Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about shaving

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Several of us on here have discussed and still participate in "old school" shaving. There are a couple of threads on here about this very subject. I have a number of straight razors and love them though admittedly I use Merkur double edges day in and day out.

YES!

START WITH THE BASICS!

MERKUR HD
    Amazon.com : Merkur Heavy Duty Double Edge Razor (Blade Included) : Beauty

FEATHER BLADES
    Amazon.com : Feather Double Edge Blades, 50 Count : Razor Blades : Beauty

Shaving cream
    Amazon.com: Proraso Shave Soap, Sensitive, 150ml/5.2 oz (147 g) Jar: Beauty

That`s all ya need! The best beginner setup period!

For electric, I use this. I don`t know which braun you used but the 7 series are NOT anything like the rest. They are a completely different caliber, I used tons of different ones including braun 3 an 1 series. Once I tried the 7 it was no contest. Find one that fell off the back of a truck on eBay...
    Amazon.com: Braun Series 7-720 Men`s Shaver 1 Count: Health & Personal Care
    Likes jrock645, Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post
    Thanks Jaddie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Just got a bowl of "Art of Shaving" soap for Christmas.
    Dude, one word... Etsy

Absolutely the best shaving tools known to man.
    Likes jrock645, GearHead_1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a pretty deep rabbit hole, just like detailing!
    Thanks TuxedoTaurus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You guys with the straight edge blades are nuts! I don`t think I could ever even try one of those. I would probably sneeze while shaving and cut my ear off!

To those that use the double edge like the Merker is there that much of a difference in the blade from the single edge like the Schick I use? I looked into about a year ago when this topic come up about ayear ago and I just ended up buying another pack or two of blades for my current razor. It looks like the cost of a pack of blades costs about a third per blade than what I pay for the Injecta blades. The only problem I see is how do you keep a 50 pack of blades fresh like the ones in the link above?

Another question I have is about soaps. I tried one of those soap pucks or bars, Williams I believe, that was available at the local drugstore but I really didn`t care for it. My dad didn`t have much of a set up but I got the stuff after he passed. His soap mug was just a googly eyed coffee, a soap brush, and the single edge Schick. Now I would be interested to step up my shave game but the soap to me leaves something to be desired. I can nevr get a thick lather from it and if memory serves me riht it dried on my face qickly and before I as able to finish. To which I prefer a sensitive skin shave cream. I even tried some more expensive shave gels in the cans but go back to the cheaper Gillette sensitive foam as it seems I get little to no razor burn from it.

I don`t shave everyday and sometimes go 4 to 6 days without shaving, 2 to 3 day is average. I prefer twin blades but can`t use them on anything over a 3 or 4 day beard. If I use the single edge it seems like I can shave a lot faster with it versus the twin. So all in all I was wondering if the blades a person can get for the double edge are better then what I what I have.

I guess I have spent all I am probably going to spend on detailng my car I could just as well start spending it on detailing my face. I am open to suggestions and opinions.
    Dean.
    Likes Stokdgs, GearHead_1, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I lurk a whole lot more here than I will ever post, but this subject caught my attention.

I have somewhat sensitive skin and am very prone to ingrown hairs. After talking to my doctor several years ago, he suggested wet shaving and see what happens. I tried it, and haven`t looked back. Far more economical than cartridge shaving, and not the quite the fear of blood-letting that a straight razor can invoke.

I use a Merkur HD razor with Feather blades, and old Geo Trumper badger brush that my dad handed down to me, and Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream (several scents). I wouldn`t say I`m addicted, but on a trip to New York City last week, I stopped at Pasteur Pharmacy (known for it`s shaving selection) and stocked up on things. TOBS cream was running $14/container, which lasts me nearly six months.

Oh yeah, my complexion cleared up and ingrown hairs are nearly non-existent.

Gordon
    Likes The Driver, Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gordonjuan View Post
    I lurk a whole lot more here than I will ever post, but this subject caught my attention.

I have somewhat sensitive skin and am very prone to ingrown hairs. After talking to my doctor several years ago, he suggested wet shaving and see what happens. I tried it, and haven`t looked back. Far more economical than cartridge shaving, and not the quite the fear of blood-letting that a straight razor can invoke.

Oh yeah, my complexion cleared up and ingrown hairs are nearly non-existent.

Gordon
    Same here. I use the double edged blades and it`s really relaxing. I have been keeping short trimmed facial hair for a while but I still shave my neck like this and it`s great. Another thing that`s just extremely satisfying to do with care and precision.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another huge fan of Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream. And wouldn`t be without Proraso after shave lotion, it gives a smooth feel to the skin that lasts all day. I use a Merkur 34 razor and for blades it really depends on your skin/beard. I bought a sample pack of blades from West Coast Shaving, and you do get a different feel and performance from different blades. My go to are Personna platinum, but the feather cut better if I haven`t shaved in a few days.

Still too intimidated by the straight razor to buy one.
    Likes Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

"Courage is being afraid but saddling up anyways." - John Wayne
    Likes Hammer208S, Stokdgs, RaskyR1, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    You guys with the straight edge blades are nuts! I don`t think I could ever even try one of those. I would probably sneeze while shaving and cut my ear off!

To those that use the double edge like the Merker is there that much of a difference in the blade from the single edge like the Schick I use? I looked into about a year ago when this topic come up about ayear ago and I just ended up buying another pack or two of blades for my current razor. It looks like the cost of a pack of blades costs about a third per blade than what I pay for the Injecta blades. The only problem I see is how do you keep a 50 pack of blades fresh like the ones in the link above?

Another question I have is about soaps. I tried one of those soap pucks or bars, Williams I believe, that was available at the local drugstore but I really didn`t care for it. My dad didn`t have much of a set up but I got the stuff after he passed. His soap mug was just a googly eyed coffee, a soap brush, and the single edge Schick. Now I would be interested to step up my shave game but the soap to me leaves something to be desired. I can nevr get a thick lather from it and if memory serves me riht it dried on my face qickly and before I as able to finish. To which I prefer a sensitive skin shave cream. I even tried some more expensive shave gels in the cans but go back to the cheaper Gillette sensitive foam as it seems I get little to no razor burn from it.

I don`t shave everyday and sometimes go 4 to 6 days without shaving, 2 to 3 day is average. I prefer twin blades but can`t use them on anything over a 3 or 4 day beard. If I use the single edge it seems like I can shave a lot faster with it versus the twin. So all in all I was wondering if the blades a person can get for the double edge are better then what I what I have.

I guess I have spent all I am probably going to spend on detailng my car I could just as well start spending it on detailing my face. I am open to suggestions and opinions.
    For soap the Williams is a love or hate. I can get a good lather with a little work.

I poor enough HOT water other soap to have a thin layer covering the top. I fill my bowl with hot water and soak a boars(or a badger with a stiffer back bone) hairs brush in it. I then shower. I will then empty the lather bowel, and shake the brush twice in the sink. I pour the water from the soap in the sink. I then load my brush bw swirling over the soap for about a minute. Then build lather in the bowl.

I would also suggest try another quality soap.

As far as blade I buy in packs of hundred. They come in either individual tucks of 5 or 10 blades. I will store them in a quart size zip lock brand bag to keep moisture away.

Here is my shave today ( the razor is a Merkur Barber (long handle) pole model.

Plisson is a great travel brush, being synthetic it dries in less time.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
    Likes jrock645, skibik, Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gordonjuan View Post

I have somewhat sensitive skin and am very prone to ingrown hairs....[I switched to..]..[and].. my complexion cleared up and ingrown hairs are nearly non-existent.
    That caught my eye as I`m very prone to ingrown facial hair too. Glad you got it sorted out, and once again I find it interesting how experiences differ; after shaving wet for a long time, I found that, to my surprisem, I do best shaving with an electric as long as I don`t press hard enough for a "really close" shave. Downside is that I sometimes have to shave twice a day and each shave takes quite a while. But it did sort out the ingrown hair issue that I struggled with for ages.

Still using an old Braun, on its third or fourth set of replacement batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Rally tough shaving right now with the bells palsey
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Rally tough shaving right now with the bells palsey
    Oh wow, I bet it is! Didn`t know you were going through that...[wishes for rapid resolution].

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Oh wow, I bet it is! Didn`t know you were going through that...[wishes for rapid resolution].
    Thanks
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tuxedo Taurus for the suggestons. I might have to try a different soap. I will have to dig out or find my dads mug and brush. Even though I like the convenience of shave cream in the can as I get older I like the idea of shaving old school style. I was never the type to buy into the must have latest and greatest blades. Even though I like my twin blade I do like the single for when I go the extra time between shaves. I was never one to buy into the idea that more than 2 blades were necessary and my thoughts were it is a waste of money. It might take a while but once I use up my blades for the Schick I might have to look into replacing it with e double edge. Appreciate the help.

Thanks.
    Dean.
    Likes TuxedoTaurus, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    Thanks Tuxedo Taurus for the suggestons. I might have to try a different soap. I will have to dig out or find my dads mug and brush. Even though I like the convenience of shave cream in the can as I get older I like the idea of shaving old school style. I was never the type to buy into the must have latest and greatest blades. Even though I like my twin blade I do like the single for when I go the extra time between shaves. I was never one to buy into the idea that more than 2 blades were necessary and my thoughts were it is a waste of money. It might take a while but once I use up my blades for the Schick I might have to look into replacing it with e double edge. Appreciate the help.

Thanks.
    You could also try a good cream.

I told myself it was to save money also, but soaps and creams are like lsp`s.

I was in Merz Apothecary in Chicago and spent $300, so little nervous about the Grooming Lounge.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information