Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about shaving

Heard an ad for Cremo on cable radio and bought a $7 tube at CVS after reading reviews on Amazon. The stuff is amazing. It doesn`t lather up like regular shave cream/soap, you use a tiny amount in comparison, so that it seems like it isn`t enough, but it sure is slippery. Smoothest thing I`ve ever used, and is has a nice smell. I highly recommend it. No irritation or nicks on my neck at all, in fact it`s hard to tell when the blade is getting old. Here`s Amazons reviews.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tried the disposable straight razor today since I`m off and had lots of time... Woah, gonna take practice. Was a bit nerve racking.
    Likes GearHead_1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by valleyguy1 View Post
    Heard an ad for Cremo on cable radio and bought a $7 tube at CVS after reading reviews on Amazon. The stuff is amazing. It doesn`t lather up like regular shave cream/soap, you use a tiny amount in comparison, so that it seems like it isn`t enough, but it sure is slippery. Smoothest thing I`ve ever used, and is has a nice smell. I highly recommend it. No irritation or nicks on my neck at all, in fact it`s hard to tell when the blade is getting old. Here`s Amazons reviews.

Been using it too. Pretty good stuff.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I get a 30% discount with them, so i may have to try it. Gillette makes a clear non foaming shave gel in a tube thats the knees bees! But its hard to find. Its also sold as gillette body.

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Clear Shaving Gel | Gillette USA

And, guess i`ll have to try....

Cremo Cream Shave Cream - CVS.com
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by valleyguy1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Been using it too. Pretty good stuff.

Took you gentlemen`s posts as a recommendation. Picked up some at WalMart today. Can`t complain about the price, it was around $5. I look forward to giving it a shot.

image.jpeg

Might make this scuttle obsolete.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Gillette fusion pro glide shave gel mentioned in the above post clings to your face well. I use it if I`m in a hurry in the morning and shave in the shower. Also makes it easy to see where the razor edge is if you have a goatee, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I took the plunge and going to move from my single edge and going to give the DE a try. Should be an easy ransiton. After a considerablr amount of research and reading and along with some of the suggestions here I have the above 2 items on order. Not sure how I will like the short handle, almost ordered a long handle. Wasn`t sure if I needed a new brush but noticed my Dads old Hegener brush is shedding so opted for the Van der Hagen set. Read the reviews on there soap also and it looked like they got good reviews. I know not all blades are equal but since Feather blades was suggested that is the route I went. I know Proraso was also suggested by a few but not sure if I was interested in a soft soap and thought I would use too much and waste it. Looks like there are a lot of soaps out there with good reviews so I have years, I think, to figure it out. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Dean.
    Likes TuxedoTaurus, The Driver, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well I dont shave my face but my elderly Dad with a bit of dementia just got a new Norelco and he just raves about it!

There is nothing my Dad loves more than a Rueben sandwich,and I hear he was half way done with his sandwich and covered it up and said he wanted to shave (for the second time that day,maybe he forgot he already shaved that day)so he sets up right at the kitchen table and uses his new shaving MIRROR he got for Christmas and goes to town with joy shaving! The wiskers are somehow contained in the shaver .

I thought it was a funny story!!
    Prayer of St.Francis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ni2...endscreen&NR=1
    Likes GearHead_1, The Driver, Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    Well I dont shave my face but my elderly Dad with a bit of dementia just got a new Norelco and he just raves about it!

There is nothing that a Rueben sandwich my Dad loves more ,and I hear he was half way done with his sandwich and covered it up and said he wanted to shave (for the second time that day,maybe he forgot he already shaved that day)so he sets up right at the kitchen table and uses his new shaving MIRROR he got for Christmas and goes to town with joy shaving! The wiskers are somehow contained in the shaver .

I thought it was a funny story!!
    Been many years since I used a Norelco. I would assume the head still flips up on the new model so the whiskers can be cleaned out. Someone that currently owns one may need to chime in. I used to clean mine out after every shave. Same thing when I had the foil shaver, the whole head comes off so you can clean out the blades.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post

I know Proraso was also suggested by a few but not sure if I was interested in a soft soap and thought I would use too much and waste it. Looks like there are a lot of soaps out there with good reviews so I have years, I think, to figure it out. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Glad to see you diving in, I think that`s great. Can`t read the label on the razor, is that Van Der Hagen also?

The soap that comes with your kit should smell like cucumbers, I think. That`s Van Der Hagen`s better soap. This company makes a lesser soap that contains a lot of glycerin (kind of like the Col. Conks or new Williams soaps) and I found it to be a bit tougher to use. Don`t get me wrong these names I`ve mentioned will work too but you have to work a little harder at getting the right mix, if you don`t have enough water they`ll dry on your cheeks in short order. Use enough water so that you don`t have big bubbles in your mug but have it look more like heavy whipped cream.

The puck that I think you`ll be getting works well without a lot of fuss. It`s kind of a refreshing soap. I have some of that in my shave drawer. It`s not terribly expensive but you`ll go through a puck a bit faster than some of the others. When you get to the point of trying other soaps you`ll likely find ones you like a bit more. With respect to Proraso, I too would not recommend using their cream as your primary soap (I do however use it almost every time I shave as a mix), that said their product that comes in a bowl is a fine soap and is not any softer than any other poured soap. It is probably a bit firmer than the puck you`ll be getting but it isn`t a milled soap. They pour their soaps just like PoorBoy`s pours their waxes. The consistency is somewhere between a bar of Dove and a bar of Ivory soap.

Truth is I have a dozen different soaps in my house at most any time and I use one of the Proraso`s most often (I like their sensitive skin version also). I have a couple of $50 soaps (i.e. Kent and the Art of Shaving) that don`t perform any better than Proraso. No, I don`t buy these, they`ve been given to me as gifts. Is Proraso the best? Heck no, maybe, perhaps yes, it`s totally subjectively, your face will tell you. I mean we are talking shave soap here, it`s all going down the drain. No doubt somewhere down the road you`ll want to try a lanolin soap these are very nice also.

Pay attention to your Feather`s, there isn`t a sharper blade out there but I`ve found these blades go away faster than anything else I use. Speaking just for me I`ve found those to be good for two and maybe a third shave and then it`s time for another. I change blades quite frequently but I can usually get 4 and often 5 shaves out of my blades. Don`t find yourself second guessing your newly found techniques, practices or what you believe should be working simply because the blade has lived it`s life. I`ll be interested in your report.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes skibik, Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    Well I dont shave my face
    So... You`ve stopped shaving? I`m kidding of course, good story. It`s nice to see you on the forum again.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes ca.detailchick, Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post

Well, I took the plunge and going to move from my single edge and going to give the DE a try. Should be an easy ransiton. After a considerablr amount of research and reading and along with some of the suggestions here I have the above 2 items on order. Not sure how I will like the short handle, almost ordered a long handle. Wasn`t sure if I needed a new brush but noticed my Dads old Hegener brush is shedding so opted for the Van der Hagen set. Read the reviews on there soap also and it looked like they got good reviews. I know not all blades are equal but since Feather blades was suggested that is the route I went. I know Proraso was also suggested by a few but not sure if I was interested in a soft soap and thought I would use too much and waste it. Looks like there are a lot of soaps out there with good reviews so I have years, I think, to figure it out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Great choice! A word of advice, feathers are the sharpest of all blades. Period. They require zero pressure, just keep it on enough to glide across the surface, anything more an you will cause a nick or two. Also be aware that as sharp as they are, the faster they dull. Be sure to change them every 3-4 shaves, sometimes even less. Also be careful opening each one, they are sharp enough where if you get cut you might not even know it.

That all said, I love feathers and wouldn`t go any other way. Keep em hot before the shave under hot water, it helps a ton.
    Likes skibik, Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know how the wiskers clean out but do know he owned a Norelco for over 10 years that finally died on him and this new one is just a dream to him! he cant stop talking about it! That and his new scooter he zooms around the house in!
    Prayer of St.Francis
    Likes Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Glad to see you diving in, I think that`s great. Can`t read the label on the razor, is that Van Der Hagen also?

The soap that comes with your kit should smell like cucumbers, I think. That`s Van Der Hagen`s better soap. This company makes a lesser soap that contains a lot of glycerin (kind of like the Col. Conks or new Williams soaps) and I found it to be a bit tougher to use. Don`t get me wrong these names I`ve mentioned will work too but you have to work a little harder at getting the right mix, if you don`t have enough water they`ll dry on your cheeks in short order. Use enough water so that you don`t have big bubbles in your mug but have it look more like heavy whipped cream.

The puck that I think you`ll be getting works well without a lot of fuss. It`s kind of a refreshing soap. I have some of that in my shave drawer. It`s not terribly expensive but you`ll go through a puck a bit faster than some of the others. When you get to the point of trying other soaps you`ll likely find ones you like a bit more. With respect to Proraso, I too would not recommend using their cream as your primary soap (I do however use it almost every time I shave as a mix), that said their product that comes in a bowl is a fine soap and is not any softer than any other poured soap. It is probably a bit firmer than the puck you`ll be getting but it isn`t a milled soap. They pour their soaps just like PoorBoy`s pours their waxes. The consistency is somewhere between a bar of Dove and a bar of Ivory soap.

Truth is I have a dozen different soaps in my house at most any time and I use one of the Proraso`s most often (I like their sensitive skin version also). I have a couple of $50 soaps (i.e. Kent and the Art of Shaving) that don`t perform any better than Proraso. No, I don`t buy these, they`ve been given to me as gifts. Is Proraso the best? Heck no, maybe, perhaps yes, it`s totally subjectively, your face will tell you. I mean we are talking shave soap here, it`s all going down the drain. No doubt somewhere down the road you`ll want to try a lanolin soap these are very nice also.

Pay attention to your Feather`s, there isn`t a sharper blade out there but I`ve found these blades go away faster than anything else I use. Speaking just for me I`ve found those to be good for two and maybe a third shave and then it`s time for another. I change blades quite frequently but I can usually get 4 and often 5 shaves out of my blades. Don`t find yourself questioning your newly found techniques or practices simply because the blade has lived it`s life. I`ll be interested in your report.

It`s a Merkur 34C. Forgot to mention that. I was going to get the Van der Hagen, it was a butterfly type and was just under $20 but had mixed reviews. It is basically my Christmas gift to myself so I splurged a little.

I could not see paying the premium price for a soap like the "Art of Shaving" soap. I was also under the impression that from what I read that the Proraso what a soft or creamy type soap. Maybe will give that a try next. I was looking for a soap that was some what economical and wouldn`t break the bank like some I looked up. The Cremo soap that was mentioned, I read some of the reviews and it looked like a love or hate type shave soap. If I happen to see it in our local drugstore or at the Walmart I frequent I may pick it up to try.

I am a little prone to nick and scrapes with my single edge. So I guess I will need to be a little more causious with the Feather blades. Of course I went the economy route and bought the 50 pack. I try to shave about 3 times a week on average so I will have enough blades for well over a year.

Appreciate the information and looking forward to giving the set a try.
    Dean.
    Likes GearHead_1, TuxedoTaurus, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    So... You`ve stopped shaving? I`m kidding of course, good story. It`s nice to see you on the forum again.
    I decided to grow a beard for the winter!
    Prayer of St.Francis
    Likes Jaddie liked this post

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information