Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about shaving

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    You guys with the straight edge blades are nuts! I don`t think I could ever even try one of those. I would probably sneeze while shaving and cut my ear off!

To those that use the double edge like the Merker is there that much of a difference in the blade from the single edge like the Schick I use? I looked into about a year ago when this topic come up about ayear ago and I just ended up buying another pack or two of blades for my current razor. It looks like the cost of a pack of blades costs about a third per blade than what I pay for the Injecta blades. The only problem I see is how do you keep a 50 pack of blades fresh like the ones in the link above?

Another question I have is about soaps. I tried one of those soap pucks or bars, Williams I believe, that was available at the local drugstore but I really didn`t care for it. My dad didn`t have much of a set up but I got the stuff after he passed. His soap mug was just a googly eyed coffee, a soap brush, and the single edge Schick. Now I would be interested to step up my shave game but the soap to me leaves something to be desired. I can nevr get a thick lather from it and if memory serves me riht it dried on my face qickly and before I as able to finish. To which I prefer a sensitive skin shave cream. I even tried some more expensive shave gels in the cans but go back to the cheaper Gillette sensitive foam as it seems I get little to no razor burn from it.

I don`t shave everyday and sometimes go 4 to 6 days without shaving, 2 to 3 day is average. I prefer twin blades but can`t use them on anything over a 3 or 4 day beard. If I use the single edge it seems like I can shave a lot faster with it versus the twin. So all in all I was wondering if the blades a person can get for the double edge are better then what I what I have.

I guess I have spent all I am probably going to spend on detailng my car I could just as well start spending it on detailing my face. I am open to suggestions and opinions.
    I shave 3-4 times a week. I do not shave every day because it`s waste imo. I use electric on the face and a DE/safety blade on the neck. I use the merkur HD, it`s the greatest beginner blade you can get, especially since it doesn`t break bank. You need a specialized quality shave SOAP such as prorazo, very good for sensitive skin, way thicker lather when done right and is MUCH cheaper in the long run. As far as blades, I use feathers, they are disposable and still far cheaper then ANY cartridge out. I get 5x better of a shave with feathers then with schick hydro 3`s which IMO are the best cartridge bar none. You need to get the hang of it, it takes time but once you do you`ll never go back.

Keep your skin moist and warm before a shave.

Lather correctly, thick an even.

Keep the blades hot and fresh/new.

shave with the least amount of pressure possible.

Focus on your angle.

All that will lead to the perfect shave.
    Likes skibik, Stokdgs, GearHead_1, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

"Courage is being afraid but saddling up anyways." - John Wayne
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

"Courage is being afraid but saddling up anyways." - John Wayne
    Likes Ronkh, Hammer208S, Stokdgs, skibik, GearHead_1 and 2 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52split View Post

I like the grip. Bets it`s comfortable,
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs, GearHead_1 liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow - love this thread !!!
    Love looking at all the cool shaving tools !
    Thanks for posting them all up -

I got into Art of Shaving back in 2002, when they were owner- owned, and they had some incredible products AND had a Master Barber in their shops who could give your hair and face an incredible spa treatment, with a straight razor..

What I learned from them and still do today is to use their Lemon Shaving Oil on my heated up face, then their Soap that also has lemon in it, a good brush, and a really good Feather Stainless Steel double-edge Safety Razor with Crystal (made in Israel) blades..

And I do it all in the shower, lots of steam, lots of hot water, easy to rinse off the razor, and I get incredible shaves every time...

Yes, I had to get to know my face using just my hands and touch, to know where and how to avoid any issues, and so far, years later, no problems, just great shaves, everything goes down the drain, no cleaning up the sink, mirror, etc., and I can finish up my shower and I`m good to go..

I don`t use a mirror, once tried those fogless things and threw it away..

The razor and blades I bought on Amazon I believe years ago and I will take years to use up all the blades, but that`s fine for me...

The brush is a really thick badger brush from Art of Shaving with a stainless steel handle, and holder for the brush and razor, all from AofShaving...

I think the key point I got from my experiments were --

Your face has to be heated for awhile to get the whiskers soft..
    At the Art of Shaving barber shop, they put a beautiful, great smelling, new white hot towel on your face for a long time, after they washed it..

The right shaving oil makes a difference for me - keeps my face slippery, and the whiskers soft along with the hot to the touch shaving cream - after - I have stood under the hot water in the shower letting it hit my face...

Logistics - I get my face washed, rinsed, and heated up under the shower, then oil it up, lather it up, and shave away from the showerhead.

When I have finished at least 3 passes, and its really smooth, I get under the shower with the warm water hitting my face and finish up shaving under the water. This really works great at keeping everything warm, wet and slippery...

The great shaving oil is still on my face even after the lather is rinsed off and I can feel around and get anything I missed, etc..

For my needs, the kit I have works great ! I can go all day and not have a bad 5`clock shadow at the end..

The shave this way is so close, my skin feels really smooth and soft, no scrapes, red irritated areas, cuts, etc...

Dan F
    Likes jrock645, The Driver, GearHead_1, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite all time razor is the Gillette sensor (metal handle).

Was well balanced, blades very sharp, didn`t clog fast.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing fancy but it was my dads stuff. I haven`t used the mug or brush in a while but use the razor often. I think I checked at one time on the age of the handle when I got it. I believe it dates back to the mid 50`s. I have no idea what the brush hair is. Has Hegener stamped on it, the word sterilized below it, the number 3 below that. I thought it was a fox hair. I remember hearing that brush clanking around in the mug when Dad was lathering up the brush. I can`t say as my beard ever sounds like his when I remember him shaving, but it sounded like he was using a hunting knife to shave with.

Dean.
    Likes GearHead_1, TuxedoTaurus, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Dude, one word... Etsy

Absolutely the best shaving tools known to man.
    Thinking "best" in shaving is a lot like "best" in detailing. Subjective at the very least. I`m assuming you`re talking about the Etsy web site, am I correct?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    The only problem I see is how do you keep a 50 pack of blades fresh like the ones in the link above?
    Most quality blades come individually wrapped in slightly waxed papers. As long as you don`t submerse them they`ll stay fine for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by skiblk
    Another question I have is about soaps. I tried one of those soap pucks or bars, Williams I believe, that was available at the local drugstore but I really didn`t care for it.
    This is definitely a case where a soap is a soap is a soap can`t be said. Interestingly enough you mentioned Williams. They reformulated their soap maybe 15 years ago. It was known to be a favorite and turned into a sub par performer for the very reasons you mentioned. It dries very quickly on your face and is difficult though not impossible to get a good thick lather. The best advice I can give you when whipping this soap is it takes a lot of product to get a thick lather.

So all in all I was wondering if the blades a person can get for the double edge are better then what I what I have.
    I`ve never used the Schick that you`ve mentioned so I can`t make a legitimate comparison but I would add that razor blades are like car waxes there are a ton of them and they aren`t all the same. Some are extremely sharp like a Feather but I can`t get 3 shaves out that blade others not quite as sharp (Persona) but will go 5 shaves for me. You have to try a few to find your favorite. You can buy many blades in quantities of 100 for less than $20. You`ll get 4 or 5 shaves out of a blade. They are very economical.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes jrock645, Stokdgs, skibik, Jaddie liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, skibik thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been shaving for a bit over 35 years, and have tried dozens of blade/shaving cream combos. Some worked well, some not so well.

Then, about 10 years ago, I discovered the missing ingredient.

Coconut oil.

If you apply coconut oil after wetting your face and before you apply your shaving cream, you will get the smoothest shave you`ve ever had. Even better, you can buy 54 oz. of it from Costco for $16. A little goes a long, long way. I use less than a dime-size amount each time. On top of that, coconut oil is great for your skin, so your face will be as smooth as a freshly-clayed Bentley hood!
    Likes Stokdgs, Detail Impressions, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have enjoyed using Burt`s Bees Shave Cream. It doesn`t get all frothy like most of the soaps do. It provides excellent lubrication, rinses cleanly and has not caused any breakouts. It`s a lotion so I squirt some on the end of the brush and then brush it on.
    Likes Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
    I`ve been shaving for a bit over 35 years, and have tried dozens of blade/shaving cream combos. Some worked well, some not so well.

Then, about 10 years ago, I discovered the missing ingredient.

Coconut oil.

If you apply coconut oil after wetting your face and before you apply your shaving cream, you will get the smoothest shave you`ve ever had. Even better, you can buy 54 oz. of it from Costco for $16. A little goes a long, long way. I use less than a dime-size amount each time. On top of that, coconut oil is great for your skin, so your face will be as smooth as a freshly-clayed Bentley hood!
    This would have to be great !
    Anything as organic as pure coconut oil will really be great for skin - I totally agree..
    Thanks so much for pointing this out..
    And yes, much less expensive than about anything else..
    It also works great as a massage oil..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Just got a bowl of "Art of Shaving" soap for Christmas.

To be honest I`ve never really gotten into it and just used your typical Gillet razor and cream. That being said my wife gave me one of the "Art of Shaving" 4-piece kits with the brush for X-mas after I had tried a sample a few weeks prior. I was surprised at the difference it made. What`s funny is that I looked in the mirror when I was done and thought to myself that I actually looked different. Walked out of the bathroom and the wife looked at me and said the same thing!

The brush seemed to make the shaving cream go further and I think the pre-shave oil is probably what made the biggest difference, since Ive never used one before. I`m sold now!
    Likes Ronkh, GearHead_1, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Test of my stuff- bowl, soap, brush, oil and stand should be here tomorrow. But after a couple shaves, this will take a bit of practice.
    Likes TuxedoTaurus, GearHead_1, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Test of my stuff- bowl, soap, brush, oil and stand should be here tomorrow. But after a couple shaves, this will take a bit of practice.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information