Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about shaving

Haven`t been hanging around this forum in a while and seen this was active again. Been active on Badger and Blade forums.

I got such bad razor burn with Cremo Cream Original and I couldn`t use it. I have to admit they have great customer service and I complained to them about my problem and they thought that the tube may have gone bad in transit may have froze since I bought it when I started this adventure. They wanted to send me a new tube to try but I requested they send me a tube of cooling instead and they obliged, they also sent me a bottle of there moisturizing cream. I tried the cooling and that burned my face also. I sent them an update and they wanted to refund my money but I told them it wasn`t necessary since they went above and beyond already.

I am still working through some different blade samples but really like the Gillette 7 o`clock Permasharp and Wilkinson Sword Classic(Germany) so far are at the top of my list. The Merkur and Feathers are a decent blade and are up towards the top. Gillette Wilkinson Sword(India) are a good blade. Don`t like Topaz, Shark, any Personna, Derby to name a few.

Soaps, my go to soap is Van Der Hagen Luxury. Have tried and sold a few and Cella, Wickham Soap Co. Russian Leather and Saponificio Verasino Felce Aromatica are right up there. I even bought highly regarded Martin de Candre Fougere which is a decent soap but it is overpriced in my book but a soap that I figured I had to buy and try it. I am on the verge of selling I think.

I can say most shaves have been a pleasure since I started this year and some not so pleasurable due to trying blades or soaps that don`t work with my face and beard.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

I may have to look into some of those blades. Personna has given me a rough go here lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I may have to look into some of those blades. Personna has given me a rough go here lately.
    If you have a local drugstore, not a retail chain, see if they have Wilkinson Sword Classic blades. They are a smooth blade. If you have to order online there is a website called "tryablade" where you can order single blades of just about all the blades made. Not a cheap route but gives you a chance to try blades without having to buy a full packs because some full packs come 10 per. I ordered a sampler pack from one of the online shave shops. The pack I got was mainly blades from India but did come with the Astra SP which is German but I didn`t care for them when my friend gave me one but I opened the pack and going to give them another go around. That Sampler also came with Derby blades which are from Turkey and those weren`t that great on my face either.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    UPDATE:
    Been using the CREMO shave creme for months now. This stuff just gets it! The most amazing shave creme ever!! I like their latest TV spot. " Maybe it`s not the razor you using, but your choice of shave creme?" I have experienced the best shave time after time with this stuff.
    Excellent product! I`ve tried other crème type products from a tube. Cremo is the best of what I`ve sampled so far. I`ve been using it for about 1.5 yrs. I can find it at my grocery store and W*mart. I prefer the basic product, not the cooling version.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Upon grocery shopping today, I was glad to see Giant Eagle starting carrying CREMO. $7.99 A tube. Picked one up to backstock. I think it`s cheaper at walmart tho.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a fresh tube of Cremo yesterday. It was $6.50 + tax.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

I`m glad you guys are having such great success with Cremo. I tried it every way I could think of including following the directions exactly. Just couldn`t get this product to perform for me.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve found that blade performance varies with a persons skin and beard. Also to an extent with the cream or soap used. Sample packs are they way to go in order to find what works for your face. Personna have been my go to, but lately I have been liking Kai blades from Japan. A bit expensive, but they cut really well. I have used feather in the past, but I always seem to nick myself with them. For cream I`m still a huge fan of Taylor of Old Bond Street.

I have some some clear shave gel that I use if I`m shaving in the shower, but the double edge safety razor (merkur guy here) just doesn`t work with the gels for me, it clogs the blades. I have to use a pro glide with the gels.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post
    Thanks Civicclutch thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love the lather of Taylor of old bond street, and it feels better during the shaving, but my skin seems better after the shave with pre de Provence. It`s weird.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered my new brush today. Will post up when it arrives!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes RMD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Man I didn`t realize there was so much to shaving as there is to detailing. I`ve always used Gillette blades now currently pro glide and a Gillette aerosol gel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    Man I didn`t realize there was so much to shaving as there is to detailing. I`ve always used Gillette blades now currently pro glide and a Gillette aerosol gel

Try a Merkur 34C (Beginner blade) + Feather blades + proraso soap... You`ll never go back!
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Try a Merkur 34C (Beginner blade) + Feather blades + proraso soap... You`ll never go back!
    Where do I find this stuff cause I`ve always gotten my stuff from Wally World also known as walmart

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    Where do I find this stuff cause I`ve always gotten my stuff from Wally World also known as walmart

Some Wally Worlds carries Wet shave supplies by Van Der Hagen. I use the Van Der Hagen Luxury soap a lot and it works great. They carry a Razor and blades in the same brand but I can`t say much for either but I wouldn`t pay $4 for a 5 pack of blades either.

As for a Merkur 34c they are a nice razor and can be had on Amazon or google it and you will find a lot of shave shops that carry it. West Coast Shaving or Maggard`s are big places to shop at. I wouldn`t suggest Feathers for a first time user. I would suggest Wilkinson Sword Classic myself for a starter. Check your locally owned drugstore, ours has the blade I mentioned, a couple soaps to choose from. I hear even Walgreen`s carries some stuff.

I have been a member of Badger and Blade forums since I started in January and has a lot of information. Don`t get hooked as the acquisition disorder is as bad as detailing!
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Badger and Blade is great, killer info on there.

Definitely, pick up a 34C on amazon, it`s the best beginner DE out.

Feathers are VERY sharp but they are amazing for sensitive skin and require zero pressure.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread Information