Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about shaving

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Keep em hot before the shave under hot water, it helps a ton.
    Precisely, I find this to be true of all safety razor blades. Though if you look at some of the shave forums you`ll find an almost cult like following of cold shaving. Didn`t work for me. I like shaving in the shower, nice and hot though my no fog mirror recently bit it. It didn`t break the mirror when it fell but it broke one of the hinges. I can probably save it but will likely order another just like it. It lasted several years and I like seeing myself shave.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    It`s a Merkur 34C. Forgot to mention that. I was going to get the Van der Hagen, it was a butterfly type and was just under $20 but had mixed reviews. It is basically my Christmas gift to myself so I splurged a little.

I could not see paying the premium price for a soap like the "Art of Shaving" soap. I was also under the impression that from what I read that the Proraso what a soft or creamy type soap. Maybe will give that a try next. I was looking for a soap that was some what economical and wouldn`t break the bank like some I looked up. The Cremo soap that was mentioned, I read some of the reviews and it looked like a love or hate type shave soap. If I happen to see it in our local drugstore or at the Walmart I frequent I may pick it up to try.

I am a little prone to nick and scrapes with my single edge. So I guess I will need to be a little more causious with the Feather blades. Of course I went the economy route and bought the 50 pack. I try to shave about 3 times a week on average so I will have enough blades for well over a year.

Appreciate the information and looking forward to giving the set a try.
    You can`t go wrong with a Merkur, well... I did not like their slant razor. Merkur`s will last a lifetime. I tried Cremo for the first time tonight. I`m going to put it through the paces. I used it as directed tonight but I`m going to add some of the stuff (shave oil, witch hazel and the normal after shave splash and after shave lotion. I normally do with it over a few shaves and then I`ll tell you what I think. Want to make sure it`s an apples to apples comparison.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Great choice! A word of advice, feathers are the sharpest of all blades. Period. They require zero pressure, just keep it on enough to glide across the surface, anything more an you will cause a nick or two. Also be aware that as sharp as they are, the faster they dull. Be sure to change them every 3-4 shaves, sometimes even less. Also be careful opening each one, they are sharp enough where if you get cut you might not even know it.

That all said, I love feathers and wouldn`t go any other way. Keep em hot before the shave under hot water, it helps a ton.
    Now I was thinking I should have ordered the styptic pen when I was ordering. I know the local drugstore has them so maybe I had better pick one up. I am prone to a knick at least once a shave but I think my technique with the single edge needs refining. I think I am applying a little pressure and think it is from the habit I get when I use the twin blade razor. Those I seem to need to apply slight pressure so I get a close shave with it. I think it carries over to my single edge. It will take about a week as I went the cheap route on shipping. Wasn`t in a hurry to get it. Once I get it and give it a try I will give an update.
    Dean.
    Likes Stokdgs, GearHead_1, Jaddie liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    Well I dont shave my face but my elderly Dad with a bit of dementia just got a new Norelco and he just raves about it!

There is nothing my Dad loves more than a Rueben sandwich,and I hear he was half way done with his sandwich and covered it up and said he wanted to shave (for the second time that day,maybe he forgot he already shaved that day)so he sets up right at the kitchen table and uses his new shaving MIRROR he got for Christmas and goes to town with joy shaving! The wiskers are somehow contained in the shaver .

I thought it was a funny story!!
    DC !!!
    Loved your post !

Wish my dear Father was still around so we could sit at the table..

How nice to get a new Norelco, and a Shaving Mirror.. The Norelco works great with a little time and lots of going against the grain if you want a smoother shave..
    And yes, they flip up and you turn it upside down and tap it lightly in the sink upside down to get all the whiskers out..
    You can probably wash it out with hot water every now and then too, unplugged, etc., first.. I do this to mine occasionally..

I still have a very old but excellent Norelco Speed XL from probably the 80`s that gets used if Im in a hurry and don`t have time to do it in the shower, where as far as I`m concerned, is the absolute best place to shave anyway..
    Dan F
    Likes skibik, ca.detailchick, GearHead_1, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by valleyguy1 View Post
    Heard an ad for Cremo on cable radio and bought a $7 tube at CVS after reading reviews on Amazon. The stuff is amazing. It doesn`t lather up like regular shave cream/soap, you use a tiny amount in comparison, so that it seems like it isn`t enough, but it sure is slippery. Smoothest thing I`ve ever used, and is has a nice smell. I highly recommend it. No irritation or nicks on my neck at all, in fact it`s hard to tell when the blade is getting old. Here`s Amazons reviews.
    Valleyguy1 -

Thanks for the post and info !!

That product is $5.31 for that 6oz tube on Amazon, which is still a little more than Gearhead1 paid for it at his Walmart..
    A great deal if it works out...
    I am also for trying out new things, and if they work and I can do my part to help a new business start out, then Im all for that too..
    Dan F
    Likes GearHead_1, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Use to be big on Art Of Shaving, and still have their stuff in my cabinet, but a month and a half ago I stumbled upon Bevel, I ordered it and out of the 10 or so brands I`ve tried it might be my favorite. Right now it`s subscription based only, 3 monthly payments of $20 on special. Normal price is $30 a month. So it might even be more expensive than AOS which isn`t cheap by any means. If you shave daily it`s suppose to last you 30 days, they definitely don`t give you extra of any of the product. The 1st order you get the handle + brush for free. If you keep the membership going it`s the same monthly price and you get the shaving cream, the balm, the priming oil and I forget how many blades but I think it`s 75 automatically shipped to you every 3 months. The handles the best I`ve ever held, it looks stunning and it`s perfectly weighted. I don`t know where they get the blades from, but they`re better than my Shark Platinums, which is a saying a lot. The only downside is the handle`s so flawless looking I don`t want to use it and mess it up lol. If you look at their web site without them saying it directly, the systems clearly marketed for men of color. I`m not that, but I do get one of the best shaves I`ve ever gotten with it. Once the deal`s over it`ll be back to $30 a month, which isn`t cheap but I will more than likely continue to pay for it. I have thick coarse hair and their blades slice right thru it with zero irritation afterwards. They also include a nice little manual on how to DE shave, I didn`t need this, but for a n00b to DE it`s a cool touch. And while it doesn`t effect the shave, I love the packaging and keep it out on my counter. I have some solid stuff from other companies I love, but keep stored away because of the hideous packaging. The brush didn`t knock me over, but it`s solid and IMHO if you cancel after ordering, $60 for the handle + brush + 3 month supply is not a bad deal at all.

Likes GearHead_1, Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    DC !!!
    Loved your post !

Wish my dear Father was still around so we could sit at the table..

How nice to get a new Norelco, and a Shaving Mirror.. The Norelco works great with a little time and lots of going against the grain if you want a smoother shave..
    And yes, they flip up and you turn it upside down and tap it lightly in the sink upside down to get all the whiskers out..
    You can probably wash it out with hot water every now and then too, unplugged, etc., first.. I do this to mine occasionally..

I still have a very old but excellent Norelco Speed XL from probably the 80`s that gets used if Im in a hurry and don`t have time to do it in the shower, where as far as I`m concerned, is the absolute best place to shave anyway..
    Dan F
    I shaved my dad a couple times with the OLD Norelco and he kept telling me I missed some spots around his ears! I didnt like it because wiskers were everywhere . WE did it outside and had him wrapped up in an old table cloth.

The new one contains the wiskers ,not sure how that is done.

I assumed he couldnt shave himself anymore but as soon as his new one came he shaves himself now . Hmmm LOL i think he loves it too much no matter how difficult it use with his arthritis hands.
    Prayer of St.Francis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ni2...endscreen&NR=1
    Likes Stokdgs, GearHead_1, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

DC,
    I think there should be a little button you can see at the bottom edge of the razor head that holds the 3 blades that you push and it lifts up like the hood on a car, and exposes a place under it where all the whiskers fall into.

On mine, you see that area and the 3 little plastic covered shafts that spin the blades - that`s the place I was referring to that when its open, hold the razor upside down and tap it lightly in the sink, and about all the whiskers fall out..

The 3 blade cutter assemblies are suspended with that part that lifts up..

Under that part that lifts up is another little piece of plastic that moves counter clockwise and will come off, exposing the 3 cutter assemblies, which can come out if you want to then take them apart (the little round blade assembly drops out) and they also separate so you can clean a little in there also..

If your Dad`s razor does this as well, just don`t mix up the cutters and the little cups they go into, because they are designed to run in that little cup that is supposed to also help keep them sharp.. I don`t know how well they do keep them sharp and after awhile, it will take longer to shave and may irritate a bit, and that`s when you know its time to change the 3 cutter assemblies...

Or, just do what you want, and it will still work great for a long time..

Yeah, you are right - we manly-men like to shave ourselves.. Its like a ritual sort of thing - just like we saw our Dad`s doing it when we were little..

Hope your new bizz takes off ! I also see lots and lots of headlights that are really cloudy and in need of a clean up..

Dan F
    Likes ca.detailchick, Jaddie liked this post
    Thanks ca.detailchick thanked for this post
    Dislikes ca.detailchick disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    DC,
    I think there should be a little button you can see at the bottom edge of the razor head that holds the 3 blades that you push and it lifts up like the hood on a car, and exposes a place under it where all the whiskers fall into.

On mine, you see that area and the 3 little plastic covered shafts that spin the blades - that`s the place I was referring to that when its open, hold the razor upside down and tap it lightly in the sink, and about all the whiskers fall out..

The 3 blade cutter assemblies are suspended with that part that lifts up..

Under that part that lifts up is another little piece of plastic that moves counter clockwise and will come off, exposing the 3 cutter assemblies, which can come out if you want to then take them apart (the little round blade assembly drops out) and they also separate so you can clean a little in there also..

If your Dad`s razor does this as well, just don`t mix up the cutters and the little cups they go into, because they are designed to run in that little cup that is supposed to also help keep them sharp.. I don`t know how well they do keep them sharp and after awhile, it will take longer to shave and may irritate a bit, and that`s when you know its time to change the 3 cutter assemblies...

Or, just do what you want, and it will still work great for a long time..

Yeah, you are right - we manly-men like to shave ourselves.. Its like a ritual sort of thing - just like we saw our Dad`s doing it when we were little..

Hope your new bizz takes off ! I also see lots and lots of headlights that are really cloudy and in need of a clean up..

Dan F
    Thanks Dan!

I am not there to see the new Norelco but I googled it to get what you are talking about and saw some pictures.

Thanks for the encouragement on my new bizz!

I am sorry too I did not mean to "dislike" your post and now I do not know how to undo it!
    Prayer of St.Francis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ni2...endscreen&NR=1
    Likes Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My new shaving set up. Getting used to it, but working well so far.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

"Courage is being afraid but saddling up anyways." - John Wayne
    Likes Jaddie liked this post

HOOKED ON THE DETAILS
    Post Thanks / Like

Wife got me a straight razor for Christmas, like I didn`t see through that right away.
    Likes gordonjuan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have guys at work that think I should get into one of these "shave clubs" (Dollar Shave Club). But I find that I am kinda lazy and really only shave about twice a week anymore. So my Gillette Fusions seem to last forever for me. I guess I just never really got into high end shaving.

Post Thanks / Like

When one must shave everyday for work (5-6X week) you have to make it as enjoyable and pain free as possible. A good sharp razor blade (DE, straight razor) will outdo a cartridge based razor all day long. My face would get tore up if I used the cheapie cartridge razors.

Post Thanks / Like

Likes PA DETAILER, Jaddie liked this post

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information