no process is perfect, I`d grade my daily routine as an A-, I`d grade the Cremo as a B- minus and shave gels like Gillette`s Egde as only a C. Having said all this I guess I`d have to say that I could get by using only Cremo but having found a regimen that really gives me a baby butt smooth shave on a daily basis, I don`t see myself trading products any time soon.
    I only tried Cremo Cream once with my Schick Injector and my face hurt through the next day. I don`t know if I dare try it with the DE.

Yesterday was my 2nd shave with the Merkur and Van der Hagen soap and I can say I am liking it. 2 shaves, no nicks, no blood, very little to no razor burn. I have sensitive skin and would end up with a little nick and slight razor burn whether using the Injector or my twin blades. So I can say it is a definite improvement especially when I don`t draw blood even on 2 passes. I shave every other day or even 3 days and I am looking forward to tomorrow mornings shave. I could never say that before.

The bad thing is I ordered Feather blades off of Amazon and found out they ship from Thailand and won`t get them for a couple weeks. I wasn`t paying attention when I placed the order. I guess I will see how many shaves I can get from the Merkur blade. Will likely go back to the Injector and try the VDH soap with that to see if I can go without a nick.
    Dean.
    Likes GearHead_1, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Could not find the cremo this morning, so picked up 2 Neutrogena shave cremes.
    Neutrogena Men® Sensitive Skin Shave Cream | NEUTROGENA

Curious how good it will be.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Im having great results with the old school dafety razor, soap and oil method. Closest shave ive ever had and my skin seems to be improving. Gotta keep working on the technique as i cut myself a fair amount some days. Had an excellent shave this morning, though!
    Likes GearHead_1, trashmanssd, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday was shave #3 with the Merkur razor and blade. First shave was a little rough and for the first time no nicks. Second shave went smooth, again no nicks and very little to no razor burn. Shave #3 no different than shave #2. My face feels great. Like the smell of the Van der Hagen soap. Of course, just like when I started detailing this is getting costly. I had ordered the Van der Hagen brush, stand, shave mug and soap combo when I ordered the Merkur razor and after some reading on shaving techniques, soaps, brushes I am already upgrading my brush. Found out the kit I bought the brush is just the lowest grade badger hair. It is prickly when face lathering so after some reading I found that Omega makes some nice silvertip badger brush for a very reasonable price, still a little spendy in my book, but other brushes of similar hair can run 3 times the price as these. Then, just like wax, I thought the couple VDH pucks I bought were enough after some reading I had to buy another soap to try. So I have som Taylor of Old Bond Street raditional soap coming. Hopefully I can curb this spending on this new hobby sooner than later. I can say after shaving for just over 30 years I can I am starting to enjoy it now. The main reason for that is how nice my face feels afterwards. I can`t say that I am getting a closer shave with a DE than using twins or my Schick Injector. It is just nice to finish a shave and haven`t drawn blood.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the second shave on blades also. The brush you have will never be a soft as some of the high dollar badgers but they do tend to "loosen" up a bit. It will also shed for a while but it slows and eventually gets to a point where it rarely does. I feel bad for making the recommendation earlier in the thread but will stand by my comment, it`s a good way to experience brush shaving without breaking the bank and the brush will last many years of regular use. It will also feel nicer on your face than a $15 or $20 horse or boar`s hair brush. As you`ve noticed already, like detailing you can spend a ton on shaving gear very easily. You`ll probably find you want to try multiple razors and brushes. The expensive brushes while feeling nicer have little to do with a top notch finished product.

If you need/want the logo on the side of the handle this thought just won`t do but if not, have you considered putting one of your own brushes together? I`ve made several, even had one specially engraved for my son when he started the practice. I`ve had very good success assembling component brushes including picking up some antique handles and re-knotting them. I have several "high dollar" brushes from most of the big name brush manufacturers. I`m glad I have these but in all honestly they don`t perform any better than what I`ve put together at 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of the big boys. You also get a large selection on handle styles/colors/sizes to choose from. You can build a nice brush in the $65 range with a far better knot than buying a name brand in the same price range.

I`ve found over the years that my taste in brush size has changed dramatically. I used to like big floppy brushes but know I pick smaller, firmer brushes. The 2 brushes on the left are component brushes, the one on the far left is an antique re-knot. I use it more often than any of my other brushes.

image.jpeg

Here`s a link to a store that I`ve purchased from in the past.

Badger Hair Knots - Wet Shaving
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Ronkh, Jaddie liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool !!
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52split View Post

[IMG]http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag70/Hiramcastro/652BFBC9-EEAC-4478-A4DF-64D9B1464053_zpsnnc0lf9d.jpg[/IMG]
    Love the Morris and Forndran brushes. I have a group buy brush from Badger and Blade, and love it. They have the best looking tortoise shell brush on the market.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I like the second shave on blades also. The brush you have will never be a soft as some of the high dollar badgers but they do tend to "loosen" up a bit. It will also shed for a while but it slows and eventually gets to a point where it rarely does. I feel bad for making the recommendation earlier in the thread but will stand by my comment, it`s a good way to experience brush shaving without breaking the bank and the brush will last many years of regular use. It will also feel nicer on your face than a $15 or $20 horse or boar`s hair brush. As you`ve noticed already, like detailing you can spend a ton on shaving gear very easily. You`ll probably find you want to try multiple razors and brushes. The expensive brushes while feeling nicer have little to do with a top notch finished product.

If you need/want the logo on the side of the handle this thought just won`t do but if not, have you considered putting one of your own brushes together? I`ve made several, even had one specially engraved for my son when he started the practice. I`ve had very good success assembling component brushes including picking up some antique handles and re-knotting them. I have several "high dollar" brushes from most of the big name brush manufacturers. I`m glad I have these but in all honestly they don`t perform any better than what I`ve put together at 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of the big boys. You also get a large selection on handle styles/colors/sizes to choose from. You can build a nice brush in the $65 range with a far better knot than buying a name brand in the same price range.

I`ve found over the years that my taste in brush size has changed dramatically. I used to like big floppy brushes but know I pick smaller, firmer brushes. The 2 brushes on the left are component brushes, the one on the far left is an antique re-knot. I use it more often than any of my other brushes.

Here`s a link to a store that I`ve purchased from in the past.

Badger Hair Knots - Wet Shaving
    Nothing wrong with your recommendations so you have nothing to feel bad about. I am glad you recommended the short handle Merkur. I was going to get the long handle or barber pole version but decided not to. I think the short handle is helping me apply less pressure shaving. In turn no blood. I haven`t even nick the slight bump I have on my cheek.

If you recommended a brush I must have missed it. I went with the VDH kit because it had a bowl, soap and brush. The brush is nice but it is a little too floppy. It builds up a bunch of lather but it is like it doesn`t want to give it up on the face. If I squeeze out the lather it is unreal how much there is in the brush. After reading up on brushes I found Omega and it has a smaller knot and shorter loft and was looking for one with softer tips. I was originally going to use my dads brush but it seems to be shedding considerably and it is somewhat stiff and not much splay or bloom or whatever it is called. It is just about straight out of the handle. I have seen some of the custom brushes upwards of $300. Even nice ones at $150 are more than I was planning to spend. I got the Omega 636. Most places I looked it listed close to $70 but I found a retailer that had it on sale for $45. I decided what the hay.

Also went with your recommendation on blades. I messed up and wasn`t paying attention to where they shipped from. Totally my fault, getting frugal these days and went the cheaper route. That has happened to me one other time with Amazon. Even though it will take another 3 to 4 weeks for them to arrive I have more than enough of my other gear to get me through just about the rest of this year anyway. I hope the Feather blades are as nice as the blade that came with the Merkur then it will be worth the wait.

I would definitely like to say thank you and everyone else for there help. My face thanks you to.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Gearhead, I did find and re-read the post. When I read it before I didn`t even realize you mentioned the VDH set. I didn`t get the one with the blade or razor. Again don`t feel bad on my account. The set is a nice starter set. I liked the look of the set when I was browsing Amazon. The brush I got with it was the pure badger brush. It is soft enough but of course when you look at pictures on Amazon it is hard to tell what the items will be like. The bowl is nice and I really like the soap. I don`t know if it is cucumber smell but I like it. I cover it up with Afta aftershave lotion and just pick up some Nivea aftershave balm. They both have really nice smell to them. The Nivea I picked up since it is cold and dry here it has aloe vero and is a moisturizer.

I had seen on B&B about making your own brush using knots. That looks interesting and might have to look into making one or two out of some premium or high mountain silvertip. I will have to do some research on making my own.

In my short term memory I owe The Driver for the recommendation of the razor and blades. Thank you.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

What can I say? I have a guilty conscience, always been that way. By the way, this isn`t a recommendation (saying this for my benefit), I really like Nivea`s Arctic Freeze started out with Proraso`s different balms but this works better for me. I use it at the end of every shave.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I`m gonna have to check out these component brushes. How complicated is the assembly process?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I`m gonna have to check out these component brushes. How complicated is the assembly process?
    Not difficult at all assuming you get a handle drilled for the size knot you have chosen. Even that is not difficult to correct assuming you have the right size bore for your drill. I`ve turned 20`s into 24`s and embedded knots a bit deeper. It`s simply a epoxy glue in process. If you`re removing an old knot a microwave will warm the epoxy up so you can pull the old knot, heating the handle in water works well. The toughest part is trying to discern how different sellers rank their knots. The site I linked to makes different products sound very much the same. There are of course different stores but they all use different terminology to rank their products.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes jrock645, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Performed a straight razor shave with the shavette this morning. Need a lot more practice. I think I`ll begin shaving this way on my days off from work, when I`m not pressed for time. Not nearly as smooth of a shave as with the DE blades, resulting in a couple really minor nicks. I currently have Shark blades... Is that a decent blade to be using?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Performed a straight razor shave with the shavette this morning. Need a lot more practice. I think I`ll begin shaving this way on my days off from work, when I`m not pressed for time. Not nearly as smooth of a shave as with the DE blades, resulting in a couple really minor nicks. I currently have Shark blades... Is that a decent blade to be using?
    Shark is a good starter blade. I`ve been using Astra blades for a while now and absolutely love them.

Edit - I`m speaking to both the shavette and DE.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread. Have finally beaten back my RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder) now that I have more than I can count. The good news is that they are almost appreciating faster than my 401k is losing money (I have 4 - I know, I know - Tradere razors that I felt stupid paying $160 ea for and took great joy watching one go for $475 last night on the `Bay).

"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." - F. Bueller

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information