Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about shaving

3 shaves, that’s the best I can do without really noticing degredation in blade performance. I definitely have my favorite when it comes to blades but the end result is much the same, 3 that’s the number. Now that is (3) three pass shaves. So... depending upon how you look at it maybe thats the equivelant of 9 shaves.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

ShaveButter_ColorCorrected_sm.png
    Van Der Hagen shave butter is next on deck after the Edge is gone.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    I dont know how folks get multiple shaves out of blades, I`ve only gotten one maybe one and a half before needing a new blade

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    So much depends on the blade and the individuals beard. I use the German Wilkinson Sword blades or the Persona Lab Blue blades and can get between 3~4, two-pass shaves out of them. When I tried Derby blades they lasted a bit longer, but seemed more dull at the start, so there may have been less of an edge to lose from the beginning.

Post Thanks / Like

Blades are definitely to each his own. A lot of people like the Personna`s both the red and blue, I tried the red`s but they did not like my beard. Polsilver and Voskhod are a couple more that are popular on Badger and Blade and after trying both for me the Polsilver tugged a little and the Voskhod blades I just could not get beyond one cheek they were that bad for me. Not sure why I push the blades but shave number 7 yesterday on the Wilkinson Sword Classic and it was still smooth and will try another shave with it. Although I have spent a lot on razors and soaps I can say the blade is definitely cheap part of it at $.13 for the Permasharp(shipped all the way from India even at $13/100). The Wilkinson Sword is about $.25 per. The Gillette Silver Blue is an okay blade. Another decent blade is Perma Sharp(Russian I think, and not the same as the Gillette), my friend ordered these by mistake thinking they were the ones from India. he couldn`t use them so I donated them to a dude that give them out on B&B.

Funny thing about finding the Gillette Permasharp was from ordering a vintage Gillette razor from the bay and the seller included some with the razor. It made short order of finding the right blade. I found the Wilkinson Sword Classics at the local drugstore.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

I am bring this thread back up. I have looked at it numerous times through the years wondering when this bug would bite me.

Soo. After reading through some pages again and then trying to get to a few having websites. Honestly I am still pretty confused.

Is there just a standard "kit" with decent quality stuff in it that I can pick up online? Am I better off going to Walmart and picking up a safety razor there and just giving it a go after some more YouTube videos?

I am a hands on learner so I know at some point I will just jump in but I don`t want to spend 60 bucks at Walmart to learn that is junk.

How did some of you all jump in?

Thanks

KM

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Real men don`t shave...end of thread
    Likes minerigger liked this post
    Dislikes lloydrm disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes minerigger, wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been loosing bristles out of my brush as it was a cheap my wife got me. What kind and links to it are you guys using and have enjoyed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by screeby View Post
    I am bring this thread back up. I have looked at it numerous times through the years wondering when this bug would bite me.

Soo. After reading through some pages again and then trying to get to a few having websites. Honestly I am still pretty confused.

Is there just a standard "kit" with decent quality stuff in it that I can pick up online? Am I better off going to Walmart and picking up a safety razor there and just giving it a go after some more YouTube videos?

I am a hands on learner so I know at some point I will just jump in but I don`t want to spend 60 bucks at Walmart to learn that is junk.

How did some of you all jump in?

Thanks

KM
    Here’s what I’d recommend. For a good quality safety razor that will last you forever, pick up a Merkur 34c or 38C. For DE blades, get a sample pack. Many sellers including Amazon have packs For $15 that will give you enough variety to find out what works best for your face. West coast shaving has good ones. I started with the razor and a sample pack from west coast shaving online.

Shaving cream is is a preference thing. If you like the gels and foams in a can, you can get those at the grocery store. If you want to try a soap or cream that applies with a brush, there are a lot of options. I like Taylor of Bond Street, available online for less than $20. You will need a brush, and you can get a good entry level one like the Omega banded boar for less than $20. You can apply a cream directly to the brush or whip up a lather in a bowl or mug. Larger shallow mugs are better than coffee mug types. Lots of options out there for very cheap.

Thats is all you need to get started.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting your shaving supplies from a grocery store and/or in kits is no different than with detailing supplies. I would recommend shoping online looking for individual items. I know it is hard when you don`t know what you are looking for. Perhaps I would go to italianbarber.com They have descent synthetic brushes for 15 bucks. I would get started with Proraso cream; a mentholated cream (perfect for the season) that works very well, has been around for ages and sells for less than 10 bucks. Get a couple packs of astra baldes. Then the razor choice becomes harder to nail. If you are willing to invest a bit of miney, I would get a "Game Changer" from italianbarber. Rockwell has a nice razor with interchangable baseplates so you can find the blade gap that works best for you. They come in stainless and chrome versions, and in chrome cheaper but don`t remember how much. If you want to go the less expensive route, I would recommend a vintage gillette "NEW" short comb. You can get one of those for different prices depending on their condition and the honesty of the seller. To get started you should find one for less than 20 bucks on ebay or etsy.
    Let us know when you make up your mind. There might be a learning curve but well worth the effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha. Well the last line there was "there might be a learning curve". I grew impatient and did what I probably shouldn`t have done and swung into Walmart and picked up a vanderhagens razor and their shaving cream.

The only positive I have for the shaving cream was I really liked the smell. Reminded me of my barber shop.

Now the razor. I can tell you I have no clue what I am doing. It showed but I was doing "decent". I had shaved both cheeks. That went well. Felt smooth, no burn. I did below the jaw line and into the neck. Not terrible. But not great. I was moving WAY to fast. I needed to just take my time but I had this new toy and just had to roll with it.

I started around my top lip, worked around to my chin and at some point I cut a chunk out of my chin. It had to be almost 20 seconds later before I realized it. Wow do ya bleed when ya grab a chunk of skin there.

I will try again I think tommorow and also look for different blades and then probably a different razor if I ever get some sorta decent shave.

Oddly enough, I had no nics until my chin. And afterwards my face felt like it was on fire.

While probably unrelated it was odd as I used my same aftershave balm that I have been using for 3 years that works really well for me.

I will also try my regular shaving cream next time.

Finding the right angle proved to be more difficult then planned as well.

Quite a different experience but looking forward to getting it better.

Thanks for those sites fellas I will be looking at those here in the next week.

KM
    Likes lloydrm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hang in there. Sounds like you are on the right track, only need to keep that angle just right. For me the best way is to put the head of the razor against the cheek (handle parallel to the ground), then lower your hand until the blade barely catches stubble. Then no pressure. No pressure at all! Feather light touch and just wipe the lather off your face. First pass with the growth, then lather up again and one pass across. Good luck and have fun.
    Oh, a don`t forget: "the first cut is the deepest ..." and all that.
    Likes screeby, minerigger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Today`s shave was much better then the 1st shave. Used probably negative pressure at times it felt. I am probably gun shy and I can promise I was "more reckless" with they old Shick Hydro.

I can tell there is a light at the end of the tunnel but that thing is a ways off. In the mean time I am scoping a couple sites and trying to figure out how to buy that and new detailing supplies that I need...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    I`ve been loosing bristles out of my brush as it was a cheap my wife got me. What kind and links to it are you guys using and have enjoyed?

I`m using the Semogue 1250. After going through a couple cheaper bruches which shed all over the place, I decided to pay a bit more and it was worth it. Right now on Amazon you can get one for under $20 and should last for a long time. I lost a few (very few) bristles when it was new, but they tell you to expect that. After a couple of weeks you won`t lose any at all.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Even though I have enough razors I also just picked up one of those Van der Hagen razors and it works quite nice but you may want to try other blades though. Everyone seems to have there blades they like. For me my favorites are Gillette Peramsharp(made on India and purchased on eBay direct from a seller in that country) and Wilkinson Sword(made in Germany), Feathers are another decent one I use. I did use one of those Van der Hagen blades that come with the razor and it worked for me but I didn`t care for it.

One thing to keep in mind, which you may have found out, is to use little to no pressure on the razor. Let the razor do the work.

Websites for ordering are numerous. West Coast shaving, Italian Barber, Q brothers/Merz apothecary, Maggards Razors, Top of the Chain to name a few.

For good reading material there is Badger and Blade forums. For a good YouTube I used to watch PaulHFilms, he in the UK but he is quite entertaining.
    Dean.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread Information