Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about shaving

With fall/winter on our backs, i just wanted to post a good find. After shaving, if dry skin is the issue, i found this and gave it a try. BAM. Awesome right after a shave.

Palmer`s MEN BODY & FACE.

Unless you grow that beard for the winter. I was bearded for a long time. Now a short goatee suits me fine.

https://www.palmers.com/en/cocoa-but...ce-lotion.html
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I would give an update. My stuff showed up the other day but had already shaved that morning with my Injecta and some Cremo Cream that I had picked up at Wally World. I know you are supposed to give some things a chance but that creme was murder with the SE Injecta. I got a bad case of razor burn and not sure if I want to even try it with the DE or with any razor for that matter.

Been kind of anxious to try the Merkur DE and give a soap a try the last 2 days. Since I haven`t used a brush and soap in 15 years I thought last night I would try and work the soap into a lather, Van der Hagen scented soap. This was also to clean the brush out. Practice run went great. Onto this morning. Read that the brush should be soaked, also put a few drop of water on top of the soap to hydrate it while showering. I see the lathering thing will take a little practice but got the brush loaded, seemed a little thin, thought I got a thicker practice run, but if I remember it is thicker than the Williams I tried before. Now time to try the DE, since I have not tried this type of blade before I went really slow. First thing I noticed is that the blade feels like it is pulling on the whiskers before cutting, might be just me since it was my first time with this type of razor. The blade is a Merkur that came with the razor, Feather blades have not arrived yet. Other than the different feel of it cutting the learning curve for using it is the same as the Injector SE. Since I went slow it took me a lot longer to shave but would expect it to be quicker after getting used to the heavier feel of the Merkur. Since I have been reading on a shave forum for a few days I read about making 2, 3 even 4 passes. Brush still had some lather in it and being new to this I only decided on a 2nd pass. In the past I would run the blade across the grain right after a pass with the grain and never had to lather up for that. Since brush had lather on it could just as well use it but wasn`t much left though but it got the job done. I don`t think my face could ever take a pass against the grain and will probably never try it.

Conclusion, I have a tough beard, product of getting older I guess. I don`t get the closest shave when using the Injector, not much better with the twin disposables I use. The closeness of this shave was on par with the Injector, maybe slightly better. One thing I can say is that my face feels a lot better than when using the SE. I feel a slight razor burn but minimal compared to the Injector. Not sure if it was because I took my time and went slow I never got one nick, did not draw blood once, not even on the 2nd pass. That is what impressed myself. I also don`t mind the smell of the Van der Hagen soap, which is good because I bought a couple cakes of it when I ordered the razor.

Now the drawback of this is that it is just like auto detailing waxes and sealants here the soaps can be spendy. One soap that gets rave reviews as a slick soap is Martin de Candre at $70 for 200g or about 7 ounces. Comes from France and only one retailer here in the US. There are a number of specialty ones out there at $10 an ounce but to me it is like high end wax, it is just too hard to justify the price, but just like here I wouldn`t mind trying it to see what the hype is all about.
    Dean.
    Likes GearHead_1, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is epic. I`m so going to get back into shaving with a straight razor.

I had to teach myself to shave because my father had passed just as I was hitting puberty and I had just moved so I didn`t know anyone to ask... At first, I was just using water, (LOL) but then I got the hang of it and had friends asking me to help them do their facial hair in no time. I got really good and even got compliments from my hairdressers throughout my teenage years and twenties. After I got married I started to let things slide a little and changed to a short beard that I maintain with regular clippers and a razor to keep it clean.

One thing I learned that I`ll never forget is how to make the hair grow/connect. Like from the mustache to the goatee or from the sideburns to beard. It all started one day back when I was in college when a friend suggested I change things up and do a goatee but I explained how my mustache didn`t connect on the sides. He explained how he had the exact same problem but his grandfather showed him an old trick from Haiti to stimulate hair growth. He used ash and rubbed it into the area where he wanted the hair to grow (twice daily) and after a few months the hair would start to fill in. I was extremely skeptical but eventually tried it and it did work for me (while I was doing it people thought and said all kinds of things). I still wonder sometimes if his grandfather was just messing with us so we`d put ash on our faces or if the ash actually helped. I`ve told the story only to a few close friends and one of them (a Doctor) claims the hair grew because of the stimulation if anything. I`m interested to see if anyone else tried something like this so man up and comment back!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think I could ever do a straight shave. I am nearsighted, shave without my glasses on and it is tough enough. Not sure if the glasses would get in the way but don`t think I have steady enough hands using a cut throat razor.

I can`t say as I have heard about the ash thing. I had worn a goatee for many years. My whisker growth is thin on the side where the mustache and goatee connect but was noticeable. Kind of started to disappear when the grey set in. The whiskers have turned grey for the most part so I have been shaving the chin. I had those skunk stripes on each side going for a while and it also made me look more aged so it had to go.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

"Courage is being afraid but saddling up anyways." - John Wayne
    Likes Stokdgs, 4u2nvinmtl, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Likes Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

"Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wytstang View Post
    witchhazel for after?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Small nicks mostly I use neutrogena razor defense after a shave.
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:
    Likes Ronkh, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wytstang View Post
    Small nicks mostly I use neutrogena razor defense after a shave.
    gotchya
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

[IMG]http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag70/Hiramcastro/652BFBC9-EEAC-4478-A4DF-64D9B1464053_zpsnnc0lf9d.jpg[/IMG]
    Likes Ronkh, trashmanssd, Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dollar Shave Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoushRTC View Post
    Dollar Shave Club
    And a 10" Sears orbital. If that`s what it takes to meet your needs, go for it.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I indicated in an earlier post that I`d report back with my experience using Cremo. I`ve given the Cremo Cream (discussed in previous posts) a shot over the past couple of weeks. Actually used it 5 times using various application methods including as directed on the tube and in combination with both shave oils and soaps. Used new blades and gave it what I felt was a very fair trial run. Each time I felt like I paid for having used it when finished. I and my wife both felt that my shave wasn`t as smooth and my skin ended up red and irritated even the next day out.

In most instances I had to use a 3 pass shave using Cremo instead of my usual 2 pass shave (reloading between passes) to get something that felt acceptable. I don`t ever have this problem when doing a 3 pass shave using my every day products. I`ve got sensitive skin and a beard that is something akin to 8 lb. test fishing line. Believing that no process is perfect, I`d grade my daily routine as an A-, I`d grade the Cremo as a B- minus and shave gels like Gillette`s Egde as only a C. Having said all this I guess I`d have to say that I could get by using only Cremo but having found a regimen that really gives me a baby butt smooth shave on a daily basis, I don`t see myself trading products any time soon.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I indicated in an earlier post that I`d report back with my experience using Cremo. I`ve given the Cremo Cream (discussed in previous posts) a shot over the past couple of weeks. Actually used it 5 times using various application methods including as directed on the tube and in combination with both shave oils and soaps. Used new blades and gave it what I felt was a very fair trial run. Each time I felt like I paid for having used it when finished. I and my wife both felt that my shave wasn`t as smooth and my skin ended up red and irritated even the next day out.

In most instances I had to use a 3 pass shave using Cremo instead of my usual 2 pass shave (reloading between passes) to get something that felt acceptable. I don`t ever have this problem when doing a 3 pass shave using my every day products. I`ve got sensitive skin and a beard that is something akin to 8 lb. test fishing line. Believing that no process is perfect, I`d grade my daily routine as an A-, I`d grade the Cremo as a B- minus and shave gels like Gillette`s Egde as only a C. Having said all this I guess I`d have to say that I could get by using only Cremo but having found a regimen that really gives me a baby butt smooth shave on a daily basis, I don`t see myself trading products any time soon.
    I`ve been using it in shower, and for me seems to do a nice job. As well as doesn`t roll off face while shaving in shower.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread Information