Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about shaving

I started researching DE safety razors a while back, then got sidetracked with other stuff going on in life.

I did ditch the Fusion 5 blade for the trusty Mach 3 turbo. Soooooo much less irritation (wondering why I even went to the Fusion in the first place).

I`m finding with razors, more blades are not better.
    Likes Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s what wife surprised me with on Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes nickclark08, The Driver, Tc99m, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very good. You like?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Very good. You like?
    I do it`s lot different than the mach5 I was using but some spots I couldn`t get I can now. The blade that came with razor sucked but the replacement blades she bought, astra I think, are really nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes lloydrm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised to see this thread is still active. This thread got me started a year ago and I have had wonderful shaves since I started DE shaving. Sure I have had some bad ones since I started but for the most part I love it.

Lots of different blades out there. I been through about a dozen different ones over the year and ordered 100 Gillette 7 o`clock Permasharp direct from India. A blade I personally find sharp and smooth. Soaps can get expensive but once you find something you like stick with it. I have acquired a few vintage razors, which a couple are in my birth year. One of which has been re-plated in rose gold so it looks like it was just made. The other couple razors look brand new for being over 50 years old.
    Dean.
    Likes jrock645, lloydrm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    Surprised to see this thread is still active. This thread got me started a year ago and I have had wonderful shaves since I started DE shaving. Sure I have had some bad ones since I started but for the most part I love it.

Lots of different blades out there. I been through about a dozen different ones over the year and ordered 100 Gillette 7 o`clock Permasharp direct from India. A blade I personally find sharp and smooth. Soaps can get expensive but once you find something you like stick with it. I have acquired a few vintage razors, which a couple are in my birth year. One of which has been re-plated in rose gold so it looks like it was just made. The other couple razors look brand new for being over 50 years old.
    you got any soaps you recommend

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t switched razors yet but recently switched to Billy Jealousy Hydroplane shave cream. Very little is required but gives me the smoothest shave without irritation. I can only imagine what it will be like once I ditch traditional razors.
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    I really enjoy Proraso Shaving Soap and Creams. I also recommend Men`s Soap Company Himalaya soap.
    Likes The Driver, lloydrm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this will be my birthday present this year. Get a nice old school DE safety razor set up. I have only used a real razor 4-5 times in last 20 years. I use a trimmer only back to 5 o`clock shadow, thats as close as my shave gets.

Post Thanks / Like

I also love Proraso but I`m going to try the billy jealousy too.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Proraso (green tub) is my go to soap. I don`t like their cream as much. Original formula is my favorite. I probably have a dozen different soaps but I alwalys go back to Proraso.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    Well, soap is one of those that every person is different. What I might suggest you might not like. I can list what I tried and my brief experience with them.

My problem was finding soaps that I didn`t get a burning reaction from. If you have no allergies my first question would be do you prefer vegan or tallow based. Tallow uses an animal fat of some sort but it does leave your skin feeling moisturized post shave. I prefer vegan as I don`t care for the feeling. There are a lot of soaps out there and that leaves the next question of budget as soaps range from as low as $1 and change(Williams mug soap) to $75(Martin de Candre, Xpec).

Here is a list of soaps I tried and my thoughts:
    Tallow:
    Williams mug soap - this has been around since time began, most drugstores carry it. Not easy to lather but once you learn it not bad but not my cup of tea. Scent is off putting

Mitchells Wool Fat - this is another one that is somewhat hard to lather but is a real nice soap. I didn`t care for the post shave feel.

Cella - this one isn`t quite as bad to lather. Has a nice post shave feel. Has a cherry cordial type smell. This soap you need to use frequently as I just tossed mine out because it went rancid. I had it for about 9 months. But with 8 to 10 soaps in rotation I wasn`t using it enough.

Proraso - another good soap that I believe is tallow based. Lathers easy nice post shave feel. I tried the white tub(Sensitive skin) but it has touch of menthol in it and I didn`t care for it.

Vegan:
    Godrej - bought direct from India at the same time I purchased a 100 blade pack of Gillette 7 o`clock Permasharp blades. I bought two pucks. Got to try it on Sunday it for the money it is quite nice. It has two drawbacks, first is the scent is kind of like industrial cleaner and the other is the puck and the container is way too small to draw a lather from. Good performance and slickness though.

Van Der Hagen Luxury - My go to soap. I have the scented and it has kind of a clean somewhat cucumber smell. I don`t mind the scent but love the ease of lathering and the slickness/performance. It can be found at Walmart for around $4.

Mama Bears soap - I have a bay rum and an aged spice(Old Spice soap. It is an okay soap that I haven`t used much but does work decent and easy to lather. Priced around $11 a tub.

Soap Commander - I have the confidence scent(Honey Patchouli and musk) similar to a bay rum scent. Another soap that is easy to lather and has good slickness and performance. Priced around $15 a tub.

Captain`s Choice - Just acquired this soap and love the bay rum and it is an all around great soap. I also have the sandalwood scent but seemed to be lacking the slickness and performance. I am judging this on only one shave though and should give it a few more tries.

Saponifio Varesino - I have the Felce Aromatica(fern) scent. I totally love this soap and have been savoring the shaves since it isn`t exactly cheap at around $25 for a refill puck, more if you order it with a would shave bowl. I would like to try their other scent s but with the amount of soap I have I just can`t buy anymore.

Martin de Candre - This soap comes from France and it has a following like you wouldn`t believe. The biggest drawback is it costs about $65 for a jar delivered to the states. The jar does last forever it would seem. I didn`t care for the performance/slickness of it. The other thing is it seemed like after you made the pass with the razor your skin would feel tacky. I sold this soap and figured it cost me just under a buck a shave to try it.

I also have 3 creams, Derby Lavender, Old Spice Musk and Palmolive in the green tube. All these are fairly reasonable are are quite easy to lather since they are in cream form. Unless you prefer face lathering a bowl for lathering is highly recommended to control how much water you need to add.

I would suggest trying samples of soaps if you are not sure what you like or would like. A lot of the soaps makers sell them. I believe Soap Commander does, Stirling soaps I know does(Tallow soap and as you have read I am staying away from them). I think shave store like Maggards I think sells samples of various makers of soaps. A couple of the soaps I mentioned I sold in a lot with some not worth mentioning. Check out Badger and Blade forums if you haven`t found it already. Sorry for being long winded. If you have any questions post here or feel free to PM me.
    Dean.
    Likes lloydrm liked this post
    Thanks The Driver thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve beeen using this caffeine shave cream lately. Tried it becaus I was just intrigued, didn`t expect much. I like it a lot! Very creamy and leaves my skin feeling great afterwards. I thought the caffeine thing was a gimmick but it really does leave my skin feeling tighter and smoother.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I`ve beeen using this caffeine shave cream lately. Tried it becaus I was just intrigued, didn`t expect much. I like it a lot! Very creamy and leaves my skin feeling great afterwards. I thought the caffeine thing was a gimmick but it really does leave my skin feeling tighter and smoother.
    Name?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I prefer shave soaps as in a puck of soap. That said, Proraso`s cream is also pretty good. Their formula is sold under the banner of C.O. Bigelow at Bath and Body Works. If you watch their specials you can get 2, 5.2 oz tubes of this for about $10. They also sell a couple of differnt fragrances of body wash under the Bigelow nameplate. Just thought I`d throw this out there.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread Information