Post Thanks / Like

Old guy need help understanding Paypal

So I found a laptop on CL w/ apple care @ a great price and wanted to buy it. Kid said he is no longer local to me because he went home for Christmas break.

My laptop craped put so I needed one.

He suggests I paypal $ to him and then he will ship. I called papyal set up account and sent the $

Days later no laptop. I called and the kid said I could not get the $ out of my account so I canceled the delivery.

I called paypal and they said did you receive the goods? I said NO.

They said the seller is unverified and that is why the money is in a safe spot. I cant pull back, he cant get until we are both happy.

I called kid he said- you`er a scammer. I said BS I sent the money you just need to deliver so I can tell paypal you delivered.

Kid tells me deals off. I told Paypal I don`t know if I got almost scammed and protected (kid would not provide tracking #) or if this kid thinks I was scamming him.

Please tell me how this works.

My credit card was hit the $, its not back yet 1 week. but paypal said they are in the refund process.

I am about to make a 2nd purchase and use Paypal, I want o avoid another issue, can you explain this to me?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old guy need help understanding Paypal

I would never deal remotely with anyone on CL, so many scammers nowadays and the kid could have been guilt tripping you to really scam you instead. I`ve only used paypal to purchase from verified sources/vendors with stores and plenty of reviews, something to track them back if anything goes wrong.

Just keep an eye on the Paypal crew if they already confirmed they will get you a refund. What is this "safe spot" they are keeping your money in?

When dealing through CL, IMHO one should only deal in cash,in person, in a public place and in day light.
    Likes KBsToy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As an old man myself (68)...Make sure that the seller whoever it is is verified....I would stick with an established company...Always computer deals on Ebay and your protected...Hope this helps some....
    Likes Stokdgs, KBsToy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sincee my account is new and the seller was unverified they put the money out of everyone reach until we are both happy I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    I would never deal remotely with anyone on CL, so many scammers nowadays and the kid could have been guilt tripping you to really scam you instead. I`ve only used paypal to purchase from verified sources/vendors with stores and plenty of reviews, something to track them back if anything goes wrong.

Just keep an eye on the Paypal crew if they already confirmed they will get you a refund. What is this "safe spot" they are keeping your money in?

When dealing through CL, IMHO one should only deal in cash,in person, in a public place and in day light.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    I would never deal remotely with anyone on CL
    Same. I would NEVER do that.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

1) Don`t use Paypal unless dealing with a trusted source you know or a site that uses their store/payment system exclusively like eBay, which affords buyers and sellers both protections.

2) If you log into your Paypal account online there should be a hold on any money you sent. The fact that this kid didn`t send you a tracking number is unbelievable. as others have said, don`t deal remotely with Craigslist, ever. However, make sure to call PP back and get confirmation the transaction is being cancelled or otherwise reversed to your account since you were never provided tracking information.

I have had very, very bad luck with Paypal. If they say they are refunding it, make sure you are documenting everyone you speak with if it`s not already done for you electronically(email or their internal system)

Last year I sold something on eBay for about $800. I have a verified PayPal account that`s connected to a bank account. I sent out the package with delivery confirmation and signature requirement and FedEx screwed the pooch and didn`t obtain either. The guy(who definitely got the product) took advantage of this, went in and reversed the transaction through PayPal and they went in and took it directly out of my bank account without telling me anything. When I tried to open a case they basically told me tough luck even though I had proof it was delivered. It was really quite unbelievable. Months later I finally got them to refund half of it and FedEx another $100. Good luck, I hope they don`t screw you like they did me.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on the be careful with purchases especially on craigslist. Like someone said above cash in person public place and test. As far as buying a laptop used on craigslist....probably not a great plan. Most of them are old and broken, crazy high priced at least in my area. Go to a website like slickdeals.net or fatwallet.com. search for laptop and you will see many deals with reviews in a large variety of types sizes and brands. A lot of times you can get a cheap new one for what many people ask for an old one on craigslist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Sincee my account is new and the seller was unverified they put the money out of everyone reach until we are both happy I guess.
    Yes, that is correct. It is called "buyer protection". It most likely will be held for around 5-10 days and then you have the option to request a refund. You won`t be charged any fees and your money will be put back in your account. It is just frustrating because the money is not accessible. The buyer protection pretty much says as a buyer through PayPal you don`t have to worry about anything as long as you do not "gift" the money and PayPal will do whatever they need to so you don`t get scammed. If you gift the money you are not protected by "buyer protection" so watch out for those people.

Advice as a buyer:
    Never "gift" any money to anyone you do not know personally. Buyer protection goes out the window and it is not covered for any theft/scam, nor does the seller need to provide any "proof".

Advice as a seller:
    Always, I mean always use PayPal to print out shipping labels. It will save you trouble in the future if there is any dispute. Always use UPS or FedEx for any type of shipping because it is tracked anywhere in the world.

Long story short, I sold an old iPhone to a gentlemen in Europe and he asked for it to be sent postal. I didn`t realize that once it goes over seas that it can no longer be tracked. So he disputed it as not being delivered and I had zero proof that it was either. So I was out $350 and he got the phone for free.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

Old guy need help understanding Paypal

I just went through something similar selling a Rupes - my dude turned out to be legit and everything worked out.

Basically, the way I understand it, is if you sell something on eBay (doesn`t apply here) and use eBay`s shipping label - PP will "hold" the money until 3 days after the verified delivery date.

If you use an alternate method - it`s 21 days after the transaction.

I`ve been using PP sporadically for years and never remember this - so, I`m guessing it`s something fairly recent.

However, the money does show in PP as "pending", so all dude would have to do is call PP or ask someone what the deal is. I believe PP isn`t 100% forthcoming about this - meaning, I can`t recall ANYWHERE during the transaction where it said I wouldn`t get my money until this time has passed. It`s prolly buried somewhere on their website.

This isn`t a big deal here, but imagine if I sold a car and needed the money to buy a new one and had to wait 21 days. Pay Pal now sux IMHO. Prolly work out better going on the Deep Web and using Bitcoin.

Also, I recommend using CASH for Craig`s List goods or......"services". Lolz.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys I`m not PP craigslist anymore. Local in person only.

Post Thanks / Like

I just sold a couple of items and wanted to transfer funds to my bank account. Found out PP will only transfer $500.00 a month.

You really have to read the fine print or learn from your experiences with PP. I will not do CC..

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure when the hold was put on your transaction, but i just recieved an email about a class action settlement against paypal from paypal. This may apply to your situation.

NOTICE OF CLASS-ACTION SETTLEMENT.

THIS NOTICE MAY AFFECT YOUR RIGHTS. PLEASE READ IT CAREFULLY.

A settlement has been reached in a class action in which the plaintiffs allege, among other things, that PayPal improperly handled disputed transactions on PayPal accounts and improperly placed holds and reserves on accounts or closed or suspended accounts. Plaintiffs also allege that PayPal failed to provide annual error-resolution notices and monthly account statements under the Electronic Fund Transfer Act.

You are a member of the Settlement Class if you had an active PayPal account between April 19, 2006 and Nov. 5, 2015. Certain Settlement Class Members who had a hold or reserve placed on their account and/or who had their account closed or suspended by PayPal are eligible to receive a monetary payment upon submission of a valid claim form.

This notice summarizes the proposed settlement. For the precise terms and conditions of the settlement, please see the Settlement Agreement available at Zepeda v. PayPal - Home, by accessing the Court docket in this case through the Court`s Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) system at https://ecf.cand.uscourts.gov, or by visiting the office of the Clerk of the Court for the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, 1301 Clay Street, Oakland, CA 94612, between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding Court holidays.

PLEASE DO NOT TELEPHONE THE COURT OR THE COURT CLERK`S OFFICE TO INQUIRE ABOUT THIS SETTLEMENT OR THE CLAIM PROCESS.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Thread Information