Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about shaving

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    So this thread has me convinced I need to try old-school shaving, prompted by my Grandfather giving my my great-grandafther`s mug and shaving brush.

I know a DE saftey razor is where to start - which one? Merkur 34c? any other recommendations?

It`s Barbasol and Mach 3 turbo for me right now... I`m thinking anything will be an upgrade. Thanks gents.
    It is better and I started after reading this thread January 2 years ago and have not used a disposable since.

Merkur 34c is a good razor, I don`t even use mine anymore and have gone vintage instead. Edwin Jagger DE89 I have heard is another good razor. The 34c is kind of s stubby or shorter handled razor. If you don`t want to spend close to $40 on a new razor you could try a Feather Popular. Never tried one but I think it runs around $20.

Blades are another topic and to each his own but if you have a mom and pop type drugstore they should have Wilkinson Sword Classics for a buck and change for 5 blades.

If your brush you inherited is shedding a lot of hair you just might want to park it. I went Silvertip badger hair brush but they get costly for starting out so try a synthetic brush. I have one and they are super soft.

Soap, give Van Der Hagen Luxury soap a try if is like $3 to $4 at Walmart. I like it but have since found better scented soaps out there.

It will take a little time to get the lather process down. Also, if you are pressed for time it does take a little longer to shave the "old school way". What took me 8 to 10 minutes before with the canned stuff and a twin now takes 15 to 20 minutes because of the lather process and the extra clean up afterwards. I actually enjoy the process again.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Dean.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dean, you’ve come a long way in the shaving arena. Now the resident “Go To Guy”. Old school’s great isn’t it?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

After 30 some years of doing it and now the renewed interest in it I actually don`t mind doing it now even though it takes a little longer.

Just like finding this forum I found Badger and Blade and have gone overboard in the soap/cream department. I have a few more razors than I really need but only have a few brushes of which one is my Dad`s that is shedding that I don`t use, one is a plain badger that I only use to do test lather now and then and my regular use is a Silvertip badger and a synthetic I use for hard soaps that I can put a little pressure on without having to worry about ruining or breaking hair on the badger.

I never knew there was so much out there and before I found this old style shaving I was going through the motions. Actually was down to once a week since i was getting so much irritation and nicks I figured why bother. Last week, for the first time in over 2 years, I went the whole week without shaving as it seemed like I was getting some razor bumps. Seemed to clear up now so back to every 2 to 3 days.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish i could skip days shaving. Every now and again, ill skip if i have a short day at work and its a 6 day week. Shaving 6 days a week is tough on the face so i try to avoid it if i can. I dont grow a real heavy beard, but by the afternoon of the day ive skipped its definitely noticeable enough that i cant really yet away with it.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021

Thread Information