Post Thanks / Like

I Might Need To Stay Home

My son is playing baseball this year in the Cal Ripken AA division....this is a great age because they really learn about the game, get to wear uniforms and all the gear...The team has two real great coaches that have worked many season together...At last nights game we played a team that is undefeated 5 & 0 and we are 3 & 2...the game goes 0-0 until the 3rd inning and we come up 2 - 0....into the 4th inning they score 3...... its 3-2....now the rules are the game can be either it lasts 90 minutes or goes 6 innings...which ever comes first....The game goes un-changed into the bottom of the 5 th inning....However coming into the bottom 5th inning...I notice that the pitcher on there team is taking his time throwing the ball to the point that people in the stands are wondering what`s up....there where other obvious time wasting things he was doing, playing with his socks tying his shoe, missing the ball from the catcher....He was also watching the coaches almost every pitch and they where using hand singles of some sorts...either that or one of the coaches had some darn funny nervous twitches....LOL......then it strikes me that the game is coming close to the time limit and he`s STALLING THE GAME for the win....I look over again at the coaches of the other team and they are almost laughing knowing that they are going to get a win by time.....Sure enough coming into the start of the 6th inning the empire calls the game based on time as we have only 10 minutes left in play...

I know that this is a age that its for the kids to learn how to play the game and have fun....However there are some parents / coaches that can`t seem to let it just be that...the win is more important than the kids learning experience.
    I just have to shake my head and wonder what any parent / coach can get from winning a kids baseball game.

I`m a very competitive person and love to win but I also know how to lose.

I might need to stay home for the games or stuff a sock in my mouth.....LOL
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I Might Need To Stay Home

Parents trying to live out their ambitions through their children. I see the same thing a lot around here. I play softball in the spring for church, and the girls softball fields are out there beside ours. Wouldn`t you know there are parents out there screaming at kids, screaming at officials, and just generally displaying bad sportsmanship. I even know of some parents who punish their children for having bad games. I think it`s pretty ridiculous myself. Instead of teaching the kids how to play with class, the parents and most of the coaches do the exact opposite. I understand that you play to win, but at such a young age, it`s a shame to expose kids to how to play dirty. I guess it`s preparing them for life in the real world.......
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like

It`s called strategy and it looks like they had one.

Whether it`s right or wrong, I don`t know. I just know that it worked and I would probably have done it if I coached a team.

It may have caused some parents to have some words for me but I would have taken it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzz
    It`s called strategy and it looks like they had one.

Whether it`s right or wrong, I don`t know. I just know that it worked and I would probably have done it if I coached a team.

It may have caused some parents to have some words for me but I would have taken it.
    FUZZ

Welcome back!!

The strategy in this game at this age level...is to train the kids to understand the games mechanics and rules....practice as much as you can to get a good work team and hope that you can win based on that....but surely not by some parents / coaches personal agenda....That`s what last nights game was it was to me poor sportsmanship at this level of play

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

That is a weak strategy. Especially at that age. It`s people like that that are proud of finding a way to "beat the system" rather than doing the right thing. Teach the kids to play hard, play with intensity, and try their best along with playing with sportmanship and then the game will take care of itself.

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy
    FUZZ

Welcome back!!

The strategy in this game at this age level...is to train the kids to understand the games mechanics and rules....practice as much as you can to get a good work team and hope that you can win based on that....but surely not by some parents / coaches personal agenda....That`s what last nights game was it was to me poor sportsmanship at this level of play
    Thanks for the welcome. It`s good to be back. I was going through a severe bout of depression after a botched colonoscopy and needed some time alone.

I agree that the kids need to be taught the fundamentals and that the dads/coaches probably did the wrong thing. It`s probably a good thing that I don`t coach a team cause I would be a bad influence on youngsters.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome. It`s good to be back. I was going through a severe bout of depression after a botched colonoscopy and needed some time alone.

I`m glad that everything comes out better now!

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

It`s probably a good thing that I don`t coach a team cause I would be a bad influence on youngsters.
    What if it were a team learning how to pick up the chicks? I would think that your influence might not be so bad there.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter just finished her 1st season of coach pitch soft ball. both teams batted twice and feilded twice. Everyone gets to hit, and everyone plays. There was no score keeping. Everyone got trophies at the end of the season. It was great for the kids. Though...I seen parents who would act like it was the major league and go ape $hit. It gets crazy at times, and you just have to wonder what type of parents they are......
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Don't shop at Wal-Mart
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB
    My daughter just finished her 1st season of coach pitch soft ball. both teams batted twice and feilded twice. Everyone gets to hit, and everyone plays. There was no score keeping. Everyone got trophies at the end of the season. It was great for the kids. Though...I seen parents who would act like it was the major league and go ape $hit. It gets crazy at times, and you just have to wonder what type of parents they are......
    How old is your daughter?

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

she will be 6 this month
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Don't shop at Wal-Mart
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to guage the age against the "no one loses" policy of the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsatek
    I just wanted to guage the age against the "no one loses" policy of the game.
    In T ball and coach pitch the game is that everyone plays and gets a chance to hit...with my son sometimes he would be up there for 10 plus pitches before he would hit the ball...I use to say that it was more the pitcher trying the bat....LOL

Then with Machine pitch and kid pitch its more about the fundamentals of the game, you keep score but really its about learning where the plays are at and developing team work.

However at all levels so far there are always the parents that think its the majors no matter what....That alone pisses me off...I`m out there for the kids and cheer a good hit or play no matter what team it is....these guys are 8 to 11 years old...there children

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Thread Information