Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about shaving

About out of the EMJ shave cream. Got a fantastic deal yesterday on MAN CAVE shave gel. I`ll post back how that does.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jatleson View Post
    So I read through this book of a topic....wow. Great content and the difference a good shave setup makes vs. what I had...holy cow!!. I`m still experimenting with blades, but the crystal and astra are great, edge to the crystal. I`m using the Van Der Hagen long handle razor, brush and soap. Also used the Proraso soap. All good. I actually look forward to a good shave!!
    I have been away for over a month and noticed this thread revived for a few posts.

Van der Hagen makes a nice Luxury soap. I don`t have the razor but have a few vintage Gillette that I shave with regularly. I just got in the vintage tin set of Proraso Red(Sandalwood) and it is a nice scent. First shave today was nice but need a couple more shaves with it to dial in the soap/water ratio. I had their white tub but didn`t care for the hint of Menthol in it. I didn`t realize it when I ordered this one that it also has Menthol but it is not noticeable though. The aftershave is left my skin a little tacky but I may have put it on heavy.

If you want some good reading check out Badger and Blade forums. I spend most of my forum time over there since I lost interest in detailing. Bad thing about spending time on that forum is that my supply of shaving related stuff has grown exponentially. Same thing happened to me here with detailing products so it looks like I need to slow down on my time over there now.

I see you live in Chicago, you should check out Q Brothers Apothecary. There online store is Smallflower. I would love to visit their store but I would have to leave my wallet at home.

Happy shaves!
    Dean.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dean, Since you mentioned Proraso, I’ll just throw this out. I’ve found that people either like lime fragrance or they don’t, no middle ground. I like lime fragrance but anyone that’s tried to find the perfect lime knows the high tones of the lime just don’t last. That said, Proroaso’s New Single Blade (Blue) Azur Lime Cologne and Shave Balm are some of my favorites and hang around faintly for a respectable amount of time. I probably shave with more Proraso products than any other, like you my shaving supplies cabinets and drawers look like my detailing product cabinets.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Tc99m, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Badger and Blade is a great resource for shaving info.

I`ve been using and old school safety razor for several years now. Whenever I travel, I keep a modern, "normal" razor in my kit. I`m always surprised at how poor a shave the modern razor delivers.

For soaps I started with a couple tubs of Proraso Green, but then discovered a small company called Soap Commander. Through talking to the owner of the company, I found we have/had a similar professional background and I`ve been a customer ever since. They make great soaps for a very reasonable price.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know anything about this Occam’s razor that just came out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Anyone know anything about this Occam’s razor that just came out?
    I’ve seen very “few assumptions” on that product.

Seriously though, I’ve never tried and injector type razor and though this doesn’t really fall into that category being forced to use those type blades is kind of a turn off for me. It’s an interesting concept none the less and it is cheaper than the metal One Blade razor.

Here’s a vid on it.

https://youtu.be/w39ovP-tUAs
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Dean, Since you mentioned Proraso, I’ll just throw this out. I’ve found that people either like lime fragrance or they don’t, no middle ground. I like lime fragrance but anyone that’s tried to find the perfect lime knows the high tones of the lime just don’t last. That said, Proroaso’s New Single Blade (Blue) Azur Lime Cologne and Shave Balm are some of my favorites and hang around faintly for a respectable amount of time. I probably shave with more Proraso products than any other, like you my shaving supplies cabinets and drawers look like my detailing product cabinets.
    I was looking at that new line a while back and I was interested in the Wood and Spice but the places I order from only have the big tube so I just couldn`t pull the trigger. Not sure if Proraso sells it in the small tube.

I have tried two lime soaps, Geo F. Trumpers Limes cream and Captain`s Choice Lime soap. The Geo F Trumpers upon opening the jar reminded me of a perfume my Mom used to where but once it is lathered up it has a nice scent but hard to say it smells like lime but I really like the scent. Now the Captain`s Choice Lime soap on the other hand has an off putting smell in the tub but once lathered up has a nice citrus lime scent. I bought the matching Captain`s Choice Lime aftershave and even though it smells nice going on the scent is all but gone after a few minutes. I would like it to last a couple hours.

My favorite soap is Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica(Fern). Their soap is about the best performing soap I have found. I also have it in the 70th Anniversary and the limited edition Green tin Felce Aromatica. I have a soap made by Saponificio Varesino for Asylum Brush Works in Colonia scent(kind of a fresh cologne scent). These are great soaps.

I could go on but better stop here.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Badger and Blade is a great resource for shaving info.

I`ve been using and old school safety razor for several years now. Whenever I travel, I keep a modern, "normal" razor in my kit. I`m always surprised at how poor a shave the modern razor delivers.

For soaps I started with a couple tubs of Proraso Green, but then discovered a small company called Soap Commander. Through talking to the owner of the company, I found we have/had a similar professional background and I`ve been a customer ever since. They make great soaps for a very reasonable price.
    I have 2 soaps from Soap Commander. My first was Confidence, Honey, Musk and Patchouli. It has a nice sweet smell to it. At first it didn`t appeal to me but after using it a few times I now really like it. The other is Endurance. On B&B I always hear about the Old Spice of yesteryear and too bad they don`t make it anymore and so on. I then heard that Endurance was supposed to be very close to that scent so I had to have it and the aftershave balm. Now I have some vintage Old Spice cologne and I don`t think the scent is all that similar but I do like them a lot. They do have a good soap but it falls a tiny but short in performance, that may have to my hard water. To rectify that short coming I do load up the soap a little heavier which seems to help.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the blade lane thing kills it for me, too. Up front price is also pretty steep. It’d have to be a real miracle product for that.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I’ve seen very “few assumptions” on that product.

Seriously though, I’ve never tried and injector type razor and though this doesn’t really fall into that category being forced to use those type blades is kind of a turn off for me. It’s an interesting concept none the less and it is cheaper than the metal One Blade razor.

Here’s a vid on it.

https://youtu.be/w39ovP-tUAs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    I have 2 soaps from Soap Commander. My first was Confidence, Honey, Musk and Patchouli. It has a nice sweet smell to it. At first it didn`t appeal to me but after using it a few times I now really like it. The other is Endurance. On B&B I always hear about the Old Spice of yesteryear and too bad they don`t make it anymore and so on. I then heard that Endurance was supposed to be very close to that scent so I had to have it and the aftershave balm. Now I have some vintage Old Spice cologne and I don`t think the scent is all that similar but I do like them a lot. They do have a good soap but it falls a tiny but short in performance, that may have to my hard water. To rectify that short coming I do load up the soap a little heavier which seems to help.
    I really like Passion and several of their seasonal scents over the years. I just finished a tub of Vision, but got tired of that fairly quickly.

I`m working on a couple seasonals right now, but when I need to make another order I`m going to try Honor. I didn`t think I`d like it, but I got a sample of the aftershave with my last order which my wife loved and I found it pretty pleasant too.

Post Thanks / Like

On a whim and a $3 off coupon, I stepped up to the Gillette Fusion proshield. Loaded with a chill cartridge. I have had no issue with the cheaper disposables, but wanted to try this razor. Guess I am lucky. I can get away with 2 shaves per week. One on Monday and another on Friday. I will post my results with this razor.

https://gillette.com/en-us/about-gil...PromoContainer
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a beard type of guy......purchased a bling Panasonic beard trimmer. Cost me a pretty penny and I now know why. Bonus points I suppose. It was not made in the usual PRC but made in Japan, per the box.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, have to give the Gillette a honest review. WOW! That has to be the closest shave I ever got from a handled razor. Used it with Every Man Jack shaving cream. Did not get one nick. The built in edge trimmer is great for sideburns and defining edges. I did not notice any cooling effect with the chill cartridge. The flex ball technology does make a difference. Finished with Aqua Velva 5 in 1 after shave balm. I believe they claim 1 month on a cartridge if you shave 4 times per week. Of course the refills are stupid expensive. But I see I already got a $4 off register coupon for the replacement blades. Have to admit, it is one heck of a shaver. I would love to see the results with this used with the CREMO shave cream!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

The MAN CAVE shave gel was a bust. Real thick and reminded me of putty. Really bad product. Got me a fresh new tube of the original CREMO.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I heard the word Cremo I think my face starts to spontaneously com-bust. It is like I can almost feel it burning my face.

I picked up some Truefitt & Hill - West Indian Limes, Myrsol - Blue shave cream, Razorock - Blue Barbershop and some Taylor of Old Bond Street - Mr. Taylors shave cream over Christmas. The first two I have yet to try and the latter two are both real nice soaps/creams and they all smell great. For two years since I found this thread I can say 95% of the time I look forward to the next shave.

Bad thing is since I found this two years ago I dove into this headfirst and just like detailing I have enough stuff to last a lifetime and then some.
    Dean.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread Information