Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Power Drill vs Impact Drill

I am getting an impact drill for lug nut removal at the track.

I also have been needing a power drill I can use instead of the corded monster I have for things like polishing wheels and headlights. I`d like to be able to use a power drill to do headlight resto`s at work on my lunch break. (hey-easy money is hard to turn down)

Could I use the impact for this as well or would it have too much RPM/torque?

I am probably going to end up getting a package with both but wanted to ask.

So

If I need a drill as well, what is a good one to get?
    I see ACC sells a Makita one but I`m hearing DeWalt is the brand to go with.

Thanks in advance.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Power Drill vs Impact Drill

An impact drill doesn`t have the guts that an impact wrench does or the ability to remove lugnuts. An impact wrench might deliver seveal hudred lb/ft of torque. Designed with totally different uses in mind. The impact wrench will likely weigh over 6 lbs. You`ll want one of each. One other thought here, if I could pick only one, a drill vs. an impact drill I`d pick an impact everytime. If I were going to use the drill primarily for polishing I`d pick a regular drill, leaving the impact out but still cordless. These are cheaper and weigh less.

My DeWalt products have been very nice. I did however burn up a DeWalt impact drill building my house 10 years ago. I used it to the point of abuse, it didn`t owe me anything. I`m still using DeWalt for both of the purposes you have listed.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    An impact drill doesn`t have the guts and impact wrench does or the ability to remove lugnuts. An impact wrench might deliver seveal hudred lb/ft of torque. Designed with totally different uses in mind. The impact wrench will likely weigh over 6 lbs. You`ll want one of each. One other thought here, if I could pick only one, a drill vs. an impact drill I`d pick an impact everytime. If I were going to use the drill primarily for polishing I`d pick a regular drill, leaving the impact out but still cordless. These are cheaper and weigh less.

My DeWalt products have been very nice. I did however burn up a DeWalt impact drill building my house 10 years ago. I used it to the point of abuse, it didn`t owe me anything. I`m still using DeWalt for both of the purposes you have listed.
    sorry I meant impact wrench I`m just that mechanically uninclined apparently, haha

oh the drill (for polishing) is there any rpm or wattage that is MIN req? I mean do I really need the $250-300 drill or would a lower cost one suffice...I don`t want to regret the purchase later I don`t mind paying for quality up front. I know I will need one with a good lithium ion battery or whatever the good battery`s are. It seems most of the drills are around the same rpm etc just varys based off what type of brand/battery is with it.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Us your da for headlights. I do

Post Thanks / Like

If you need the drill for tight spots in wheels or something you can likely get by with a less expensive drill. Perhaps a Craftsman or Ridgid, maybe even a Harbor Freight. No minimum requirements but you probably want something in the 18 volt or better range. 2nd the DA for for headlights.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have a setup I`m VERY happy with...

Bosch PS31 = perfect rotary speed, 400 - 1400 variable with a soft trigger.

Bosch IDH182 = amazing, light an powerful
    Likes 512detail, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Us your da for headlights. I do
    So far im using my megs da drill adapter w 3inch thin foam wool pads with either uber compound or bf src compound.

But i would like to be able to polish headlights without a power cord if i need to. Plus being a new homeowner i need a drill anyways

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I still need a small DA, rupes or griots..its on the big list

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    I currently have a setup I`m VERY happy with...

Bosch PS31 = perfect rotary speed, 400 - 1400 variable with a soft trigger.

Bosch IDH182 = amazing, light an powerful
    Soft trigger sounds nice

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Impacts and drills are 2 different animals. Most impacts don`t have a standard chuck that you can use things like drill bits with. They usually have a 1/4" hex socket. While they do deliver high torque, it is FAR from smooth in terms of the power transfer. They are called impact for a reason, there is a small hammer that spins around and hits a little stop inside that gives the tool its power. That`s also where that tapping sound comes from when using one. This would be nowhere near ideal for polishing as when the tool is under load, rotation stops until the hammer comes around again and it moves, then stops again until the next time around. So I wouldn`t even consider it an option to polish anything.

your cordless drills almost all have a variable speed trigger, as well as 2 torque or speed settings (low rpm/hi torque or hi rpm/low torque) one good for driving screws, other for drilling. Either way you have good control over the speed.

i have used both dewalt and makita tools and IMO the makita tools are superior. Not saying the dewalt tools are bad, but makita just seems to have a better feel and build quality. You can`t really go wrong either way. When shopping you can usually find a combo kit with a drill, impact driver, 2 batteries and a charger for $150-$200. Keep in mind the standard batteries are typically 1-1.5 Ah. Which aren`t bad and last plenty long. But you may want to consider the 3+ Ah batteries that more than double the use from a single charge. These batteries are very expensive though costing upwards of $120 for a 2 pack (always look for them in a pack of 2 for the best price).

as stated before, look for a minimum 18v battery, and be sure to get lithium as well. Lithium batteries have a constant power until they die, then they just cut out all together. While a regular battery will slowly lose power until it will barely run anything.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail

Post Thanks / Like

Just to throw another hat in the ring...I have owned them all but imho Milwaukee is the toughest and most reliable. I have burned more Dewalt tools up than I care to count. Of course.I have been told more than once I am rough on tools, lol Unless you spring for the XRP, those are solid. The great thing about the Milwaukee is you can buy individual tools that use the same battery packs. I have had workers drop my Milwaukee tools from lifts on concrete and they are still being used today. Like Gearhead said, for everyday use, and impact wins all day.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSkip333 View Post
    Just to throw another hat in the ring...I have owned them all but imho Milwaukee is the toughest and most reliable. I have burned more Dewalt tools up than I care to count. Of course.I have been told more than once I am rough on tools, lol Unless you spring for the XRP, those are solid. The great thing about the Milwaukee is you can buy individual tools that use the same battery packs. I have had workers drop my Milwaukee tools from lifts on concrete and they are still being used today. Like Gearhead said, for everyday use, and impact wins all day.
    +! for Milwaukee drills, and tools in general..
    These guys are tough !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a buy once kinda guy so almost all my power tools are Bosch. Used to buy Milwaukee until China but they were real tools. Hitachi is inexpensive but decent quality.

Dewalt is Black and Decker only yellow.

Post Thanks / Like

I practically built my house with a 12v Bosch impact driver. The torque those things put out is unbelievable.However, if I were in your shoes, I`d get a Rigid 18v drill/driver set at home depot for $150 or so.The no questions asked warranty can`t be beat. I think it applies for the batteries too....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Impacts and drills are 2 different animals. Most impacts don`t have a standard chuck that you can use things like drill bits with. They usually have a 1/4" hex socket. While they do deliver high torque, it is FAR from smooth in terms of the power transfer. They are called impact for a reason, there is a small hammer that spins around and hits a little stop inside that gives the tool its power. That`s also where that tapping sound comes from when using one. This would be nowhere near ideal for polishing as when the tool is under load, rotation stops until the hammer comes around again and it moves, then stops again until the next time around. So I wouldn`t even consider it an option to polish anything.

your cordless drills almost all have a variable speed trigger, as well as 2 torque or speed settings (low rpm/hi torque or hi rpm/low torque) one good for driving screws, other for drilling. Either way you have good control over the speed.

i have used both dewalt and makita tools and IMO the makita tools are superior. Not saying the dewalt tools are bad, but makita just seems to have a better feel and build quality. You can`t really go wrong either way. When shopping you can usually find a combo kit with a drill, impact driver, 2 batteries and a charger for $150-$200. Keep in mind the standard batteries are typically 1-1.5 Ah. Which aren`t bad and last plenty long. But you may want to consider the 3+ Ah batteries that more than double the use from a single charge. These batteries are very expensive though costing upwards of $120 for a 2 pack (always look for them in a pack of 2 for the best price).

as stated before, look for a minimum 18v battery, and be sure to get lithium as well. Lithium batteries have a constant power until they die, then they just cut out all together. While a regular battery will slowly lose power until it will barely run anything.

I agree, I think the milwakee`s have the most power out of the bunch. I had both the fuel line an the bosch but for me the ergonomics of the bosch were a bit better. Durability they are definitely the same as I`m pretty tough on my tools but the bosch also weighed a little less. To me reliability and ergonomics are number one, just because my 90% of my work is detailing. If I were using it for heavy shop work it would be the milwaukee hands down. Either way they are both great lines, unless of course you can afford to splurge on festool

Also some metabo`s are great as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information